Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boots/ Gloves/ Clothing for invaders  (Read 1411 times)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Boots/ Gloves/ Clothing for invaders
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:51:50 pm »

Why did meph take out boots/ gloves/ clothing for invaders? I really like goblinite and think that the more you have, the better.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boots/ Gloves/ Clothing for invaders
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:57:08 pm »

It generates a lot of clutter, decreasing FPS.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 10:09:28 pm »

I'd really love to add these back in, not for the goblinite aspect, but for balance reasons. I can have enemies arrive in full-mithril armour at my forts, where my best fighter is armed with nothing more than a pointy stick. However because the enemy forgot to bring shoes and gloves, I can still defeat them, because disabling a hand/foot is a *very* effective way to win a fight. I broke many sieges against steel-clad opponents by pelting them with wooden/bone arrows until I caught a hand or food.  On the flip side, my armourers were producing almost boots and gloves exclusively, since the rest we could scavenge from fallen foes.

If nothing else, I'd love to see this to be a configurable option.

~ T

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 10:19:35 pm »

If they are reintroduced, please combine it with those vanishing metals that were mentioned earlier in another thread. The amounts of looted metals are already quite high as it is right now due to the fact, that there are way more enemy races then in vanilla. (Hexxedgarish has 20-30 thieves per season... don't wanna know what happens when ambushes and sieges show up)
That would combine the prevention of clutter with making enemies less susceptible to those kinds of disabling strikes.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 10:50:19 pm »

Vanishing metals is an idea that I floated, but which I really need to sit down and nut out (or better still, have some fabulous DFHacker coder swoop in and write for us). It involves a bunch of DFHack coding, and while I think the idea is sound, DFHack still comes with a reasonably steep learning curve.

Hexxedgarish has 20-30 thieves per season

That's... I've never had anything like that.  I'm going to have to revisit the Hexx thread now.

~ T

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 11:55:10 pm »

about the thieves... I usually get about 6 of each race nowadays. Maybe it is because Hexxedgarish is quite low on value (only half a million) but has >100 dwarves? So no ambushes/sieges, but tons of thieves. Not sure how those thresholds exactly work.

edit: jinxed it... ambush

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 03:06:09 am »

I can give invaders vanishing materials already. But I cant tell them: Make your gloves/boots from it, and not the breastplate/greave/helm/weapons. And they would vanish after 4 months, even if the guys are carrying them. Siege arrives, you wait 4 months, siege is naked. Yeah slaughterfest.

If I give them gloves and boots its 4 items per person, 100 man siege, 400 items. Thats a lot of hauling, pathfinding and extra metal bars.

If sieges are too easy, you can give all invading races combat skills in the GUI. You cant tell me that they cant dodge, when you give them level 10 in dodging. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 05:01:49 pm »

It generates a lot of clutter, decreasing FPS.
Yes, but you can sell it to the caravan, melt it, or just give it to all of your dwarves so they can take care of minor threats personally without involving the the militia.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 05:12:56 pm »

I have to agree that even though it's an FPS issue. Invaders really should have full armor. Clothing is negotiable I guess...
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 09:04:27 am »

Just throwing in my agreement here for invaders with full armour. I want my citizens to be able to use it, I want to be able to trade it, or I want the hassle of figuring out how to clean it up. I'm not flustered about FPS, and if clutter comes too much there's also DFHack's autodump to quickly remove things if I really want to get things manageable again.

Having said that, I know this won't be for everyone, so I'd be delighted if this was a configurable option in the GUI. It's not like MW doesn't already give us lots of options on things we can switch on and off. :)

Just to check, at a raw level is this just a case of adding 'SHOES:ITEM_BLAH_BLAH:FORCED' and 'GLOVES:ITEM_BLAH_BLAH:FORCED' to the entity files? The reason I ask is that means I can apply local patches to my play branch, so my invaders can have full gear even if MW/SWP doesn't. ;)

Many thanks!

~ T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 09:12:44 am »

Yes, its just these two lines.

Still more a friend of evaporating materials, natural armor and all that. ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 05:52:21 pm »

Could a checkbox be made in the UI?

Fully Armored Invaders: yes/no

Everyone's happy, no need to mess around with evaporating stuff.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 05:54:01 pm »

Why not just have it as a toggle like bunches of other stuff?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 05:57:06 pm »

Yeah, thats possible.