Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gingiva - A harsh word is a slow poison. Symptoms may not be felt for days...  (Read 5023 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

... though they kill eventually.

WHAT'S ALL THIS ABOUT THEN
Gingiva is a surreal RPG and spiritual successor to Middens (they take place in the same world, but you can play this game without having played Middens), not unlike OFF (although it certainly ranks higher on the "what the hell is happening" scale), wherein a woman with a turnkey for a head is imprisoned for creating faulty goods. Whereupon a pair of chattering teeth named Gingiva chews through the wall (they live in them, as I'm sure you're aware), freeing her and setting them off on their journey through a harsh, mostly uncaring landscape.

Much like OFF, the primary appeal is in the aesthetics and storytelling. Don't go to this for an amazing gameplay experience; you will be dissapointed.

WHERE DO I GET IT THEN
First off! THIS IS IMPORTANT. This game has a large amount of... colors. If you are epileptic, you may want to avoid this one. Nothing seems terribly flashy, but I also don't have epilepsy, so I can't really say precisely how bad it'd be. You might look up some screenshots, and keep in mind, if there's a wide variety of colors and shapes, they're probably moving and flashing different colors. As ya do.

With that out of the way! You can get it here.

LET'S SEE SOME SCREENSHOTS FIRST
You got it chief!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile

I...
Uh...
What the...
FUCK?
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

wha
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:06:03 pm by Bitoru »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games

YES! I LOVE Middens. Such an amazing game. So excited to see another one like it.

For those who are not into psychedelic/surrealist stuff, this might seem like insanity, but trust me. If it's anything like Middens, it's actually genius.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

All I'll say to the "WHAT" people is download it! The logo really makes it look more unsettling then it is. I mean, it has it's moments? But they're generally not too bad (there's one very near the beginning though, so.... get ready for that! DON'T BE AFRAID). It's honestly pretty whimsical in a weird way.

YES! I LOVE Middens. Such an amazing game. So excited to see another one like it.

For those who are not into psychedelic/surrealist stuff, this might seem like insanity, but trust me. If it's anything like Middens, it's actually genius.

YOU GET IT! I am greatly GREATLY looking forward to middens once I finish gingiva.

I'll say that all of the middens people I've seen love gingiva, and all the gingiva people love middens, so if there was any doubt in your mind on taking a look at this, let me reassure you that there shouldn't be. :P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Sure, I'll play it.

* Yoink removes his sanity cap.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

The screenshots look oddly akin to an old CD-I game I had as a kid, called Alice in Wonderland (based on the Lewis Carroll books, of course). Both games are obscure enough that there's little information available though, so I can't see if any of the people involved in one worked on the other.

Not sure! I suppose there's no real reason the guy couldn't have worked on it, I believe Gingiva was actually done for a kickstarter or something initially, which fell through. Then he finished it and released it for free anyway, because he's kind've awesome. Guy's name is John Clowder, according to an interview I've seen.

Sure, I'll play it.

* Yoink removes his sanity cap.

Atta boy!

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile

I'm going to play it too but first I get some sleep. :3

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile

Ah, sanity. Remember when I used you? Yeah, you're going back in the closet for this one.
Time to download this.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I played it for a while. I didn't make it too far, but man, this is surreal. :D

Reminds me of a game I saw an LP of, similar in style where you played some sort of purple space rat looking for coins to support its drug addiction. I never actually played that, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile

Not sure what you guys are talking about. Seems pretty straightforward to me. The fonts are a little odd though.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Not sure what you guys are talking about. Seems pretty straightforward to me. The fonts are a little odd though.

It is more in the color choices and general visual design. The gameplay itself is pretty bog standard RPG. If you're colorblind that may well be effecting it, I never really considered that. Dialogue is a little staggered, but that does take a while to get into full swing.

To everyone else - Feel free to talk about things that occur later on in the game, but spoiler tag anything big! Luckily plot comes in brief bursts, during area transitions, so there's not really a lot to tag.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

double posting because the boss "first person shooter" is a wonderful thing and the game kinda goes a little nuts afterwords

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

more things, actually with a note:

If you've played middens, a certain couple of characters show up eventually! You probably already know what I'm talking about. As far as I can tell it still doesn't get too deep into the plot of middens. Again, haven't played it.

The game picks up noticeably after First Person Shooter, really.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ermm, ok, it looks weird as hell but I'll give it a try, I've been surprised by weird as hell games before.

EDIT: As soon as I've downloaded the "Batang" font.

EDIT2: Ok, I gave it a shot. And I'm seeing that it's a crazy surrealist RPG in the style of OFF or Space Funeral. Both of which are games I rather liked.

I played through the game for a while and once I got into the big wide world, I started wondering if I should be cranking my head, it seems like it might be unhealthy despite the benefits. Then I got murdered by the second person to propose marriage to me. At which point I realized I hadn't been saving. I swear games that autosave all the time have spoiled me.

Do you know, I know I should be disturbed by games like these, but I find them oddly enchanting. It's sort of like a Dr. Seuss book, it traces familiar forms, but fills the forms with nonsensical and silly stuff. Which I like.

This may make me rather weird.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:02:53 am by Pnx »
Pages: [1] 2