Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [ORC] [RELEASE] Orc Fortress Rebalanced!  (Read 9341 times)

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[ORC] [RELEASE] Orc Fortress Rebalanced!
« on: January 10, 2014, 07:51:42 am »

Orc Fortress Rebalanced!

This is a heavily updated copy of Smakemupagus' excellent Orc Fortress plug-in for Masterwork Dwarf Fortress. It's based upon Masterwork Dwarf Fortress - Studded With Patches, which in turn is based upon the latest stable release of Masterwork Dwarf Fortress.

Quicklinks

In "Studded With Patches" (SWP), you may need to enable orcs as a playable race in the settings GUI. It's recommended you download the SWP version if you want all the latest bugfixes.

What's new?

Dwarves and kobolds may be content to hide behind their traps and pets, but Taiga Orcs desire conquest over their foes! The rebalance changes Taiga Orcs to encourage a style of play that more readily encourages raiding and battle.

Orcs will now take the scalps of their fallen foes, provided they're deemed worthy. Scalps are used for building and technology unlocks. Ten scalps may be sewn into a standard of honour. No clan would build a caravanserai for merchants, or a meadhall for warriors, without first collecting trophies to display their victory in combat. Likewise, codexes are a matter of honour for the clan, and require scalps for their construction.

Dreamwalkers use the souls from worthy foes to weave spirit talismen. Blueprints are now unlocked not through raiding, but by walking the dreams of those who have fallen in combat. Likewise, rituals, ceremonies, and certain reactions also require spirit talismen to complete.

Raiding other civilisations is now much more risky, and carries a chance that they will retaliate! It's usually safe to harass local farmers, and bullying kobolds and goblins, but others may not take kindly to you plundering them! Of course, with advances in your clan now dependent, you may want to provoke your enemies into an attack.

Orichalcum is now much harder to come by, and can no longer be purchased from the shadowbroker, nor obtained by raiding. It can still be manufactured if you've built the arcane forge (which requires two bars of orichalcum to build), although its manufacture now yields much less material, and requires a soul gem as part of the transformation.

Bloodsteel and ironbone are now constructed at the totem pole, rather than at the bonecarver. The totem pole only requires a single totem and a log to construct.

Drydocks, and most orcish religious buildings, now must be built above ground. Your Sun & Stars Orrery now actually needs a view of the sun and stars.

Lots of bugfixes and tweaks. Embarks have been adjusted, merchants return coins in 500-unit stacks, corsairs have their own dagger+gun combo, the tribal crafter knows how to make boots and gloves, sorcerers are no longer as spammy, castes show up at embark, and more! This release also includes all the patches made to the gold (formally 'master') branch of Studded With Patches.

Updated manual

This release not only comes with a manual overhaul, but also with the ability for you to make updates and changes to it! The manual is included in the download as you would expect, but it's also now a wiki that anyone can edit. If you spot a mistake, you can fix it. If you find something missing, you can add it. Please be bold with your edits.

The manual is automatically converted into the Orc Fortress manual included with Studded With Patches, so people can take advantage of your changes almost immediately!

Detailed Changelogs

In case you want to see all the changes in detail, here are selected changelogs from the git repo. Less exciting changes (fixing typos, etc) have been omitted:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Notable Masterwork Dwarf Fortress - Studded With Patches changes included in this release:

Reporting Bugs

While you're welcome to report bugs in this thread, I'm able to track them better if you report them on github. You can also view my bugtracker there to see what's being worked upon.

Future Plans

Improved orcs don't stop here! Plans for milestone 2 are already underway. This includes a cleaner system for buffs, announcements on important events like blueprint unlocks and raids, better uses for tears and blood of armok, improved lighting with rendermax, and more.

Contribute

Contributors are amazing! Here are some ways you can help:
Many thanks!

~ T
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:47:03 am by Urist McTeellox »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: [ORC] [RELEASE] Orc Fortress Rebalanced!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 07:59:07 am »

Hey mate, I had an idea; what about an armour set at the Ancient Foundry called 'Honour Guard's X' that incorporate standards of honour as materials.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 09:14:50 am »

Hey mate, I had an idea; what about an armour set at the Ancient Foundry called 'Honour Guard's X' that incorporate standards of honour as materials.

That would be some darn tough armour to forge, but would absolutely be a great way to show off your conquests. :)  I would argue that it should *definitely* provide some buffs, suggestions welcome as to which ones.

~ T

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 09:55:41 am »

That would be some darn tough armour to forge, but would absolutely be a great way to show off your conquests. :)  I would argue that it should *definitely* provide some buffs, suggestions welcome as to which ones.

~ T

Willpower (or even NOFEAR) buffs to decrease chance of running away from battle, maybe?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 09:56:44 am »

Gives NOFEAR to the enemy, so they dont run away, but instead stay and die, like they should.  :D
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 12:55:35 pm »

Would this possibly be compatible with the beta release for your rebalance? I'm pretty attached to the orc for I have going
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 01:04:12 pm »

You cant updated saves games with this.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 02:43:21 pm »

No Bonesmelter? D:

Also, how do you get orichalcum if to manufacture it, you first need two bars of it. But it can't be purchased or raided for (seems like raiding or it SHOULD be possible at an incredibly low chance from a location like 'Dwarven Metropolis')
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:45:10 pm by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 06:06:12 pm »

Wouldn't it make sense to make Orcs and Taiga Orcs mutually exclusive?
Or actually completely integrate normal Orcs into Taiga Orcs.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 06:20:39 pm »

Well what would probably be easier still is to turn 'normal orcs' into 'Corsair Orcs'

Brigands and outcasts with little to no interest in the old ways compared to pure PROFIT.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 06:29:25 pm »

Would this possibly be compatible with the beta release for your rebalance? I'm pretty attached to the orc for I have going

So, the beta actually changes every time I make a commit. But if your beta has ironbone being made at the totem pole, then this is the beta, but with a better manual, a tag in git, and a release announcement. :)  In which case yes, it's absolutely compatible.

Otherwise, no. (I'm still learning what changes are save-game compatible, but I know that adding scalps to all core civilisations isn't one of them.)

Quote from: Shadowclasper
No Bonesmelter? D:

Not yet. One of the things with software is that there are always features to be added and bugs to be fixed. But releasing new versions is pretty easy, the longest thing is actually doing the release announcement itself. I expect there'll be a couple of intermediate releases before the full milestone 2 release, and the beta branch of Studded With Patches will always get live-updates.

Having said that, I love your building concept work, so I'm hoping if I look at everyone hopefully someone will turn that into a building raw that I can include. (Bonus points if they send me a commit or pull request on github / SWP.)

Quote from: Shadowclasper
Also, how do you get orichalcum if to manufacture it, you first need two bars of it. But it can't be purchased or raided for (seems like raiding or it SHOULD be possible at an incredibly low chance from a location like 'Dwarven Metropolis')

Oooh, that's a good one for the FAQ. You get orichalcum the same way everyone else is supposed to get it; by being very lucky. It's a rare product from smelting. (Although not yet from the kobold and goblin shanty reactions; they'll pocket it themselves!)

Quote from: Mahrgell
Wouldn't it make sense to make Orcs and Taiga Orcs mutually exclusive?
Or actually completely integrate normal Orcs into Taiga Orcs.

Right now the plan is to integrate them. The Masterwork civilisation space is getting pretty crowded, and Meph and I have discussed a few tricks to keep Taiga Orcs and Cutebolds reasonably balanced when they're NPC races. (NPC Taiga Orcs have the potential to turn up on your doorstep with Orichalcum equipment, when really they should arrive with rusty steel.)

There is a need for there to be an equivalent of goblins for Orcs (and possibly Warlocks) to beat up on. Right now there's a big balance issue in that your main enemies all have steel or equivalent equipment, whereas dwarves theoretically have a more gentle combat curve. There's some discussion of that in the rebalance thread, and suggestions and ideas there are welcome.

~T

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 06:35:52 pm »

If I had to make a suggestion. Make Gnomes or Elves the goblin equivalent. Gnomes would make more sense, given them a ton of ranged weapons that are very lethal or have nasty side effects, but take a frick ton of time to fire after each shot. Sniper rifle army basically.

That, or just have humans with FILTHY PESANTRY

Seriousl. Filthy pesantry for humans. Several ELITE groups that come later, but for the start, it's GUYS WITH PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES AND LEATHER ARMOR

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 06:54:40 pm »

If I had to make a suggestion. Make Gnomes or Elves the goblin equivalent. Gnomes would make more sense, given them a ton of ranged weapons that are very lethal or have nasty side effects, but take a frick ton of time to fire after each shot. Sniper rifle army basically.

That, or just have humans with FILTHY PESANTRY

Seriousl. Filthy pesantry for humans. Several ELITE groups that come later, but for the start, it's GUYS WITH PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES AND LEATHER ARMOR

You can't control the firing or the reload time of a ranged weapon. That is dependent on the skill level of the user.

You can't choose what units wear or wield during an ambush or siege, though you can influence it through permitted clothes/weapons. Torches aren't a possible weapon, they would just be a club. Though DFHack may be able to change that.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 08:18:04 pm »

Torch. Club like weapon with an automatic ability to cause blistering and pain upon impact, and has a low percentage chance to light someone on fire.

But yeah, the ranged attack thing is a problem.

I guess the only real way to do it is to have some kind of general faction of vagrants and adventurers perhaps?

edit: Also, if somebody can tell me how to change the .exe for the workshop raw maker into a .dmg, I can make it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:30:02 pm by shadowclasper »

MuDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 06:04:40 pm »

I'd almost like to see the Taiga Orcs as an enemy use Ironbone and Bloodsteel, then Orichalcum and Mithril later if possible with possible Cobalt/welded Cobalt as a middle ground.

I like the thought of the Taiga Orcs as more of an honorable savage than the ramshackle soldiers of the goblins and "regular" orcs.
Pages: [1] 2