Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 65

Author Topic: The Saviors of Vault-222: A Fallout Role-playing game  (Read 60829 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
The Saviors of Vault-222: A Fallout Role-playing game
« on: January 11, 2014, 01:59:57 pm »

Fallout: A Post-Nuclear Role-Playing Forum Game

War never changes. It is said that nearly 200 years ago there was a Great War during which nuclear fire rained down from the sky for what seemed like eternity wiping out the entirety of the human race. However vast pockets of humanity remained. Taking shelter within vast underground vaults humanity has managed to avoid extinction. Two of these vaults Vault 222 and Vault 225 have been in near constant communication since their inception. You live in the easternmost vault. Vault 222 is currently ruled by a benevolent man by the name of Yusef Hawking. Today, as you were going about your various tasks you heard Yusef address everyone via the Vaults Public Announcement system.
Quote from: Vault-Tec Broadcast Transcript #056-2244-0945
Hello everyone this is your overseer speaking,
   Last night as I was assisting in the Water Purification department I… heard something distressing. Apparently there have been rumors circulating about a large band of raiders heading for our very vault via the west. Now I’ve been in near constant contact with Vault 225 during the last few days. I will allow Overseer 225, personally, to share what they know.

[Several clicks are heard as the feed switches to Vault-Tec Broadcast #056-2244-0948]
   Is it? Ah yes. Hello citizens of our sister vault. As a favor to my good friend Overseer 222 I’ve had several of my top men scouting the outside world. They have reported no band of raiders; large or otherwise. I assure you everything is perfectly safe on our end. I’ll transfer you back to Overseer 222.
[Several more clicks are heard as the feed returns to Vault-Tec Broadcast #056-2244-0945]
   See? Nothing at all. If something were coming from the west our Sister vault would hear of it far before we would. So to whomever is spreading this rumor: You’ve had your laugh. People bought into the ruse. I’ll admit, heh, I was rather worried about it at first myself. But please, these kinds of jokes can lead to Vault-Security problems. I’d rather not have the Security Officers step in however so let’s just leave this joke as a joke hm? No one was hurt, and all that happened was we got a good scare. That being said, any further discussion of these “raiders” will be met with discipline. I hope I’ve made myself clear Mr. or Mrs. Joker. Now as per standard Vault-Tec rulings I will be transferring a transcript of this to every resident’s Pip-boy. Please re-read the transcript in order to commit any relevant information to memory. That is all for now. The time is 0956. Overseer 222 signing off.
Your own fears about the possibility of raiders lessened you nearly laughed. Even if there were raiders what are the chances of them actually getting within the vault? Several feet of iron and lead protected humanity from nuclear fire. What chance could knife wielding bandits have of piercing it? At most there would be twenty or thirty of them. The vaults security forces easily outnumbered any of the other bandit attempts. However less than twenty seconds after this comforting thought came to mind you heard a small noise from your Pip-boy; It was a written message from the Overseer.
Quote from: Vault-Tec Overseer Personal Broadcast #001-2244-0957
   You are not to speak of this to anyone else. This file will be deleted from your pip-boy in exactly two minutes after being opened.. Come to my office now. Bring your Identification Card and your vault Security Record. If you are not here by 1100 you will be considered a threat to vault security. I assume I’ve made myself clear. Overseer 222 out.
This was the first time you’ve ever seen such a message. The overseer was usually much more personal when he wanted words with you. Worried you rushed to your room to grab your Security Record. Best to give it a quick looking over before you head off to the overseer however…

Character Creation
In order to participate in the world after nuclear Armageddon you will require a player character. How do you make one? Simply fill out the following sheet:
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Known Traits
These are documented traits that have been observed within those living in Vault 222. During character creation you can select up to 2 traits. All traits have a positive and a negative effect. There are other traits that have been observed outside of Vault 222 and they will be mentioned here for completeness though their likelihood of appearing within the vault is negligible. Note that some traits are mutually exclusive. These will be noted via underlined text

Bloody Mess: Your attacks are always all out. You can cause a lot more damage but you rarely cause a critical hit. To reflect this you will always do +4 points of damage but your critical hit chance gains a -9% modifier. Finesse
Bruiser: Your large, muscular, frame is almost freakish. You hit a lot harder but are also slow due to the amount of mass you have to move. Your strength is +2 but you lose 2 action points. Small Frame
Chem Reliant: You are more easily addicted to chems. But who could with-stand their rush? You are twice as likely to be addicted to a chem BUT they effect you twice as long. This does not apply to Stim-packs or other healing chems. Chem Resistant
Chem Resistant: You don’t see the point in chem-use. They just don’t seem to do that much for you. You are half as likely to get addicted to a chem BUT they only effect you half as long. This does not apply to stim-packs or other healing chems. Chem Reliant
Conqueror: You love the taste of combat! You seek it out at every opportunity. Unfortunately this leaves your non-combat prowess a little stunted. All of your combat skills gain a +10% bonus but your First Aid, Doctor, Speech, and Barter skills gain a -10% modifier.
Fast Metabolism: Your metabolic rate is abnormally high. You heal twice as fast as you normally do but have halved resistance to radiation and no resistance against poison.
Fast Shot: You don’t have time for fancy trick-shots. Who would? Instead you simply unload the weapon while the enemy is still aiming their weapon. You cannot take aimed shots but all weapons cost -1AP to use. Steady Shot
Finesse: You handle weaponry with a lot of grace though you sacrifice pure power to do so. All of your attacks deal -20% damage but your critical hit chance is increased by 10%. Bloody Mess
Ghoulified: Somehow you managed to come into contact with large amounts of radiation. Instead of being killed by it however your skin has simply fallen off and you look like a corpse… People are generally disgusted by you but there are some fringe benefits. Your Rad Resistance is increased by +50% and you gain +2 healing rate while in an irradiated area. However your charisma is lowered by -1 due to your appearance when dealing with non-ghouls.
Gifted: Others learned skills, you were born with attributes! Things come a little easier to you but you’re starting to find that maybe you shouldn’t have coasted through life like that. All SPECIAL stats gain a +1 modifier but all skills start with a -10% modifier. Furthermore you receive 2 less skill points per level.
Good Natured: You studied less-combatitive skills as you were growing up. Your First Aid, Doctor, Speech, and Barter skills gain a +20% bonus but all of your combat skills gain a -10% modifier. Conqueror.
Jinxed: Nothing ever seems to go right around you. You used to think this was a curse until you noticed that your enemies ALSO seemed affected by this! If people around you fail at something it will be upgraded [downgraded?] into a critical failure. Their weapons could explode, they could break their leg while jumping or any other wide range of bad things.
Kamikaze: You charge head on into fights! You rely on hitting the enemy first to avoid damage because your reckless nature negates any natural agility you might have in that regard. Your sequence score gets a +5 bonus but your natural armor class is 0.
One Hander: One of your hands is very dominant. Thus you can use one-handed weapons with great skill but two-handed weapons and dual wielding can cause great problems. You have +20% to hit with one-handed weapons but -20% with two handed weapons and -40% when dual wielding.
Overlooked: No one ever seems to take notice of you. You don’t know why. Sometimes it seems like a curse but sometimes it has helped you out. NPC’s will always treat you as though you have 0 karma, but your reputation gain will be half as fast.
Skilled: You couldn’t rely on natural gifts to get you through life so you focused on honing your skills to make up for it. You gain perks one level slower than others BUT you gain +5 skill points per level. Gifted
Small Frame: Your body is much slimmer than most others but you don’t let that slow you down. Quite the opposite in fact as it grants you increased agility! You gain +1 agility but your carry weight is reduced. Bruiser
Steady Shot: You don’t like wasting bullets and as such you try to make each shot count. Some may prefer firing more often but that leaves them with only a knife by the time a death-claw comes creeping about. You have a +10% chance to hit enemies when using Aimed shots. Fast Shot

Combat: Or Resolving Differences via Alternative Methodry
Combat is unavoidable in the wasteland. It will occur when attacked or when you initiate an attack. Combat follows the following flowchart:
Quote from: Usual Combat Flowchart
A.   Combat is initiated.
B.   Sequence for both sides is rolled (d20+Sequence of random member of side)
C.   Side with the highest sequence goes first, followed by 2nd highest, then 3rd, etc. etc.
a.   The members of each side go in order of their Sequence modifier in descending order. Members with matching Sequence modifiers roll a die. Highest goes first.
D.   If any members of an opposing side remain repeat B and C until only one side remains.
E.   The Victorious side gains experience and may continue on however they wish.
But we at Vault-Tec feel we should further go into how combat works. But first you should know what actions are available to you during combat.

See the following for actions you can take on your turn:
Quote from: Combat Actions
Walking – 1 AP per Space Moved
Attacking - # AP (Varies from Weapon to Weapon)
Targeted Attack - +1 AP (In addition to the weapons normal cost)
Reload Weapon – 2 AP
Access Inventory – 4 AP (This involves switching weapons, using chems, or anything else not in your hands currently.)
Other Actions – 3 AP (This involves moving rocks, picking up a weapon from the ground, etc. etc.)
Walking is rather self evident. You can move any amount of spaces during your turn so long as you do not end your turn in the same square as anyone else. You can move through the same square as your allies however you must walk around enemies. You can also attempt to Sneak by using the sneaking skill. This may allow you to move undetected. Attacks made while sneaking have a +5% chance to critical hits. Unfortunately if you are noticed while sneaking your turn will end immediately.

Attacking is a bit harder. You should analyze the weapon you have for more details on how best to use it but in general the theory holds something like this: You select a target to attack, you roll a d100 for chance to hit. If you roll at or below your “Chance to Hit (CtH)” you successfully hit them and they take damage. CtH is affected by light level, distance from target, and proficiency with your weapon. Aimed shots work similarly however you can target a specific spot on your enemy for a variety of effects depending on weapon. Try out a variety of attacks to find the one you like best.
Quote from: Overseer’s Note on Criticals
Every person has a chance to do a Critical Hit. This could be anything from increased damage [1.5x, 2x, or even 3x on very lucky shots], Crippling a Limb [Only on targeted shots], Ignoring the Targets Armor, Knocking the Target out, or Knocking the Target over. This is rolled independently of CtH and Damage.

Unfortunately you also have a chance to suffer a critical failure. If your CtH roll fails you make a second roll. If that one also fails you will suffer a Critical Failure. This can include Running out of Ammo, Jamming your Gun, Losing all of your remaining AP, Dropping your Weapon, or even your weapon exploding! If this wasn’t bad enough you can also see other critical failures!

Reload Weapon is simple. Most firearms, and some rare melee weapons, rely on ammunition or energy cells to function. Once the clip/cell is spent you must replace it with a fresh one or else you cannot attack. Simply reload in order be able to attack again.

Access Inventory is vital! As you can only have one weapon prepared at a time you might find that another would be better suited to your situation. Thus you can rummage through your backpack/holsters/holding container in order to fetch a new one or grab a stim-pack. Regardless finding your equipment takes time. If you do not have enough AP you may have to deal with making an unarmed strike [Always an option] instead of using your brand new chainsaw.

Other can be anything else! Vault-Tec cannot think of everything. Perhaps you want to eat a bullet or talk to your opponent or open a sewer grating or climb down a ladder. This can mean almost anything other than what has already been explained.

Armor Class Bonus is also an option. Sometimes you do not want or cannot take another action that would be tactically sound and so you must wait. Thankfully this grants you a small bonus to your Armor Class. For each unspent action point at the end of your turn you gain +1 to your Armor Class until your next turn.

Frequently Asked Questions
No matter how long the supplies in your vault last one day you will be required to leave it in order to reestablish America and defeat any remaining communists on the planet. Set below are several Frequently Asked Questions that should cover some of the basics:

What actions can I take?
Any and all actions you can think of! Part of life after the nuclear devastation is being able to adapt. Generally actions wills proceed like this:
1.   The player will state the action  they wish to take in bold.
2.   Their character will attempt to perform that action. If they are unable to they will do the action as closely as possible.
a.   Actions with a meaningful chance of failure will rely on a SPECIAL stat, tools, or a skill in order to accomplish it.
3.   The Mod will post the results in the forum.

Let’s take an example shall we?

Little Jimmy wants a cookie from the cookie jar. Oh that rapscallion. Unfortunately his mom has placed the jar atop the counter [just out of Little Jimmy’s reach]! How will our hero prevail? Well in this case we’ll assume Little Jimmy is an agile sneakster.

Little Jimmy might say he wants to Sneak up to the counter and try to climb to the cookies. Good plan Jimmy! Let’s see if that works out for you.

Obviously he wants to sneak so his sneak skill will be pitted against his mom’s Perception. We’ll skip any complications and say that he succeeds. Sneaking over to the counter he now much climb up the counter. As there are no skills for climbing he’ll have to rely on his Agility Stat to do so. Again we’ll say this works for him.

Congratulations Little Jimmy you have succeeded in your mission!

How do I gain EXP?
By completing quests or killing/knocking out enemies.

How do I move?

In most instances you simply treat movement like any other action. Meaning you bold what you want to do. However when you’re trying to move on the Overmap [The Map covering the entirety of the world available to you] it’s a little different. You can either denote locations [I.E. Go to Vault 222], Directions [Head East until…], Specific squares [Go to ZZ24], or simply state you want to explore [This will make your group head into unexplored hexes].

Be warned however that moving through the Overmap is dangerous. Each Grid square has a possibility of a Random Event which could be anything from Merchants to Bandits to Mutants. It is a necessary evil however. You can ask to see the available “Overmap” at any time and the Overseer will send all relevant data to your pipboy.

How Do I Get More Non-Vault-Tec Equipment?
There will likely be several ways. Scavenging the bones of civilization for what you need, purchasing it from roaming traders (Using whatever primitive currency they have), or even stripping the cannibals who thought they might have you for supper. In short: You can find equipment in almost any area so long as you are clever and keep an open mind.
Quote from: Overseer’s Note
You could also steal it. The wasteland savages don’t need it as much as you. Just try not to get caught.

What about...?

Any further questions can be posited directly to a Vault-Tec representative who will answer your question AND add it to the FAQ if needed.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 11:26:58 am by Nerjin »
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reserved for rule clarification and the like.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:36:12 pm by Nerjin »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Selina/Ranger Cado (click to show/hide)

Wait-List - Will be offered in a rotation. 1-X and then start back at 1.
Spoiler:  1 Rui/Again_Dejavu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 5 Kyle Johnson/Kj1225 (click to show/hide)

Wait-List [Needs to have the MOD flesh out parts of their sheet]

Spoiler:  2 Luke/ICBM Pilot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 3 Jason Boyd/Jboy2000 (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:21:10 pm by Nerjin »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Notable NPC's

-Vault 222-
Yesef Hawking, Overseer - A benevolent dictator of sorts. He is very hands on in his duties.
John Parting, Security Chief - An angry bear of a man who lacks much in intelligence but is extraordinarily loyal. He rewards loyal service.
Mr. Harold, Head Engineer - A man barely taller than a child. His lush grey mane is a source of pride. He is mistrustful of all residents.

-Vault 225-
Thomas Ahoist, Overseer - All you know of him personally is he is the overseer of Vault 225. Presumed Dead.
The Red Man, ??? - Part of the group that slaughtered Vault-225. Works for someone named Mea-Culpa.

-Riverdark-
Big Tina, Traveller - Used to live at the Cathedral. Seems nice, if not all together smart. Seems frightened of Nightkin.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:40:29 pm by Nerjin »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 02:31:45 pm by kj1225 »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You need to pick 3 tag skills. Just type "Tag" next to the skills you want to tag.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought I missed something.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:14:20 pm by darkpaladin109 »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)

Looks good? I never did finish my Fallout 2 LP, so I'd thought I'd reuse the concept.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:56:09 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For the most part yes. However you're "8" special points above your allowance. You're only allowed having 40 points in special before perks. Other than that though it's fine.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Saviors of Vault-222: A Fallout-based Role-playing game [2/5 Players]
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 11:47:25 pm »

For the most part yes. However you're "8" special points above your allowance. You're only allowed having 40 points in special before perks. Other than that though it's fine.

My traits are Gifted and Small Frame. That gives me 8 extra Points to play with, which have already been factored in.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 11:48:05 pm »

Reserved, making sheet now.

Spoiler: Selina (click to show/hide)

Sorry KJ, changing up the formula. :P
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 12:06:46 am by RangerCado »
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 11:49:16 pm »

I want to bet that Cado is going to play a shy girl that is scared of men. Just a feeling.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 11:51:40 pm »

I want to bet that Cado is going to play a shy girl that is scared of men. Just a feeling.

Watch Cado make an outgoing gay guy, just to screw with you, KJ (heh).

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 11:53:31 pm »

I hope he doesn't do anything involving gay men, screwing, and me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 65