Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Samurai Mod 0.2 (4 Jan 2014)  (Read 19266 times)

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Samurai Mod 0.2 (4 Jan 2014)
« on: January 03, 2014, 09:33:23 pm »

I have finally decided to attempt my first foray into modding in the form of
\\----------------------//
THE SAMURAI MOD
(working title)
_----------------------_
Starting simple, I have decided to implement various medieval Japanese weapons and pieces of armor and clothing in DF.
A race or two, castes, equipment and other stuff could follow, potentially.

But for now, this is what comes in the package:

Currently implemented

Houken Kazokutachi
These are a human civilization following the theme of feudal Japan. Their rulers are shoguns, who in turn appoint daimyos as military and civil administrators*, who have the samurai at their command.
In fortress mode you will have a daimyo as the leader of your settlement (a noble, mind you).

* Historically inaccurate as shoguns needed the support of daimyos to maintain their rule, but since there is no unification here and no emperor, shoguns are absolute rulers here.

Planned
Spoiler: Mythological creatures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Other (click to show/hide)

Changelog
0.2 Civilization added
Added a new civilization type for humans. It is playable both in adventure and in fortress mode. For now this is the only civilization which can make modded stuff.

0.1 Initial release
Added hachiwara, bokken, kaiken, kama, katana, odachi, wakizashi, shitagi, dou, hakama, fundoshi, kyahan, suneate, haidate, kabuto, mengu, kote, tabi and waraji. Weapons will probably need balancing, and armour layering is provisional.

Download
Github

Now, this being my first mod and all, it is very probable I will have committed heinous crimes in the way the raws are put together. I've had difficulty with layering, so if you spot any inconsistencies I'd be happy to hear about them. I'd really appreciate any feedback you may have. This includes both from the technical and the historical standpoints.

Thanks for trying it out!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:42:22 pm by Sallen »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: The Samurai Mod
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:02:00 pm »

Interesting...

I like the idea of the mod.  This looks like something that could and should be expanded upon.

Whether or not you choose to do so, welcome to the modding community.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 10:05:27 pm »

Whether or not you choose to do so, welcome to the modding community.

I extend the same welcome.  I would reccomend that you use DFFD instead of Dropbox, though.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 06:05:18 am »

Thank you! I uploaded it to DFFD instead.

I certainly intend to expand on this idea, but I have no clue towards what. This mod will be my training grounds as I learn the different aspects of modding DF. I'm liking it already!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 06:36:09 am »

You could do a dojo that adds new interactions to dwarves. Range:1, hint:attack, which simulate martial arts in combat.

"The dwarf takes on the snake-form and chops the goblin in the throat."
"The goblin is stunned."
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 06:41:47 am »

PTW.

Samurais are fucking badass.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 08:04:49 am »

You could do a dojo that adds new interactions to dwarves. Range:1, hint:attack, which simulate martial arts in combat.

"The dwarf takes on the snake-form and chops the goblin in the throat."
"The goblin is stunned."

I'm currently making a human samurai civilization with Japanese language files and all, but this dojo thing is definitely coming. Great idea!
Is it possible to restrict interactions depending on the object being wielded? I'm a total newbie at this, but it would rock to have different martial arts depending on your weapon of choice.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: The Samurai Mod 0.2 (4 Jan 2014)
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 12:12:05 pm »

DFHack itemsyndrome script can allow you to do this, applying a syndrome that gives the ability to do an interaction, specific to a given class of item, IIRC.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 09:21:32 pm »

Yes, albeit a bit more complex. Here is an example from LfR:

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:DFHACK_ITEMSYNDROME_MATERIAL_FLAYER] => ID with dfhack in it.
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_VAPOR_TEMPLATE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:flayer] => Weapon name. Imporant.
[SYN_CLASS:DFHACK_ITEM_SYNDROME] => this is the tag the script is looking for
[SYN_CLASS:DFHACK_WIELDED_ONLY] => only on weapon in inventories
[CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:0] => gives a special interaction
  [CDI:INTERACTION:FLAYER_WEAPON_SKILL_LFR]
    [CDI:ADV_NAME:Inflict pain]
      [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
    [CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
    [CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:2]
  [CDI:TARGET_VERB:feel the painful presence of a nearby flayer:feels the painful presence of a nearby flayer]
    [CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:20]
    [CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:50]
  [CDI:FREE_ACTION]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_FLAYER]
[NAME:flayer:flayers]
[SIZE:300]
[SKILL:WHIP]
[TWO_HANDED:25500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:20500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:2]
[ATTACK:EDGE:100:10:lash:lashes:NO_SUB:1800]
[ATTACK:EDGE:100:10:whip:whips:many tongues:1700]

This example allows all warrior that carry the weapon "flayer" to do the AoE attack it describes, and makes every enemy nearby "feel the pain of a flayer".

The interaction itself is this one:
[INTERACTION:FLAYER_WEAPON_SKILL_LFR]
[I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]
[I_TARGET:C:CREATURE]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_CANNOT_TARGET_IF_ALREADY_AFFECTED]
[IT_MANUAL_INPUT:target]
[IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:OLD_GOD_LFR]
[IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:HEX_IMMUNITY]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:C]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_CLASS:HEX_LFR]
[SYN_NAME:flayer exposure]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:OLD_GOD_LFR]
          [SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:CARBUNCLE_LFR:FEMALE_SPEC_FIVE]
[CE_PAIN:SEV:1400:PROB:100:BP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN:START:0:PEAK:60:END:100]
[CE_PAIN:SEV:600:PROB:100:BP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:MUSCLE:START:0:PEAK:60:END:100]
[CE_BLEEDING:SEV:100:PROB:80:BP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN:START:0:PEAK:1:END:100]

The interaction will work with ANY flayer, no matter the material. Iron flayers, silk flayers, steel flayers, they all have it, because the dfhack_itemsyndrome thing is only looking for the fitting weapon name.

Hope this helps to get started. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 09:32:39 pm »

Thank you a lot! Yes, this looks like will be enough to get me started. I'll want to plan it carefully, so it may take a while.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 11:04:28 pm »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iuo3uuoxtvckth/objects.zip

A samurai/sengoku mod was the first type of mod I wanted to do a long time ago, I threw together weapons, entitys, langauges, etc. There's the raws I have, the sengoku ones are free for you to use if theres anything you want to pick out of them. I originally had the idea of doing a 4 entity samurai thing, for the 4 elements and having them all fight each other. Obviously not complete, but you know.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 12:03:51 pm »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iuo3uuoxtvckth/objects.zip

A samurai/sengoku mod was the first type of mod I wanted to do a long time ago, I threw together weapons, entitys, langauges, etc. There's the raws I have, the sengoku ones are free for you to use if theres anything you want to pick out of them. I originally had the idea of doing a 4 entity samurai thing, for the 4 elements and having them all fight each other. Obviously not complete, but you know.

There's a lot of stuff from this that I would include, with you permission and credit, of course.
You were much further ahead from what I can see. I will study this and see how I can combine all of it.

How did you obtain the language file? I did mine via lazy Google translation and I've noticed they're different, yours and mine, and I'm trying to decide which would give better results.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 01:51:43 pm »

The random language generating tool. None of it is a real translation unless by coincidence. It just builds words out of a lot of words and names taken from the language to create something that sounds a lot like it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 12:04:37 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4352

This one has japanese included, RL translation. I know the german, dutch, english, spanish ones being correct, so I assume the japanese is as well.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 09:09:28 pm »

Would "The Fuedal Familes", or "Hōken kazoku" (Thank you google translate!) be a better name than "The Samurai People"? It's been bugging me, but I honestly couldn't come up with much that was better...

Also, is it possible to have Shruiken(Throwing Knives) as a ammo fired from...Shriuken Scabbard or something similar? That'd be neat, but probably hard to implement in a way which isn't awkward...

Well, I hope this helps you somehow. It's suggestions, I freely admit it, so please don't hate me.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i
Pages: [1] 2 3