Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will the human sites get a revamp in the next update?  (Read 1260 times)

Xardov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will the human sites get a revamp in the next update?
« on: January 09, 2014, 08:52:04 am »

Right now they're a little boring, in my opinion.  Will there be guardposts, mead halls, proper furniture arrangement, etc. in villages now?  (Unrelated question, but in some human villages, the villagers just sit in their houses, while in others, they move around the village.  Is this a bug?)

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
Re: Will the human sites get a revamp in the next update?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 08:05:33 am »

there will be pseudo-taverns for people to stand in, but toady hasn't mentioned any changes other than that.

I think people move around town like that just to make it seem more lively. I know some go out into the fields to theoretically do farming or something, but they really just sort of go out and stand there and watch you go by. those people are spooky

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 03:24:53 am »

I believe Toady has said that there will be no major overhaul or anything of the sort in this update. There will be a few additions as twentytentacles said but other than this nothing will change.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:05:39 am »

Actually, recent devlogs have confirmed that non-goblin sites occupied by goblins might show a bit of their architectural prowess as time passes on, with "trenches and small towers" being built by invaders.

Also, new sites might sprout during gameplay (although their construction will be realized when the site is offloaded). Toady specifically said no new markets or roads are going to be made as soon as worldgen ends, but that doesn't rule out new keeps, temples, pseudo-taverns and dungeons being built.

Implementing furniture arrangement right now is kind of useless, if ever cosmetical, at least until NPCs are instructed on how to use that furniture. Guards patrolling towns and bandits actively harassing townspeople might have a profound impact on what you can see and do inside a human settlement. Also, with the conversation overhaul, you can now overhear (and likely participate) in ongoing banter, much like what we see nowadays when walking through a market but with plenty of interaction. Let's not forget that, in the next release, you will be able to trade and barter with almost anyone, not just dedicated merchants.

If any of these things seem like something plain or boring, you can always visit elven, dwarven or (gasp!) goblin sites, which will certainly stray a lot from what we're used to see in the current release.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 02:45:32 pm »

Yeah there are new hybrid meadhall-tavern-townhall buildings. There may be some tweaks to the layout or how they get built, but other than the meadhalls, no major structural changes I don't think.