Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No nether-cap?  (Read 4463 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No nether-cap?
« on: January 06, 2014, 02:45:57 pm »

I found the 3rd cavern a while back.  However, I wasn't able to locate any nether-cap at all :(.  Is there still a chance for nether-cap to grow in empty soil tiles elsewhere or does this require at least 1 nether-cap tree down below?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 02:47:51 pm by VerdantSF »

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No nether-cap?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 02:50:35 pm »

I'm reasonably confident that if you don't have a plant type in the caverns already it won't appear anywhere else.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 02:55:53 pm »

I was afraid of that.  Required spores and all that.  Drat.  I wonder why nether-cap never grew in that cavern.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 03:02:11 pm »

It seems a bit random. When fiddling with world gen I noticed that if I created the exact same same world but with different history parameters, in some results the exact same embark would have slightly different underground trees, sometimes all, sometimes missing one or two. Nothing else seemed different (except the random stuff like underground civs and animals present).

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 03:03:25 pm »

Yeah, it's my understanding that basically, if you don't see it growing already in the caverns, you won't see it pop up in your tree farm/soil areas. That's a real bummer, because I happen to agree that Nether-cap is the coolest (get it!? harhar!) wood to have around. The always cold property of it is a really neat idea. Love to see it used as an ingredient in fancy dwarven artifacts and such :D

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 03:16:18 pm »

I want to make dragon turrets, but nether-cap buildings are the only ones that can withstand dragonfire :(.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 03:26:36 pm »

If it isn't a new fort and you can't start over, there is nothing you can do. Except maybe check the entire cavern very carefully in case you overlooked something. (It may be rare but possible IIRC to have different cavern biomes on the same cavern level.)

If you want to start over, just re-gen the world, but change history a bit or let in run slightly shorter or longer, embark at your spot and check with "reveal" what trees there are.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 04:14:10 pm »

If you don't object to DFHackery, you could potentially add nether-caps to the 3rd cavern layer to make them start growing. Exact details on how to do it can probably be found elsewhere.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 04:39:43 pm »

I want to make dragon turrets, but nether-cap buildings are the only ones that can withstand dragonfire :(.

What about dolomite?
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 04:41:57 pm »

Dragon fire is different from magma. Magma-safe != dragonproof.

Nethercap avoids the issue completely by being a constant, fixed temperature.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 04:52:57 pm »

Do you have any artifact doors or floodgates lying around? You could use those in lieu of bridges, which is what I assume you wanted the nether-cap for. You'll also need artifact mechanisms, but you'd need those with nether-cap bridges, anyway.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 05:44:40 pm »

Do you have any artifact doors or floodgates lying around? You could use those in lieu of bridges, which is what I assume you wanted the nether-cap for. You'll also need artifact mechanisms, but you'd need those with nether-cap bridges, anyway.

Oh, I totally forgot about those!  Thanks!

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 03:33:04 am »

I'm not entire sure that even DFHack would work. You'd be able to place those trees, but the spores that make new trees are not something you have control over. It is very unfortunate, I agree though, because I often have this problem with worldgen. Nether-Cap seems to have a lower priority in my experience, and often all I get is Bloodthorn. (which admittedly would be useful if Batista were more useful)
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 03:12:33 pm »

I'm not entire sure that even DFHack would work. You'd be able to place those trees, but the spores that make new trees are not something you have control over.
Actually, creating the spores is exactly what I was proposing, and DFHack is absolutely capable of doing that. Here's a Lua script which does it:

Code: [Select]
feat = df.global.world.cur_savegame.map_features[2]
num = #feat.feature.population
feat.feature.population:insert('#', { new = df.world_population, type = df.world_population_type.Tree, plant = dfhack.matinfo.find('PLANT:NETHER_CAP').index });
for i,j in pairs(df.global.world.populations) do if (j.population.cave_id == feat.layer and j.population.population_idx == num - 1) then df.global.world.populations:insert('#', { new = df.local_population, type = df.world_population_type.Tree, plant = dfhack.matinfo.find('PLANT:NETHER_CAP').index, population = {region_x = j.population.region_x, region_y = j.population.region_y, population_idx = num, cave_id = feat.layer, depth = feat.start_depth, unk_28 = -1 } } ) end end

Note that this assumes that the 3rd map feature in your embark is the 3rd cavern layer (e.g. if you type "feature list", then features 0-2 should all be "the cave" with type "subterranean_from_layer").

Also, artifact doors/floodgates are NOT immune to dragonfire - while artifacts cannot burn, they can definitely melt...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 03:17:47 pm »

Thanks for the script!
Pages: [1] 2