Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Succession Game Planning/Recruitment Thread  (Read 13226 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Succession Game Planning/Recruitment Thread
« on: January 07, 2014, 06:25:42 pm »

I've been wondering for some time why no thread like this already exists. Anyway, I went ahead and made it, in case it's something people would find useful.

This thread is intended to be a sounding board for potential community game ideas. Share your ideas and see if anyone is interested!
If anyone's interested, I threw together a random succession game idea generator. Another good resources is the Challenge Generator provided by the Dwarf Fortress players over at SomethingAwful. For those who are interested, I have an mod that optimizes DF for community gameplay here.

Alternatively, use this thread to advertise for your own ongoing succession game, although please don't spam; if you're looking for new overseers, make one post describing your game and asking for players with whatever qualities, and leave it at that. If your game goes utterly inactive or is over, it is considered good manners to edit your post to clarify that you're no longer seeking new players.

Collaboration is encouraged! If your proposed game is effectively a rip-off of a game that's already ongoing without an absurdly long list of players waiting for turns (although you can be surprised at how quickly the list can go with mass dropouts, or just uneventful years) that's probably a sign that you shouldn't make a new thread.

Have !!FUN!!, and go make a story that will entertain and terrify our foes/friends/impartial observers until the end of time!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:34:37 pm by MDFification »

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession Game Planning/Recruitment Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 07:57:53 pm »

this thread seams like a great idea
I have been toying around with the idea of a whaling Fort.
where their is almost no natural resources such as metal and trees so pretty much everything will be made of leather and bone with these as your only real trade goods. I would probably use masterwork as it has more systems for bone and leather working.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 08:36:54 pm »

this thread seams like a great idea
I have been toying around with the idea of a whaling Fort.
where their is almost no natural resources such as metal and trees so pretty much everything will be made of leather and bone with these as your only real trade goods. I would probably use masterwork as it has more systems for bone and leather working.

I remember someone caught whales once. That was in the mermaid farming thread. Might want to check it out. Only problem I can forsee is that it might take a long time to catch your first whale - will the fort survive until then?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 03:41:02 am »

I've got a few ideas... (You guys all know I'm coo-coo for new takes on this game.)

First off is "The Luckiest Tourist EVER" game, where people take turns guiding a tourist named Twoflower around a "small island" world as a tourist that always survives his excursions.  Players also build "scenic detours" so that eventually the island will be filled with "quaint native attractions".

Secondly is the "Iron Chef" succession game where people build fortresses right next to cities, with the sole purpose of creating expensive and rare drinks and "prepared foods", to be sold afterwards to a shop in the city which becomes a restaurant or pub famed for its exclusive food and drinks.  The game then becomes one of adventurers journeying to each exclusive pub with enough in trade items to purchase and consume one of these delicacies before moving on to the next one - a pilgrimage for food.

Thirdly, there's the community game where every dwarfed player chooses what their dwarf will do, and the person playing the game just makes seasonal updates.  In the "Lonely Mountain" embark I tried to set up a proper dwarven economy, but the game was paused by Christmas, and I got limited pleasure out of all the bookkeeping...

Fourthly, there's the "Build a city" game, where using nanofortress, each player in turn builds a 1x1 "district" or "city block" of a great dwarven city, with the proviso that each embark is adjacent to one that came before (except the first one, naturally.) The one I'm currently hosting happens to also be using "Embark Everywhere" to situate the city blocks in a necropolis of thousand year old tombs.  ('Cause that's not gonna cause bad stuff to happen - building your homes on old, sacred burial grounds...right?)

Fifthly, (I'm pretty sure that's a word...), There's the "Eight Squared" game where two groups of dwarves compete to rule the entire world in using a form of ritualized warfare that incorporates towers that look suspiciously like chess pieces in a world that just happens to resemble a chessboard.  There are two tiers of players - the "Kings" of either side who order towers built or abandoned and the rest of the Players who try to fulfill these orders from "on high".  (Pretty much, each move in the game involves either sending an expedition into an "empty" square, to build the new tower/piece for the chess move or to order the capture of an opponent's tower by an adventurer and his followers - getting to the highest level and taking a screen shot would probably signify a "capture" - then having an expedition build a new tower of the proper type to end that "move". to order the appropriate tower/piece to be built on a 1x2 embark adjacent to an opponent's tower with the double duty of killing or capturing all the opposing dwarves in the tower that was originally there. (This would be the chess move of "capturing an opponent's piece".)

Sixly, there's my "Minecart Tycoon" game utilizing a series of embarks to create a "Trans-continental mine-track" on a large map of North America turned into a df world map in Perfect World.

Seventhly, there's a game I've been considering off and on, where Players begin as the very first dwarves, with only a knowledge of herbalism and mining.  Every time one gets a mood, the Player can choose for the race of dwarves to gain a new skill, and the workshop that goes along with it.  I've often wondered if artifact blueprints couldn't come out of a "mood", that describe an artifact to be built using the randomized materials needed for the artifact.  Then, dwarves could endeavor to build the useful ones, using the blueprint as an integral component.  However, I don't think it works that way.  Anyway, "Dwarves at the Dawn of Time" sounds like a fun game, and the entire history would be generated from there forward.

So - those are my contributions to this list.  numbers 1-4 are all in the same world and save-file, (The Luckiest Tourist EVER) - which also has a tower full of pyro and aero and necro-mancers who happen to be an in-game guild of geomancers and map-makers.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:27:02 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Getix Kain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 05:10:49 am »

I offer myself for the role of Overseer in a Fortres in any kind of games.

I'd like to see how other players do their Fortress and how messy could really get when more than 1 people toys with it. ;)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 11:31:30 am »

Floating an idea for a succession game - the Fortress of Ages.

The goal of the game would be to create the longest-lived succession fort ever. Nicknames would be used to keep track of dwarven lineages, to give the fortress some flavor. We could also aim to make the fort aesthetically pleasing, but that's a secondary concern. The main idea would be to document the history of the fortress over a long period of time.

Some potential rules:
-Players have the fort for 2-3 weeks. In this time, they can play as much as they like.
-Players must keep track of dwarven lineages through renaming all dwarves of a family that they can see. The name of each lineage will be the name of the first male in the lineage with the suffix of sson. For example, Urist Uristsson.
-Players must also keep track of births, deaths and immigration during their turns so that they can be graphed. Keeping track of the total wealth of the fortress will also be graphed, so post the state of the fort's supplies at the end of your turn.
-The game will be modded to increase fps and fix bugs. Other than that, no modding, with the exception of adding training-related tags to captured animals.
-If the fort falls during your turn, your turn is considered non-cannon. This also applies if the save is corrupted.
-How you describe your turn is up to you. However, major events (sieges, selection of nobles, big architectural projects) should be described.
-Try to keep the fort clean and orderly. Remember to build more than you need; other players might appreciate the extra workshops, rooms, or supplies. Use the note-taking system so later players don't get confused and accidentally flood the fort with magma while trying to open the gates.

What'ya think? Too ambitious?

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 01:43:46 pm »

The lineage game sounds fun.  I'd be willing to give it a go.  Another way to do that would be through each player naming an overseer, then playing for a year limit (5, 10?) or dorf death, whichever comes first.  Bonus rule: If a previous overseer dies of any non-natural cause, the player must end the turn immediately, as a failed overseer.  Those rules just keep the game moving.

Another thought is setting up a feud:  Embark with an even number of dwarves, then separate them into two separate fortresses that are not allowed to interact.  This would make things especially fun in MW mod, where you could "steal" research and items from each other and have resource imbalances play out on the map.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 03:32:02 pm »

I'm surprised no one mentiones the "no military" challenge, obly relying in wits, traps and minecart shotguns.
Another idea I've seen some times is the "no connection with the outside after the first year". Eternal winter I call it.

About the lineage and the family names, I can change their last names with DFhack but it's a total pain in the ass so if someone with DFhack knowledge wants to do some sort of script send me a PM.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 04:47:18 pm »

Dwarven High Command has sent a specially trained group to take over a Elven Retreat, and turn it into a secret fortress disguised as Elven Retreat to lure the pointy eared gits into a death trap.

I don't have a operational CPU which can run DF right now, so feel free to use this. Just PM me a link so I can watch the !!FUN!! Insue.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lineage game
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 04:51:21 pm »

I remember there being a script that ran every season or so that automatically changed the surnames of dwarves to the first names of one or both parents.  (I think it checked to see which parent was to most skilled and used that, so that "famous" dwarf names were more prevalent).

...Here we go: the Dwarven Heritage Project.

Put me down for an overseer's turn if you get this started -I often try to keep as many dwarves alive as possible from fort to fort, hoping to instigate a "Dwarven Age" by being more populous and outlasting all the others.  (Although military actions and the like also help thin out the more aggressive races).

An idea just occurred to me: This game should begin in a world with no history and using "embark everywhere" begin at the site of the Mountain-home.  We could chronicle the history of the Dwarven race to glory.  Every time a named dwarf "dies", they could be redwarfed in a split-off game about a fortress that embarks from the Mountainhome to found a new hamlet or fortress instead.  Their stories would essentially move on a parallel time-line to the Mountainhome, but since nobody can leave fortresses anyway, the split's unknowable.  Of course, any time a fortress is destroyed or abandoned, those dwarves would have to go somewhere, so any named dwarves would hang around "wandering the wilds" to rejoin a new embark.  Once you leave the center of civilization, you can't ever come back, but landed nobility (Barons, counts, ect...) might be able to send representatives to the Mountainhomes to participate in the politics of the Royal Court.  Of course, if one of the outlying parallel fortresses happens to attract the King, They just need to rename him/her to "Prince/Princess" and induct them into the Royal Family.

Or - that could be the bit that's too ambitious...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:20:54 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 05:35:27 pm »

This is DF, no such thing as too ambitious.
The Heritage Project is very nice, too bad it hasn't had any news in half a year. Maybe different types of heritage would be nicer (father's last name, half from each parent, the most skilled parent...).

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 06:06:15 pm »

That script could be useful - if we want players to play as much of the fort as they're capable and willing to play, they shouldn't be wasting time in mass nicknaming. Needs testing though - wouldn't want to muck up our save.

I'd actually recommend a world with a 250+ history - this way, dwarves already have families when the fortress begins, and additional fun things can happen, like necromancy or worldgen'd heroes immigrating to the fort. Besides, in a world with no history we'd need a very high starting civ count or we'd likely wipe out the gobbo's by the 10th turn after all those failed sieges.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 08:43:21 pm »

You could always add in two or three more goblin races, to "stir the pot".  Make one green, one olive and one black - I can see goblins being racist against other goblins with a slightly different skin color as well as anybody else that happens to be alive.  Incidentally, more human and elven races could be fun too.  Same sprites, but not always allied civs.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 10:20:34 pm »

You could always add in two or three more goblin races, to "stir the pot".  Make one green, one olive and one black - I can see goblins being racist against other goblins with a slightly different skin color as well as anybody else that happens to be alive.  Incidentally, more human and elven races could be fun too.  Same sprites, but not always allied civs.

This could be done. I'd like to keep things vanilla, so modding in unfriendly elves/humans probably won't happen. That's not to say we can't declare war on them, though, because fixing diplomats is something that should have been in the vanilla in the first place.
Been writing a mod specifically for succession forts for a while, but it's not ready yet.
EDIT: You can just change the starting number of goblins. This lets us still exterminate the lot to start the age of dwarves, and more gobbo's right off the bat!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:03:15 pm by MDFification »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 11:24:24 pm »

Hello, 4maskwolf here for the fortress Necrochambers.

Tired of that same old succession fort?  Longing for something more in dwarf fortress?  Well, look no farther than the recently returned fortress of Necrochambers!

Unlike traditional succession games, Necrochambers has NO YEAR LIMIT!  You heard correctly: NO YEAR LIMIT!  This means that you can, and should, play until the fortress dies an untimely death by undead or elves or whatever else you manage to kill yourself with.

When the fortress falls, just follow these three simple steps:

1. Zip the save file after the fort fell.
2. Upload the save file to DFFD
3. Watch as the fortress rises again!

That's all there is to it!  So if you are tired of playing the same old fort, come join necrochambers: we're always hiring!

Regularupdatesduringthedurationofyourturnarestronglyreccommended.Necrochambersisnotresponsibleforanyfrustrationorearlyfortdeathcausedbyghostsoftheformerinhabitants.Thisgamerequiresaccesstothemasterworkmod.

Necrochambers: call or click today!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7