Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should DFHack have its own Child Board?

Yes!  Absolutely!
No, the one mega-thread is fine.
No, get out of here and go use Github instead.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Proposal: Give DFHack its own Child Board / Folder  (Read 4588 times)

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
Proposal: Give DFHack its own Child Board / Folder
« on: January 09, 2014, 10:24:55 am »

1) DFHack is now the primary method to workaround game bugs, even among more casual players.
2) DFHack is a core tool for dedicated players and modders.
3) DFHack has so many parts and pieces that finding them becomes difficult enough that questions often get re-asked in the mega-thread.
4) Though Github could be used instead, it is intended for questions about development of DFHack itself, not for players trying to play the game with it.

Thus a dedicated child board would benefit the community greatly.

(I promise I'll only bring this up once a year)

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
Re: Proposal: Give DFHack its own Child Board / Folder
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 11:17:39 am »

I think tools and utilities subforum is enough. Hopefully we are not causing too much noise there.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:39:53 pm »

I would support this, if the Forum Lords decide it's not too redundant.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 01:21:34 pm »

I personally find it impossible to find useful DFHack scripts, because they are generally buried somewhere in that massive main thread...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 04:08:04 pm »

I personally find it impossible to find useful DFHack scripts, because they are generally buried somewhere in that massive main thread...
I agree, but it would be easily fixed by a simple thread that collects non-official scripts in one place.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 02:35:02 am »

Definitely.  I'm just starting to get into writing DFhack scripts and it would be very, very nice if there was some kind of tutorial, or list of variables...SOMETHING besides pulling apart existing scripts and making vague guesses about what everything does.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 10:17:19 am »

These are the two pages I use; https://github.com/Putnam3145/df-structures and https://github.com/peterix/dfhack/blob/master/Lua%20API.rst.

For the first link the df-units.xml is good place to see most of the flags and values that can be changed in gm-editor (and thus by DFHack)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 02:04:21 pm »

I agree, but it would be easily fixed by a simple thread that collects non-official scripts in one place.

You going to maintain such a thread? I would but I couldn't update it very often...
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 02:46:35 pm »

I am maintaining quite a bit already. ;)

I can certainly start one, and Urist McTeellox made a script that allows other people to edit posts. He could start a thread, and anyone who wants can add scripts to it. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 02:52:03 pm »

That would be awesome! (so long as everyone used it...)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 04:26:10 pm »

I wrote him a PM. :)

The thread for collecting scripts, which can be edited by anyone: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135506.0
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:03:03 pm by Meph »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 05:17:56 pm »

I just added my announce script, looks like that thread will be VERY useful. It's really easy to add stuff, and once everyone lists there stuff there it will make it easy to find scripts.

Too bad I can't change my vote...

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 06:18:10 pm »

The thread for collecting scripts, which can be edited by anyone: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135506.0

Still seems like it would be more useful for each of those to have their own thread, or each member to have their own thread for their contributions.  Megathreads are where useful things die of old age within days.

I'm just saying, if Masterwork can have its own child board, why not DFHack, which is far more intricate.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 10:46:03 am »

These are the two pages I use; https://github.com/Putnam3145/df-structures and https://github.com/peterix/dfhack/blob/master/Lua%20API.rst.

For the first link the df-units.xml is good place to see most of the flags and values that can be changed in gm-editor (and thus by DFHack)

you should be using https://github.com/angavrilov/df-structures

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 11:37:22 am »

Still seems like it would be more useful for each of those to have their own thread, or each member to have their own thread for their contributions.  Megathreads are where useful things die of old age within days.

I'm just saying, if Masterwork can have its own child board, why not DFHack, which is far more intricate.
I agree. At some point when the board structure was discussed, I suggested one myself. The thread about custom scripts was just that: Someone said that custom scripts go missing, and my response was to that statement: Custom scripts can be collected easily in one thread.

If dfhack had its own board, people could work on more independant projects, write how-to, suggestions, manual, official dfhack, branches, all kinds of stuff. I would mostly say its good because it gives it more prominence and more people will take up coding for it. I have seen quite an increase lately, with Boltgun, Roses, IndigoFenix, all starting on their own scripts.
Pages: [1] 2 3