Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 104832 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 10:43:35 pm »

Thanks mate!

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 10:49:34 pm »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 11:47:35 pm »

Is that the one where
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dunno, never got past chapter 8.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 02:09:35 am »

I personally thought Time Braid was pretty good. The basic premise is "What if the protagonists from Naruto were trapped in the time loop from Groundhog day?" Definitely seconding that one.
Gotta lend my support for this one as well. There's a bare handful of high-quality Naruto fics out there, and this is one of the very best of them. Takes a much more interesting look at the timeloop fic from the perspective of one of the least-used protagonist POVs in the series. It handles a lot of the underlying issues of that sort of time-looping head-on, too, when the people involved all have mental issues of one sort or another.

I'll try not to repeat, but here goes:

NGE: Nobody Dies: 600k words of some of the most entertaining crack you will ever consume. The author is one responsible for Glorious Shotgun Princess and has also put out a lot of smaller NGE fics.

Anything and everything written by Kenichi618. He's an astonishingly prolific high-quality Naruto fic writer with (I shit you not) more than five million words across eleven stories, and he typically updates at least once or twice a month. On top of all that, he's a MMA fighter in meatspace, so his fight scenes are technically detailed and perhaps the most realistic I've ever seen in fan-works (and in many published ones).

The Tale of the Gallant Familiar. It's a Naruto/ZnT crossover which starts in the predictable fashion for all ZnT crossovers, but with Jiraya as the summons, right after he had his arm cut off and was thrown into the sea. Only one 10k word chapter up so far, but it looks like the quality is pretty decent.

Uchibi Sasuke: Pure crack. Academy student-aged Sasuke and Naruto end up as friends taking care of all of the Uchiha children after the massacre (the nail being that Itachi asked permission to spare the children of his clan). Not at all serious, but it's bloody hilarious at times.

Thinking in Little Green Boxes: Harry Potter as raised by Deadpool. Nothing more needs to be said.

CoTIW: Unfortunate Meetings: A mishap with the Warp sends a pair of ships, one belonging to da Orkz, the other full of Kriegsmen, into the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha 'verse. They crash onto Midchilda and promptly start killing da humies/the heretics. Very well written, but doesn't update very often. Knowledge of both sides helps, but it isn't terribly necessary (beyond knowing that in the MGLN-verse killing magic and non-magical weapons are rare and heavily restricted).

The Empty Cage. Narutoverse, only... the sealing of the Kyuubi went wrong because this verse's Death God's seal is slightly different, and the end result is a dead Fourth and the Kyuubi possessing the corpse of his son. It follows him up through his "childhood" as the fox does its best to mimic humanity. The depiction of the nine-tails is pretty good, walking the line between "always chaotic evil" and that "aww (s)he was just misunderstood" tripe that so many people shovel. Pretty damned good all in all.

Puella Stellae Madoka Magica: It's what would happen if the Madoka world was a lost world stuck in a Warp storm, Kyubey was a daemon, and Empie's spirit managed to make his way there in pursuit of a certain unborn goddess. Things escalate from there. One of the best crossovers for both 40K and PMMM I've ever read. God-tier.

The Marker: Short, hasn't updated for a while. Liara T'soni signs up as part of a research crew investigating a certain ship by the name of USG Ishimura...

The Log: The Log is good. The Log protects. The Log is what crackfic aspires to be.

People Lie: Perhaps the best AU Naruto fic there is. Required reading. Traces of Lovecraftian influence, though it's probably wrong to keep calling them "traces" after the shoggoth showed up.

Ask Me No Questions: The author's spin-off of the above, switching several of his characters with their canon counterparts.

Cast in Gold: NGE/Exalted crossover.

The Denarian Renegade: First of four stories, a mixing of HP and the Dresden Files worlds, focusing on Harry. A bit too heavy on the power-fantasy for my taste, but you might like it.

A Black Comedy: Basic summary: Harry beats Voldie. Two years later, goes through the veil and ends up in an alternate world, meets up with the Sirius from his world who apparently ended up in the same place. Humor ensues.

The Melody of the Fox: A departure from the rest of the list. It's pretty well written, and the romantic pairing is quite unusual. Worth a look, even if you don't normally go for romances.

The Best Revenge: Oh, this is a really good one. Snape visits the Dursleys early in Harry's life and ends up removing him, essentially treating him as an adopted son. So it's like goodness knows how many other stories in the  premise, but this time with a competent writer at the helm. Has a sequel.

XCOM: Second Contact: It's XCOM: EU humanity in the Mass Effect universe. Pretty good story, and since it's only EU (rather than original X-Com) it isn't a complete curbstomp.  :P

Herwald von Einzbern and the Philosopher's Stone: Harry Potter raised by a very special German house of mages, blended HP and Fate/Stay Night worlds. The author is nearing the end of the Chamber of Secrets on his re-write, and there are (le gasp) actual changes rather than a parade through the Stations of the Canon.

Bungle in the Jungle: A Harry Potter fic that comes rather out of left-field. Written entirely in second person (and done so in a way that's both mechanically competent and interesting to read, to boot!). Harry's powerful, but the author has scaled up everything else to match. Adventures in South America with only a handful of canon characters, a complete break from England both in- and out-of-story. Has a sequel.

Basemates: A touching, humorous little ~12k word two-chapter bit piece. Hinata and Neji end up accidentally locking themselves in a basement during a stormy night. Touching in the "emotionally invested" sense, not in the creepy "it's-okay-'cause-we're-cousins-incest" way, by the by.  :P

It's For a Good Cause I Swear: Team 7 timetravel with with a unique angle, and fairly well-written as well.

Naruto: Demon's Path: Starts at age 6. Honestly, the writing starts off pretty bad, and takes a decent length of time to improve. On the bright side, even at the start you can tolerate it well enough to pick up the plot (mostly because it's just juvenile and simplistic rather than full of errors). That, and it has 700,000 words to get better in, and it's good enough to recommend by around halfway through.

First Contact: An Asari exploration ship opens the Sol system in the near-future 21st century. Pretty well written, but slow to update. No crossover.

Magecraft and Wizardry: Unlke literally every other HP/MGLN crossover, this one isn't "Nanoha and Fate attend Hogwarts". Rather, they essentially stole Harry away from the Dursleys when he was being abused in public (IIRC), and it's more about the family dynamic and later the politicking between the English wizards and the Bureau.

I'm also going to toss up a handful of superb fics that don't fall under your requests:

He Who Fights Monsters: An absolutely brutal For Want of a Nail fic in the Rosario + Vampire world. Read if you want a story about an ordinary human struggling to survive in a place full of literal monsters that would literally eat him if they knew he was human, full of intense fights that run on pure luck and adrenaline, meaningful character development, quite a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor, and an absolutely brilliant ending. I can't recommend this enough. In fact, I think I'm about due for another reread...

A Green Sun Illuminates the Void: Yet another Zero no Tsukaima fic replacing the summoned Japanese brat with something else. Only this time it's a really damned good author, and the summoning ends up with Louise Exalting. Takes very little time to leave canon territory for new and monstrous places. The author has put out a lot more good work, including some spinoff stories of NGE: Nobody Dies.

Dauntless: A fantastic Code Geass For Want of a Nail fic that also quickly leaves canon territory and never looks back. 96 chapters and 660k words of politics, plotting, battles, family politics, more plotting. Notable in that it has an OC in a central cast postion (out of necessity) who fits the setting and feel of both the story and CG canon absolutely perfectly. The author, well, she's probably one of the best writers I've ever had the fortune to find, not just in fanfiction but in published work as well.

Well. There's my dump for the night. Enjoy!  :D

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 02:27:43 am »

Flying Dice... Can... Can I hug you? I really want to hug you right now you beautiful man/woman/thing you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 02:54:26 am »

Glad to be of service. I knew that repository of links would come in handy someday.  :)

3. Run Resize Enable

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 04:45:54 am »

Gods-be-damned, Flying Dice, where have you been all my life?

I've been dying for a lengthy, quality fic (I've somehow gotten used to 300k+), and I was going to pick through the other recommendations to see if there was anything that good, and then you just unload a treasure-trove of fic, which will almost certainly be enjoyable considering they're listed among the likes of Nobody Dies, Cast in Gold, He Who Fights Monsters, A Green Sun Illuminates the Void and Dauntless (those last two are God-tier fanfictions, in my opinion).

If we're just going to dump general fanfiction recommendations, I'm going to have to compile a list...
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 04:48:46 am »

I think I'm gonna have to link this in my sig so I don't forget.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:05:17 am by Gamerlord »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 05:37:58 am »

I could also put together a list of stuff that falls into the "readable-but-iffy" category, because I've got absolute mountains of that. Incidentally that's where a lot of the Halo/Mass Effect crossovers fall, and also this one Halo/40K one that hasn't updated in ages. But seriously, if you're going to read anything among those that you don't already know, go for Kenchi's stuff. There's a veritable mountain of writing there. Just keep in mind that the One Piece crossover was his first fic, and the early chapters of that are notably rougher than everything else. Other than that, gods... He's pretty much singlehandedly responsible for making me interested in something like seven or eight different series, just because of how damned good his stories are.

The really remarkable part is that despite him writing every single story as "Non-retarded Naruto in X universe/For-Want-of-A-Nail AU", every single one of them has a distinct feel to it, and he doesn't ever really repeat himself as far as the path of power development. Oh, and something that should be repeated: the fights are marvelously choreographed and described. The guy has absolutely ruined me because I'm now holding everything I read that contains hand-to-hand combat to the standard he set.

3. Run Resize Enable

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 05:47:29 am »

I could also put together a list of stuff that falls into the "readable-but-iffy" category, because I've got absolute mountains of that. Incidentally that's where a lot of the Halo/Mass Effect crossovers fall, and also this one Halo/40K one that hasn't updated in ages.
If you know any Halo/40K ones that are still being updated I'll be eternally thankful! Also, if you want a decent Mass Effect/Halo crossover try The Last Spartan. I haven't finished it but it's actually REALLY good about the integration of the Covenant/UNSC with the Council. Plus it has my favourite Elite of all time. N'tho, you are just so awesome.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 08:33:37 am »

XCOM: Second Contact is actually dead now. The author dropped it due to running out of steam for the story.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 10:50:34 am »

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality: Petunia marries an Oxford biochemist and the young genius Harry Potter grows up steeped in the scientific tradition, which he carries with him to Hogwarts. Gets quite a bit darker than the original series, annoying characters are thankfully absent, and it's still ongoing (but only just).

Been reading this for a bit. Got to chapter 27. I really don't know why I still am. Frankly, this is pretty terrible. The simple fact is that it is so unrealistic, and everything just feels WRONG. It's a interesting concept, but the whole supergenius thing is really annoying. It feels like looking at your best friend turned into a zombie. Just completely wrong.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 11:23:46 am »

Yeah, MoR is pretty much love it or hate it. The author outright says that if you're not enjoying yourself by chapter 10 you should probably stop reading.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 03:24:18 pm »

XCOM: Second Contact is actually dead now. The author dropped it due to running out of steam for the story.
That's a shame. What is up is still worth a read, though.

Oh, and a gem I forgot:

Reload: Utter, utter crack. A Naruto time-loop fic in which he and Sasuke, at the beginning of the story, have been stuck in the loops for a tremendous amount of time, long enough for them to have gotten over their little problem with each other and become close friends. Their personalities are twisted, yet still recognizable. I need to say it again: complete crack, and some of the best-written crack there is. As an added bonus, Sasuke is the one who abuses genderbending techniques to mess with people. It's got a style all its own.

Also, you get to see a three-way battle between Naruto, Tsunade, and Kisame. I won't spoil anything about that part of the story, but it's one of the funniest parts of a story that's already loaded with interesting humor. Hell, even the categorization as humor/romance is a bit of a troll, because it manages to treat the crack quite seriously in-story. Very tongue-in-cheek, a lot of it.

The best short description I could give is that (personality/actions-taken-wise) Naruto and Sasuke are basically Chaotic Neutral DnD3.5 Wizard/Rogues in the bodies of ninja.

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 08:34:16 pm »

Y'know... if we're broadening the series base a little, I'd be somewhat required to mention these three monstrosities. In order, they're the first million+ word fanfic I actually managed to finish -- a disturbingly good, disturbingly long (clocking in at 2.6m), Teen Titans fic largely centered around an OC -- the second million+ word fanfic I actually managed to finish, which also shares the distinction of being arguably one of the best self-inserts I've read -- a Ranma 1/2-centered multicrossover that basically goes to hell in rapid order -- and a million+ word fic that is entirely too well written for its premise. More explicitly, the last is a crossover of two crossover fanfics, being essentially summable as "(Ranma/Teen Titans)/(Ranma/X-COM)". Knowledge of its "parent" fics is helpful, but not required per se.

Throwing in some author recs, there's this dude, who actually does have a Naruto fic. Arguably better know for his ranma stuff, though, especially back when he was going by Carrot Glace (or... something along those lines). Then this one who has a fondness for a particular sort of crossover (/multicrossover) style that may be to taste. Then this'un who has unfortunately not published anything since like '11, but... whatever. Has some HP fics! Of a particular canon destroying sort. Probably best known (at least when I was getting into fanfiction) as the critter that wrote Biker 1/2. Also arguably the guy that got me initially hooked on metal, years ago. And this one! Known well for more-or-less crack fics. Mostly Ranma stuff, though.

Is enough for the moment, I think. Perhaps I've still got that rundown I did several years ago of the Naruto 100k+ list of the time laying around...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21