Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bone meal?  (Read 2548 times)

Menelvagor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Bone meal?
« on: November 01, 2007, 04:15:00 pm »

Hey everyone I was just looking through the options for stockpiles and came across something ...disturbing.
one of the options under food was bone meal. i tried to make it at a quern but there was no option for it.
Any idea what bone meal is and how to get it?
quot;Love is the fire of life, it either consumes or purifies."

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bone meal?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »

probably by grinding bone at a mill.  bonemeal was traditionally used as a thickening agent in food, like you might use starch for today.  check it out in your favorite encyclopedia.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 04:56:00 pm »

Correct. That and bone marrow is *EXTREMELY* rich in calories.  IIRC it's why hyenas have such strong jaws...as partial scavangers they dont really need them that strong except to break the bone to get at the marrow, and cavepeople ate it as well.  I'm not positive about the hyena's jaws but thats why I said IIRC (if I recall correctly).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 11:50:00 pm »

I think you can use it as component in fertilization, which'll come later.  Right now, it's just a flavor item that occurs here and there.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 12:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jaqie Fox:
<STRONG>Correct. That and bone marrow is *EXTREMELY* rich in calories.  IIRC it's why hyenas have such strong jaws...as partial scavangers they dont really need them that strong except to break the bone to get at the marrow, and cavepeople ate it as well.  I'm not positive about the hyena's jaws but thats why I said IIRC (if I recall correctly).</STRONG>

You are correct. Hyenas have the strongest jaws of any living land animal, and they're quite capable of devouring an entire animal, bones and skull included.

Crocodiles, now they're interesting. They swallow most of their meal whole (well, in large chunks), including the heads of horned animals! Their digestive acids are so powerful they break down bone, horn, and antler in short order. In fact, their gut is so tough it can dissolve iron.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 12:15:00 am »

Yeah, Toady, bone meal is great for a lot of agricultural uses. It's a major nitrogen supplement for soil, and aside from being good for plants, it makes a great additive to mushroom compost. The little buggers just love the extra nitrogen it packs.

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Skeeblix ]

This is not a signature.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »

I thought it was mainly for phosphorous.  At least according to all these NPK tables I downloaded.  I still haven't decided exactly how much to torture you all with that sort of thing.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 07:55:00 pm »

I think the correct answer may be "A lot", or even "As much as possible".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 09:08:00 pm »

I think it would be better to have it as a choice, A. you get a simplified system of fertilizer. Or B. you get a 'blow your f'ing mind' complicated system.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 11:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I thought it was mainly for phosphorous.  At least according to all these NPK tables I downloaded.  I still haven't decided exactly how much to torture you all with that sort of thing.</STRONG>

More detail? I'm already playing DF with two Wikis opened and one dictionary, so no problem. I thought I found something I could brew into a drink for my dwarves, and then I was all happy.

Shortly after I found out you cannot brew "Limon-Aid" from "Limonite".