Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 103431 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Fanfic Recomendations
« on: January 08, 2014, 08:30:10 pm »

Looking for decent fanfic for these:
Mass Effect
Halo
Dragon Age (preferably Origins)
Naruto
Harry Potter
Warhammer 40k
Aliens
Predator

Anyone got any recomendations?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 08:43:38 pm »

I've got two for Mass Effect:

Renegade Reinterpretations is exactly what it sounds like: An AU of the Mass Effect trilogy (it goes off the rails for ME3 because it hadn't been released at the time of publication) in which Humanity consists almost entirely of Renegades. Paragons aren't exactly extinct, but they're utterly marginalized and hated by mainstream Human culture. The deeper nuances of Renegade philosophy are explored as an alternate alignment division. It starts about a century before ME1, in which Relay 314 is opened and Humanity makes First Contact...with the Batarians. (Warning: reading this will make you Hate The Xeno).

Mass Effect 2: Lanius is by the same author, and is a rewrite of ME2. I think it is superior to the actual ME2's story in some ways. It also rewrites small areas of ME3.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 08:45:53 pm »

I've got two for Mass Effect:

Renegade Reinterpretations is exactly what it sounds like: An AU of the Mass Effect trilogy (it goes off the rails for ME3 because it hadn't been released at the time of publication) in which Humanity consists almost entirely of Renegades. Paragons aren't exactly extinct, but they're utterly marginalized and hated by mainstream Human culture. The deeper nuances of Renegade philosophy are explored as an alternate alignment division. It starts about a century before ME1, in which Relay 314 is opened and Humanity makes First Contact...with the Batarians. (Warning: reading this will make you Hate The Xeno).

Mass Effect 2: Lanius is by the same author, and is a rewrite of ME2. I think it is superior to the actual ME2's story in some ways. It also rewrites small areas of ME3.
Sweet, thanks!
C&C: Tiberium wars has a fanfic that is, IIRC, rather imaginatively, called tiberium wars.

I THINK this is the one: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3654039/1/Tiberium-Wars
Ehehe.

Misread the OP.

I'll keep it there anyways, in case anyone wants to read it.
I'll take a look later; never actually played the C&C games though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 08:47:02 pm »

I think there's several of those in the last post I made for the 2013 book challenge. Most on the list was fairly readable!

More than that... good gods. ME, HP, and Naruto (Check Nugar -- you'll probably like People Lie if you haven't already read it) in particular have freaking bucketloads of good stuff, and WH40k has more than a little. Do you have, like, preferences?

E: Also, don't let familiarity with source material stop you from reading stuff. A great deal of the better fics don't require intimate or even cursory knowledge of canon. Gods know I've never played Fate/stay night, and I've read tons of the stuff. Same for Mass Effect, most of Naruto... buncha' stuff.

And as you read more of a particular series's stuff, the canon information kinda' seeps in by osmosis.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:52:38 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:51:57 pm »

More than that... good gods. ME, HP, and Naruto in particular have freaking bucketloads of good stuff, and WH40k has more than a little. Do you have, like, preferences?
Um... I especially enjoy fics that have the protag address/abuse plotholes in the Original Work as well ones that take a dumbass/weak protag (*cough*Harry*cough*Naruto*cough*) and remove barriers stopping them from reaching full potential. For HP specifically Rorschach's Blot is always awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 08:57:02 pm »

If you like R. Blot, you're probably familiar with nonjon. If not... well, nonjon! Leans toward crack-ish stuff, but pleasing all around, in general. Fairly sure They've got each other on their favorite author lists, anyway.

Which... yeah. Remember those favorite lists on FF.N. Finding critters you like, checking their lists, finding critters in there you like, checking their lists... rinse, repeat. S'one of the major reasons I end up with 100+ tabs open some days.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 09:01:04 pm »

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality: Petunia marries an Oxford biochemist and the young genius Harry Potter grows up steeped in the scientific tradition, which he carries with him to Hogwarts. Gets quite a bit darker than the original series, annoying characters are thankfully absent, and it's still ongoing (but only just).
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 09:01:56 pm »

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality: Petunia marries an Oxford biochemist and the young genius Harry Potter grows up steeped in the scientific tradition, which he carries with him to Hogwarts. Gets quite a bit darker than the original series, annoying characters are thankfully absent, and it's still ongoing (but only just).
Read it, love it, got the pdf version saved on the iPad for when I want to reread it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 09:04:50 pm »

Dragon Age: The Crown of Thorns.
The main character's a bit of a Sue, but it's worth reading.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 09:27:18 pm »

Is that the one where
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 09:40:19 pm »

I personally thought Time Braid was pretty good. The basic premise is "What if the protagonists from Naruto were trapped in the time loop from Groundhog day?" Definitely seconding that one. Also good was Shinji and WH40K which is basically Evangelion if the main character were raised by Orks.

I've always been more of a Harry Potter fan though. I'll be the first to admit that I have weird taste, though. I can recommend:
Harry Potter and the Natural 20 Premise: a boy wizard from the D&D universe gets sent to Hogwarts. Comedy.
Delenda Est Premise: Harry Potter gets sent back in time and meets Pre-Evil Bellatrix Black. Drama
When in Doubt, Obliviate! Premise: What if Harry Potter was raised by Gilderoy Lockhart? Comedy.
Doomsman's Herald Silmarillion crossover. The Master of the Deathly Hollows becomes the wizarding representative of Manos, Judge of the Dead to Middle Earth.
Browncoat, Green Eyes Harry Potter joins the crew of the Serenity as their new pilot.
Unfinished Business for being pretty much the only Snape/Hermoine shipping story that I've ever been willing to tolerate. Romance.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:48:42 pm by Grek »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 09:46:10 pm »

Thanks a ton Grek!

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 10:12:37 pm »

Mass Effect

Glorious Shotgun Princess by Gregg Landsmann. It's a crossover with Exalted.
Also, for Mass Effect x Warhammer40k, try Hammerhand and its sequel Angels of the Storm.

Everything by beanball. Start with The Orbs of Arastani.

Naruto

I'll have to go digging, but one I'm currently reading and really liking is Naruto: Genkyouien. Beware, it has absolutely wonderful crack in it.
Oh, there's also Naruto: Game of the Year Edition, which is also silly.
And S'TarKan's Team 8, which is not silly. It's pretty darn good.

Harry Potter

Easy-peasy. You ready?
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality Oh I see you've already read it.
Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past
Prince of the Dark Kingdom
I would recommend those for standard reading. Doesn't even matter if you know HP or not, those three fics are amazing.

Warhammer 40k
The only one I can think of right now is The God of Death, which is a Warcraft/Warhammer40k crossover. You can also check out The Guy Who Cried Grendel, which is a recount of a Dark Heresy campaign that has been canonized (at least to some degree) by Games Workshop.

Also good was Shinji and WH40K which is basically Evangelion if the main character were raised by Orks.

I was hesitant to suggest that and/or Thousand Shinji, because they are far more of Evangelion fics with WH40k flavor. Also, it's more like if the main character were raised by a representative of each of the main races of WH40k. There is certainly Ork influence though.

I've always been more of a Harry Potter fan though. I'll be the first to admit that I have weird taste, though. I can recommend:
Harry Potter and the Natural 20 Premise: a boy wizard from the D&D universe gets sent to Hogwarts. Comedy.

Damn, I forgot to list this one as well. I second this rec.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 10:24:47 pm »

Mass Effect

Glorious Shotgun Princess by Gregg Landsmann. It's a crossover with Exalted.
Also, for Mass Effect x Warhammer40k, try Hammerhand and its sequel Angels of the Storm.
Read the first and loved it, have not read the other two.

Everything by beanball. Start with The Orbs of Arastani.
Haven't even heard of these, thanks!
Naruto

I'll have to go digging, but one I'm currently reading and really liking is Naruto: Genkyouien. Beware, it has absolutely wonderful crack in it.
Oh, there's also Naruto: Game of the Year Edition, which is also silly.
And S'TarKan's Team 8, which is not silly. It's pretty darn good.
Read the last two, but not the first. Looks interesting.
Harry Potter

Easy-peasy. You ready?
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality Oh I see you've already read it.
Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past
Prince of the Dark Kingdom
I would recommend those for standard reading. Doesn't even matter if you know HP or not, those three fics are amazing.
Have not read those two. Thank you kindly.
Warhammer 40k
The only one I can think of right now is The God of Death, which is a Warcraft/Warhammer40k crossover. You can also check out The Guy Who Cried Grendel, which is a recount of a Dark Heresy campaign that has been canonized (at least to some degree) by Games Workshop.
Heard of most of those.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 10:39:35 pm »

I have a few I'm following in spacebattles but the site has been crapping out really badly for a while. I'll list them when I can get in.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21