Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 105046 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #270 on: December 02, 2015, 07:33:36 pm »

So, I've read quite a few of the fanfiction recommendations, and the most notable thing for most of them is that despite getting quite far, the vast majority of them ended up dropped by their authors (out of the ones I have read, only Time Braid and Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality were properly finished).

I assume that at least some of the fics already posted were properly finished, I just have no clue which ones. So, does anybody have some good ones that were actually finished?

E: I've also read Worm and Twig, so that isn't necessary to add.
For Worm, at least, there's Cenotaph and its sequel. They were mentioned previously in thread, but you hadn't mentioned them as ones you read.
Note that notes is already 9 chapters into the third part, Legacy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 02, 2015, 07:35:51 pm »

As its unfinished I left that out.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 02, 2015, 07:37:57 pm »

Yeah, just wanted to make sure he knew it existed so that he could go ahead and continue on/track it until it was complete.

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 02, 2015, 09:26:43 pm »

... well, I've probably read several dozen, but asking me to remember them all is an entirely different proposition :V Still I'll mention/re-mention a few, while I'm here and vaguely conscious.

Off-the-top-of-head completed stuff: Acceleration (Railgun/Worm) was thoroughly engaging. Brutal pacing, all sorts of shit going down, just something of a train wreck in motion.

Hope Through Overwhelming Firepower (Diebuster/worm) is another complete, fairly fun, one, in the worm sphere of things. Pretty sure both of these have been mentioned up-thread.

I actually finished Hybrid Theory, which was entirely too good given its premise (Massive multicrossover, Male self-insert into female canon character, buncha' other stuff -- the setup and setting is basically just a glorious mess) and faintly gargantuan length, and These Black Eyes (though it had a sequel) -- the latter was rather episodic in nature, but had some pretty amazing "episodes". Actually having finished both is something of a thing in itself, considering the first is ~1.3 million words long, and the second twice that, but they're both definitely complete.

Mentioned this a bit upthread -- fire emblem more-or-less character piece. Quite fuzzy, pretty damn good read.

You can cheerfully check out nonjon as someone with several completed works to their name. Mostly does/did harry potter stuff, lots of it pretty wildly out of character, but much of it is pleasingly amusing nonetheless.

This is complete, and from what I recall it was pretty amusing -- Something Wicked This Way Comes, a Disgaea/Harry Potter crossover. Can't recall if it deserves content warnings, though -- near as I can tell, I finished reading it back in at most 2013. M rating, though, so fair warning gods know what's actually in there.

Hill of Swords has been mentioned upthread, probably several times :V

This is done -- Mass Effect/Eva crossover, pretty solid character piece. Pretty sure it's NSFW in places, though.

A Green Sun Illuminates the Void finished, sorta'.

Probably mentioned Thousand Shinji somewhere up there, it's done and pretty fun. WH40k/Eva Xover, with shinji starting off more or less as a Thousand Sons trained psyker.

This bugger has something like a half dozen completed sizable Megaman fics, mostly set in the X timeline, iirc. It's been a long damn time since I've read them (like, literally over a decade for some), but from what I recall they were mostly pretty damn ace.

This was pretty damn good, though I can't comment on its sequel. Harry Potter/Metroid crossover, and a fairly solid romp despite the odd premise.

... Naruto Genkyouien is finished, and the writing is by and large pretty decent. Haven't gotten around to actually finishing reading the thing, so I can't comment on a fair amount of the latter half or so >_>

This finished, apparently. Rough in places, but the premise was pretty damn interesting and despite some same-y writing from the author, it was one of those I lumped in as "surprisingly good", so... sure.

and now the headache as drained my will to continue ransacking 17 years of fanfiction memories for completed stuff that was decent enough, so i'm done now, do enjoy. though that said, there's definitely a lot more -- i'm quite sure there's at least six or seven solid complete ranma ones i didn't mention, just as an example. complete fics are definitely less common, but "less common" when it comes to the massive weight of fanfiction still means "at least hundreds", and that's just sticking to the larger ones.

also fanfiction.net has filters, and one of those filters is for "complete"

and for non-complete stuff this made me remember and I don't think has been mentioned, have an example.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:31:05 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 02, 2015, 10:25:07 pm »

Naruto Genkyouien is finished, and the writing is by and large pretty decent. Haven't gotten around to actually finishing reading the thing, so I can't comment on a fair amount of the latter half or so >_>
Is it really worth reading? I've seen it recced elsewhere and tried reading it a time or three, but every attempt just ends with me giving up in disgust, since the thing seems to hit something like half the [WARNING WARNING ABORT ABORT] buttons I've built up.

On an unrelated note:
Here is an alternative to Hill of Swords if you want a less shonen-y take on the concept. It's a different Shirou, as well.

On a related note:
On Missing Limbs. It's a complete (except for the epilogue) fusion of Worm and MGSV; the blending is done very nicely. Not very long, but it doesn't really need to be.

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 02, 2015, 11:39:47 pm »

Eh, it amused me well enough up to the point I read (I still haven't gotten around to actually finishing it, though, heh), but from what I recall I probably don't have half your abort buttons anymore :V

If nothing else there's some damn good lines in it. Even if the whole's not to taste, bits of it are pretty amazing.
Ask not!
Ask!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 03, 2015, 02:12:53 am »

Thanks for the suggestions, going to try some of them out now.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 10, 2016, 09:49:00 pm »

Bit of a boot to wake it up, and mostly just some SB recs (which is to say, easy to find), but I've been enjoying this, lately. Oregairu/Danmachi crossover, quite fun, updating fairly consistently.

This's also been fairly fun -- Worm/Castlevania crossover, where taylor gets saddled with dracula's... well, pretty much everything.

Also pretty great -- One Piece SI that actually manages to be fairly enjoyable.

Anywaaay. Arise, thread, etc., etc.
Ask not!
Ask!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 10, 2016, 10:01:53 pm »

I suppose I shall PTW this thread too.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 10, 2016, 10:12:34 pm »

I will give a sterling recommendation of the ambiguously serious Seventh Horcrux, a fic about Voldemort's less than sterling second life as Harry, in which he attempts to give the whole Defense Teacher thing another try.
Exerpts:
“What could possibly be more important than attending to me?” I snapped. “That idiot Crabbe doesn’t even have a job. I could kill him for this insult.”

Severus smirked. “Actually, you did kill him. Several months ago.”

How forward-thinking of me. I settled onto my new throne, made with a pile of Malfoy portraits. To my delight, they wailed every time I sat down. “What about Wilkes?”

Only thirteen years old and Hermione Granger was already planning her first genocide. While I admired her precocious cruelty – I hadn’t even dreamed of such things until I was at least sixteen – I just had to ask…

“Hermione, why do you hate house elves so much?”

She poked her head out from under the couch where she had been hiding a malformed mitten. “I’m sorry?”

“I’m not judging,” I hastily assured her, “just curious.”

“Harry, I don’t hate house elves,” she declared. There was no particular reason for her to lie; it was nearly midnight, and the common room was empty of eavesdroppers.

“Well, I’m not sure why else you’d be doing that,” I said, gesturing towards the hat she’d stuffed under a table leg.

Hermione stood up proudly and proclaimed, “I’m trying to free them!”

I blinked, attempting to make sense of her logic. “…You do realize that house elves die when you free them, right?”

Impressive actress that she was, Hermione flipped from cheerful to threatening tears in an instant. “W-what?”

“I mean, I sort of thought you knew,” I said. “Free elves just lie down and die. They don’t eat or sleep...”

I’d seen it happen once, and – let me tell you – it was hilarious.

"Like that would stop him. He would follow us into the girls' loo just to brag about it. I mean, honestly, this is Malfoy we're talking about here. There are two things he mentions in every conversation: his father and his money. If he were the Heir of Slytherin, there would be three things he'd mention in every conversation."

Hermione pouted. "So, that means we don't need to brew an illegal potion with stolen ingredients, knock out three of our classmates, tie them up in a closet, sneak into the Slytherin Common Room, and interrogate Malfoy?"

I gaped at her. "Was that your plan?" I fear that Hermione may be the most evil of us all. That is concerning since I am a retired Dark Lord.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 10, 2016, 10:26:30 pm »

Ah, that's a gud'un.

This's also been fairly fun -- Worm/Castlevania crossover, where taylor gets saddled with dracula's... well, pretty much everything.
Quite. I may also be feeling obliged to rec anything decent which even jokingly references Tamy because that is the best ship.
Also pretty great -- One Piece SI that actually manages to be fairly enjoyable.
I was following this for a while, but stopped once the rewrite of the last arc began. Should get back to it. Definitely quality. :x

Here follow more recs. I think they're all new, but no promises.

Applied Cultural Anthropology, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Cruciatus: Hermione in Slytherin. Positively delightful, and from a very good author.

The Next Dimension Over: Naruto/Dragonball. Sakura from the near-end of the Kaguya fight ends up in Dragonball when Goku and Krillin are searching for a woman so that Roshi will teach them. Not particularly exceptional, but it's a fun popcorn fic so far.

How I Learned to Stop Hating and Love the Bomb That is Nero: Worm AU. Emma had an older sister who is the literal reincarnation of the Roman emperor Nerō Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus and the spitting image of Saber Extra. Excessively Roman and excessively cracky. Read it. Now. Ignore the sub-par title and fucking read it.

This Bites!: AKA the other living and not-shit One Piece SI. Took a fairly different approach to the concept. Definitely got the feeling of the setting spot-on, and the writing's solid all around to boot.

...Who Needs Enemies?: Worm. The other side of the "Taylor's power is literally the Endbringers" coin that With Friends Like These started. Darker, more serious, and in my opinion much better. Highly literal alien intelligences are fun. [T: Nod your head.]

3. Run Resize Enable

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 15, 2016, 12:56:13 am »

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 11:48:13 am by Wolfhunter107 »
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 31, 2016, 02:38:37 pm »

How I Learned to Stop Hating and Love the Bomb That is Nero: Worm AU. Emma had an older sister who is the literal reincarnation of the Roman emperor Nerō Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus and the spitting image of Saber Extra. Excessively Roman and excessively cracky. Read it. Now. Ignore the sub-par title and fucking read it.

This was amusingly bizarre.

Wail of the Banshee is quite good as Worm/Warframe. Still ongoing but there's quite a lot of it.

Hunter is Worm/Bloodborne and things are going as you might expect in Brockton Bay.

Living an Indoctrinated Dream is a Illusive Man being sent back in time(?) after the Crucible, and working to defeat the Reapers a different way to his canon path.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 31, 2016, 02:56:05 pm »

Hunter is Worm/Bloodborne and things are going as you might expect in Brockton Bay.
Seconding this, it's the only good Bloodborne cross I've seen.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21