Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 104982 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 08:44:25 pm »

DAMMIT YOU GUYS MADE ME READ HARRY POTTER and the natural 20 until 4 am ;__;

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 03:36:57 am »

DAMMIT YOU GUYS MADE ME READ HARRY POTTER and the natural 20 until 4 am ;__;

You should read Prince of the Dark Kingdom next.
You'll read it until 4 am three days from now, pass out, then continue on.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 01:39:14 pm »

If we're going on a more general dump, I'll put up some more stuff.

Twisted Reflections: Dark Souls/Zero no Tsukaima
Overlady: Overlord/Zero no Tsukaima. This one is funny, and it's written by EarthScorpion, the same guy that did A Green Sun Illuminates the Void.
Stalker Zero: STALKER/Zero no Tsukaima, with the twist that it's ZnT characters being reverse-summoned into the Zone.
Be careful what you wish for: Touhou/Zero no Tsukaima. This is sick, and amazingly so. Traditional start of a ZnT fic with the summoning, but thanks in part to a prank played by a certain gap youkai, the person Louise ends up summoning is Yuuka Kazami. It defies initial expectations primarily because Yuuka doesn't just go on a rampage killing all the humans.

Big Human on Campus: Ranma 1/2 / Rosario + Vampire. Where He Who Fights Monsters is brutal and witty, this is just plain hilarious. The big running joke is that nobody believes Ranma when he insists that he's really human.

Sleeping with the Girls, Vol. I: Fictional Reality: If you're at all like me, you are probably instantly repulsed by the premise. A self-insert finds himself teleported into the bed of various fictional female characters every time he falls asleep. Disgusting self-indulgence, right? That's what I thought, too, until I finally gave it a chance. And holy shit. The author plays the self-insert and the premise completely straight, turning it into a long, painful adventure that repeatedly toys with fanfiction tropes. What would it be like if, every time you fell asleep, you woke up in a strange place surrounded by angry people? Not just a strange place, but a different universe altogether? Bizarre but quite good. I had to add some excess explanation here because, of all the fics I've read, this is the one that sounds the strangest and least interesting before being read.

There is, of course, "An Entry With a Bang", a Spacebattles round-robin style crossover that transposes the Clancyverse Earth into the outer Periphery of the Battletech universe about ten years before the Clans invade. Quality differs between chapters/sections for obvious reasons, but much of it is quite good. I don't have a link to the .pdf download, though. It's somewhere nearing 900 pages at the moment, IIRC.

Opening the Closet Door a Crack: This one is quite good. The Teen Titans are, functionally speaking, the party in a real-world Call of Cthulhu campaign. Madness abounds.

Game Theory: One of the best non-crossover Nanoha fics I've found. It explores an AU in which Precia Testarossa is slightly more sane and loving towards Fate. Things spiral out of control.

The Familiars of Zero: The logical conclusion of Zero no Tsukaima crossover fics. 52 one-shots totaling 286k words about the different characters/creatures that could potentially be summoned. Ranges from "good concept for a fic" to "delightfully cracky".

Any Firefly fics written by Dyce or Thescarredman.

And finally, saving the best for last *drumroll*:

Dungeon Keeper Ami: Ami (Sailor Mercury) is trapped in a dimensional pocket after one of the early Sailor Moon fights. When she escapes, she finds herself trapped in a sealed, inactive dungeon in the Dungeon Keeper universe (of the series of games by the same name), her only company being a very angry Horned Reaper. Things escalate from there, with Ami taking control of the dormant dungeon heart and becoming a Keeper. This is hands down one of the most interesting and believable fics I've ever read. This is the fic that got me interested in Sailor Moon. Well, not entirely. Lovehammer 40K had a share of that responsibility. This has been running since late 2009 with updates virtually every month. Highly recommended.

When reading remember that the chapters are ordered with the oldest top, and any written by someone other than Pusakuronu are AU spinoffs. It's easier to keep the index open and open individual chapters in new tabs, due to the way Anime Addventure is set up.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 08:26:59 pm »

If we're taking requests, you got any good pokemon fics(non-crossover)?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2014, 08:32:53 pm »

DO I!?

Actually, outside that one in the list I linked to a few posts back (and here, have a link), not off the top of my head. That said, there are several -- honestly, I'm pretty sure I've hit at least a dozen good ones in the 60k+ word range -- good to excellent ones out there. FF.N's length filter is a blessing. >60k or >100k ones are... usually it's pretty easy to tell just by the summary whether they're going to be readable.

Hell, give me a few and I can trawl through the filtered list for a bit, see what I remember catching my eye. I've read through a good chunk of 'em, over the years.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2014, 08:35:04 pm »

You are great Frumple. Just great.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 08:41:51 pm »

I should clarify no first-person fics. For some odd reason, I CANNOT STAND first person fics, even if they're the best fic on the planet I'd just close it immediately :/
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 08:49:16 pm »

I should clarify no first-person fics. For some odd reason, I CANNOT STAND first person fics, even if they're the best fic on the planet I'd just close it immediately :/
Yeah, they can be kinda annoying. I have no problem with fics that use 1st P to begin the story and then switch, but ones that keep it throughout are usually insufferable self-insert fan-wankery.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 08:50:11 pm »

... well damn. Actually, the first one I found that I solidly remembered was this one, which is notable both for being first person and, if my memory's actually working and it's the one I'm thinking it is, mentioning the main character's gender something like twice in the first three hundred thousand words of the work. I'm pretty sure it's the one that I thought the MC was the wrong gender until something like 150-200k words into the fic.

Also it was pretty good! I think. It's been a few years since I've read much non-cross pokemon stuff, which is why the memory's so fuzzy and nothing's on the top of my head.
Ask not!
Ask!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2014, 08:50:11 pm »

C&C: Tiberium wars has a fanfic that is, IIRC, rather imaginatively, called tiberium wars.

I THINK this is the one: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3654039/1/Tiberium-Wars

Peptuck writes some great stuff.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 08:52:51 pm »

... well damn. Actually, the first one I found that I solidly remembered was this one, which is notable both for being first person and, if my memory's actually working and it's the one I'm thinking it is, mentioning the main character's gender something like twice in the first three hundred thousand words of the work. I'm pretty sure it's the one that I thought the MC was the wrong gender until something like 150-200k words into the fic.

Also it was pretty good! I think. It's been a few years since I've read much non-cross pokemon stuff, which is why the memory's so fuzzy and nothing's on the top of my head.
Might take a look, but I'm not really big on Pokemon. Played the games, but never watched the anime unfortunately.

In other news I'm investigating more fanfics of this 'Familiar of Zero' thing... It is intriguing and I may need to view the original work.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2014, 08:55:10 pm »

Oh gods. ZnT stuff? That, that I can dig up a list in fairly short order. I've read all but like two of the decent crossover ones on FF.N, ha. Along with a few of the non-cross, too. I've mentioned Hill of Swords (in the book challenge thing), before, and FD mentioned Overlady, which is, like, good places to start.

Familiar of Zero manages to get some excellent work done for it, heh. Definitely scrum through the 100k+ stuff. Also, the original material was a series of short novels instead of anime/manga, which might be something to take note of. I think they've been (at least mostly) fantranz'd at some point.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:57:30 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2014, 08:56:11 pm »

I looked at Warhammer crossovers and... The WAAAGH! of Zero is kinda hilarious at this point.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2014, 09:00:21 pm »

Ah, warhammer ones? Try this one. It was fun, iirc.

E: Okay, finally, good gods. I have gone through the pokemon 100k+ to see what hit the memory register. Pedestal has already been linked! First person or not, it is bloody excellent.

The Sun Soul and Clouded Sky I recommend without hesitation, regret, or caveat. They are both excellent, and I actually remember them to a certain degree as just that. Read! If nothing else that comes after, those two are good.

Now for the stuff I'm going to list out strictly and entirely because they pinged my memory. The caveats here is I have no idea why they pinged my memory, and therefor are being recommended only if treated with noted suspicion. I don't remember what's in them. I don't remember their quality, or their contents, or whether they devolve into a pokemon orgy by chapter two (actually, I'm pretty sure I remember the ones I've read that ended up like that, so unless they're false positives none of these do that.). All I know is they looked familiar for reasons unknown. So approach with caution! Notable caution, as occasionally pokemon fics, get, uh. Yeah. And as such, list:

Red Tide. First person!
Spirited.
The Language of Life.
Regret. First person!
The Longest Journey.
Pokemon 0.
Tales of Flame.
Venatus.
Symbiosis.

You're also getting this as a recommendation, despite being a crossover. It is entirely too well written for a Touhoumon fanfic.

============AND HERE, HAVE SOME FAMILIAR OF ZERO RECOMMENDATIONS============

Anything Flying Dice has already mentioned is excellent and probably should be read.

Emperor of Zero. Louise summons goddamn Napoleon.

An American Geek in Halkeginia. Another one of those "Why is this so well done!?" things. Leans towards sorta-maybe-squick considering there's attraction from the familiar towards Louise, despite a notable age difference and the familiar not wanting it to happen, but, it's, like. Just. It's better than it has any right to be. Hasn't been updated in a while, though.

Those are the two I immediately noticed from the non-cross stuff. NOW FOR CROSSOVERS. Some of these will have been mentioned in the book list thing. Now with links!

The Hill of Swords. Fate/stay night. It is the freaking Hill of Swords. It is excellent. It should be read. You should read it. I don't care who "you" is directed to. Read.

Shadow of Zero. D&D. Zero summons a DnD Self-Insert character! It's better than the premise would suggest.

Scion of Zero. Scion. I don't know what scion is. I DON'T REMEMBER ANYTHING IN TERMS OF DETAILS. I think this was good, though.

The Third Magic. Fate/stay again. Louise nets Illya. Whee!

Zero Interface. Ranma. L nets Ranma. Decent. Don't remember why.

Points of Familiarity. Evangelion. L nets post third-impact Shinji. This is written by the shinji and wh40k dude! It's good. There's a sequel/rewrite/thing also by the same author, with the same premise, but arguably better.

Dragon Summoning. Original Series type... thing. I think. Something like that. Louise summons something with pretty serious consequences and, well. Stuff happens. It was good.

Team Zero. Pokemon. L nets Jessie, James, and co. It's, uh. Better than it probably should be.

Void Bladeworks. Fate/stay again. L nets a female Archer. It's... probably better than it should be. Again. Was readable, anyway.

The Prince of Swords. F/S, again, again. This is basically a spin off of Hill of Swords, written by someone else. Incomplete, but excellent.

The Darkest Void. Negima. Memory failure, but I've read it once and had it slated to read again. It was good for some reason I've forgotten.

Echoes of the Void. Kara no Kyokai, which I have no idea what is. It's incomplete but good. Don't ask why, don't remember specifics.

Halkegenia Online. Sword Arts Online. This was on the list. It has a sequel. It is entirely too bloody good for it's premise, and I would heartily recommend.

An Acolyte of Zero. Warcraft. Wanky, but kinda' fun, iirc.

Summoning the Sun. Okami. It was on the list. Feels. It's pretty great.

Zero's Bullet. Hellsing. I haven't actually finished this one, only got a few chapters in, but it was pretty well done up to that point. L nets Rip Van Winkle. The werewolf (i.e. souped up vampire) sniper.

Fae is Foul. SAO again. A different take than Halkegenia Online. Pretty good!

Unforeseen Consequences. Not sure if FD got this one. Puella Magi Madoka Magica Xover. I didn't get too far into it, but what I did get through was pretty delightful.

And that's pretty much all of the ZnT stuff >60k that I recall reading and hasn't been already mentioned. Probably some that have, too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:25:49 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2014, 04:20:04 am »

*manic grin*