Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarfy Disillusionment  (Read 2879 times)

Zed

• Bay Watcher
  • Fool of a Took
    • View Profile
Dwarfy Disillusionment
« on: January 04, 2014, 11:12:30 pm »

Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster. I've played Dwarf Fortress a lot and as of late it seems to have lost its luster. I've done above ground, seclusion, sacrificing migrants to a statue of Armok, and a city built entirely in a pyramid. I'm tired of making (relatively) the same fort, trouncing foes, and getting bored, resulting in a trip to the circus. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get myself out of this rut? Megaprojects, challenges, anything really dorfy. Suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance.
Urist McNoble cancelled living: interrupted by !!FUN!!

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfy Disillusionment
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 11:50:18 pm »

um....don't play and do something else?

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:46:38 am »

Pretty much what ancistrus said. I find that the best way to play is to play whenever the mood strikes me or when I think of a new concept I'd like to explore, or when there's a new version out and there's just tons of new stuff to dig into. If you play too much things do get a bit samey.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 12:48:27 am »

Squirt guns are fun to build... and also rather impressive to watch in action. It takes a few years to assemble one, though. The one I built for the PDS (Paradox Development Studio) Forum was assembled out of nearly 6000 parts.
Never pet a burning dog.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 01:08:50 am »

Carve an above-ground fort out of the living rock. Channel down from the surface to make towers, houses, etc.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 01:32:41 am »

Did you try any mods?
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 03:33:24 am »

Colonize the circus. Trap the clowns in cages and shoot them at any goblins stupid enough to attack your fort.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 03:38:48 am »

I know these feels. You have 3 choices:
1. Stupid Dwarf Tricks and Megaconstructions (hell colonies, flying fortresses, challenge plays, etc.)
2. Mods (The Masterwork mod and Civilisation Forge mods are great fun)
3. Play other games.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 07:17:42 am »

When I get bored with fortmode I just gen worlds and look for weird geological formations/biomes. I found a great salt flat once (save is backed up) and got really obsessed with exporting slabs of salt. Right now I am in a frozen tiaga with a volcano. I'm trying to recreate one of my first forts (though that one had veins of cobalt running through the dining hall...)

Or if you are like me and are obsessive, try to find a site with a ridiculous amount of precious gems. (Emeralds are easiest, then diamonds, then rubys, but sapphires seem near not existent.)

e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 07:24:56 pm »

Try a new layout for your fortress, master burrow use.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 08:04:08 pm »

Taking a break is - like with every game - a good idea sometimes. I just came back to DF after a few months not playing at all.

Sometimes I rather play adventure mode for a while.

I have an older fort I like and I try to improve it and let it live as long as possible (it's just at 33 years now, but I want to make it to 100 someday). Having "history" with that fort and it's inhabitants adds something for me that I can come back to. Also I like the setup and the location, but there is always something to improve.

Then I spent a lot of time generating worlds to find the "perfect" spot in the "perfect" world.

Also I want to try to build more in a Moria/Erebor- like 3d architecture style, something I haven't done in great scale yet.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:05:52 pm by XXSockXX »

Joemit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 12:42:21 am »

Mod the game yourself. Try to see if you can add minigun-wielding dragons or tank monsters or put the LOTR map in the game and build Minas Tirith or add the ability to play as orcs and build Minas Morgul. Or do both.
Then build every single major settlement in LOTR and make a party consisting of the Fellowship and take a gold ring to throw in a volcano.
Here at dwarven !!SCIENCE!!s we reanimate the whole corpse! That's 60% more corpse per corpse!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 01:33:25 pm »

I came here to say, what I usually say: Try mods. ;) There is a wide selection for all tastes.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 06:28:43 pm »

I got bored after the fps death of my last fort, so I've decided to wait until the next release.  I don't want to be in the middle of Doomedfort the Doom of Doom and then the new version comes out.  If you wait until then, whenever it is, you'll  have had a break, and the new version will be interesting and different.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 06:38:29 pm »

That's why I am doing science fair activity fortresses.  Waiting for the new release myself.
Pages: [1] 2