Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playable egg-laying civilization shows no children  (Read 1564 times)

Major

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Playable egg-laying civilization shows no children
« on: January 05, 2014, 07:59:43 am »

I have made the following creature a playable entity:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It builds towns, breeds and goes to war, at least of screen.
In adventure mode, i wasn't able to find any children, although in some lairs i have found lizard woman eggs.
In fortress mode, after 4 years of ingame time, no children were born, and all migrants were always adults.

My question is, it is possible, for an intelligent egg-laying civilization, to display children (and not only calculate them off screen) and, in fortress mode to actually have children?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:29:57 am by Major »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playable egg-laying civilization shows no children
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 11:03:15 am »

Well, first thing I spy is that it has both littersize and clutch size. Secondly I've always thought that littersize goes under the female caste definition. Though I've failed to find any examples of this tag in raws right now.
Also isn't GENPOWER obsolete?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Major

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 11:28:30 am »

Well, first thing I spy is that it has both littersize and clutch size. Secondly I've always thought that littersize goes under the female caste definition. Though I've failed to find any examples of this tag in raws right now.
Also isn't GENPOWER obsolete?

If littersize isn't used at all, i should probaply delete it, although there should be a mention about that in the wiki. Genpower also.

Although i doubt that those two tokens were responsible, i will test the result.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 12:42:42 pm »

IIRC, egg laying civs are not currently supported beyond worldgen, as egg-layers require a nest box and civ creatures don't use them properly.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 01:31:11 pm »

I've made a few egg layers as civs. They should be able to lay eggs in nest boxes, though they need some oversight to keep them from eating their eggs. I remember I had one that would lay eggs in clutches of 8-13, so very many hatchlings were born to those creatures when I played them in fort mode. I can't remember if I ever saw them with children in adventure mode though.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Major

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 06:45:12 pm »

IIRC, egg laying civs are not currently supported beyond worldgen, as egg-layers require a nest box and civ creatures don't use them properly.

That seems to be the reason why i didn't met them in adventure mode, although i have no idea how i could propably fix this.

I've made a few egg layers as civs. They should be able to lay eggs in nest boxes, though they need some oversight to keep them from eating their eggs. I remember I had one that would lay eggs in clutches of 8-13, so very many hatchlings were born to those creatures when I played them in fort mode. I can't remember if I ever saw them with children in adventure mode though.

That seems to work. And the Mothers seem to have a priority to "sit" on their eggs, although it displays no job. They ignore parties (at least some of them).
The "Hatchlings" are also correctly identified as the children of the mother and their "father" (the person the mother is married to).

Thank you for your help.