Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Defense Overhaul - Community Edition  (Read 3072 times)

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Defense Overhaul - Community Edition
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 09:28:57 am »

I've got a hunch people having been seeing diggingInvaders very much because `enable diggingInvaders` wasn't in the dfhack.init file. (Nor is `enable fix-armory`, which definitely should be in there...). DFHack 3 might have been okay with this, DFHack 4 requires plug-ins to be explicitly enabled.  (`enable` on the DFHack prompt lists them all and their status.)

I've just enabled this in my Let's Play, because I can always do with more fun. :)

What mechanism does the GUI use for deciding if diggingInvaders is enabled or not? (This may be a question for splinterz...)

~ T

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 08:14:05 pm »

Few silly questions:

1. Can siegers bring siege engines? Perhaps a placeholder that transforms into a trebuchet upon entering the map.

2. Can they bring hellfire ammo? Cages filled with giant hamsters?

3. Can an object be created that partially or slowly deconstructs a single wall/tile? Because hellfire is a bit much.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:16:42 pm by There Is No Vic »

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 02:17:16 am »

I've got a hunch people having been seeing diggingInvaders very much because `enable diggingInvaders` wasn't in the dfhack.init file. (Nor is `enable fix-armory`, which definitely should be in there...). DFHack 3 might have been okay with this, DFHack 4 requires plug-ins to be explicitly enabled.  (`enable` on the DFHack prompt lists them all and their status.)

I've just enabled this in my Let's Play, because I can always do with more fun. :)

Thanks so much for this tip.. Should make sure Meph sees it, because even with digging invaders on in the GUI, they come up as off in DFHack, along with a whole bunch of other things that should likely be on (workflow, fixarmory, stable-temp, etc).   Guess I should look up what all of these actually do;  "misery" and "siege-engine" in particular have me curious.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:30:26 am by nukularpower »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 02:39:19 am »

Thanks so much for this tip.. Should make sure Meph sees it, because even with digging invaders on in the GUI, they come up as off in DFHack, along with a whole bunch of other things that should likely be on (workflow, fixarmory, stable-temp, etc).   Guess I should look up what all of these actually do;  "misery" and "siege-engine" in particular have me curious.
In r3 everything was working.  :o
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 05:06:46 am »

They seem to be working (though it's hard to tell with stable-temp) - they just default to disabled.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 05:17:35 am »

So the init just needs a "script/plugin-name enable" for all that are missing those.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 09:15:17 am »

I thought of a way to nerf the webturrets - just make the webs dissolve after a while.  They'll still be powerful in conjunction with traps, but at least you won't be able to use them for silk farming.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 09:18:05 am »

If that works, it would be wonderful. :)

I also thought about making them shoot globs of a ProjectileExpansion material that spawns webs when it hits the target. So instead of a web-spray its more of a web-bomb. Thought that would fit better for net-throwers, maybe even some spiders. But I havent gotten around to this.

Vanilla DF websprayers have 10 ticks wait time btw, in MDF its 300. Way less spammy.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 09:21:10 am »

What mechanism does the GUI use for deciding if diggingInvaders is enabled or not? (This may be a question for splinterz...)

~ T
the GUI just replaces the 'diggingInvaders' lines in dfhack.init with #removed. this section should also probably be revamped to separate digging vs building destruction, and possibly allowing the toggling of digging/building destruction on a per civ/race level (more into the grid, ugh.)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 09:26:47 am »

Before this is added I just want a single report about them actually working. Its in the mod for a while now, and not a single person wrote something like "the antmen tunneled into my fort", or "the frost giants deconstructed my walls". None. Which has me worried.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 09:39:53 am »

As far as I know, they only tunnel or smash when there is no pathing into the fort available. If you never turtle, they will use your entrance instead. That may contribute to them not being seen, I'm not sure. I play with them enabled but I've never seen them do it, but I don't turtle either.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 12:10:21 pm »

As far as the DFhack thing goes, since enabling Workflow, fixarmory, stable-temp, and a few others, I am getting pretty massive bugs in new-genned worlds.  Things like all my dwarves actually show up as Cave Sparrows - every time, on any world.  No idea why or how that could possibly happen, but it seems that enabling them by default might not be such a good idea.

Not sure which exactly did it - haven't had time to go through them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 12:20:43 pm »

As far as the DFhack thing goes, since enabling Workflow, fixarmory, stable-temp, and a few others, I am getting pretty massive bugs in new-genned worlds.  Things like all my dwarves actually show up as Cave Sparrows - every time, on any world.  No idea why or how that could possibly happen, but it seems that enabling them by default might not be such a good idea.

Not sure which exactly did it - haven't had time to go through them.
that has nothing to do with dfhack. You have duplicate creatures files. Check your errorlog.txt and post it please. :)

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 08:52:58 pm »

No need, you're right.  I had a backup of a file I was working on in there that I forgot to move.  D'oh.   Thanks anyways, though.

For the record, that backup came from me removing Giant Drowspiders from my game, so it does vaguely relate to this thread, haha.  After posting about them being in every seige here, I was (rather ironically) attacked by 3 goblin ambush squads at once, all mounted on Giant Drowspiders, that totally destroyed a drow caravan+gaurds, my 4-squad military, my steelclad mastiff swarm, and most of the rest of my fort's population.  Pushed me past the edge of wanting to deal with them anymore - balance issues with easy silk aside, they turn every goblin seige I get into basically fighting against the Spider Fiends from FD (which the manual says are the very worst.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:01:58 pm by nukularpower »

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 10:46:57 pm »

If that works, it would be wonderful. :)

I also thought about making them shoot globs of a ProjectileExpansion material that spawns webs when it hits the target. So instead of a web-spray its more of a web-bomb. Thought that would fit better for net-throwers, maybe even some spiders. But I havent gotten around to this.

Vanilla DF websprayers have 10 ticks wait time btw, in MDF its 300. Way less spammy.

That would be an interesting idea if it can work. I thought of similar, but was unsure if you could 'transform' non-organics into other non-organics. (globs into webs).

And yes, the web spray is much more sane not for turrets, but for bloody spiders. Prior to that change I could put 3-4 drow spiders vs 120+ siege (with no range) and the 3-4 drow would kill at least 50-100 of them without issue as they just spammed webs like a machine gun. Now, they are fairly balanced (I tested 10 drows vs 50 invaders and I lost 7 in that with only 10 kills).
Pages: 1 [2]