Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Evil things you do  (Read 9290 times)

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
Re: Evil things you do
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 11:15:05 am »

I've been ordering dwarves to wrestle without gauntlets over a 2-level drop onto a cobaltite floor. So far the trauma values for broken bones and jammed joints are a steady 3 and 9 respectively.

Is there something special about Cobaltite?

Cobalt is fairly dense and can be common. It's the third-most dense mine-able stone, under pitchblende, which isn't found in large quantities, and cinnabar. There are heavier metals, but using metal to make a floor would be a waste.

The amount of damage you take from falls partly depend on what you land on, so heavier stone will hurt to fall on more than something like soil.

So does falling on adamantine floors negate most damage ?

... ONLY IN DWARF FORTRESS.

I am also interested to hear the answer to this

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 03:33:52 pm »

I run a dwarven dwarven daycare (not my idea). throw 1 dwarven kid (1yr old)  and 8 dogs/cats indo the same room, no escape, and drop barrels of food on them. It's quite cruel, right? I name those babies subject (number) and just leave them there. Each time one of the animals try to move, it ends up striking/biting the kiddo/other animal. First week in, and the place is a bloodbath. Thing is, they're staing till they reach maturity at 12yrs. This supposedly trains the child in combat skills, all I got so far was Dabbling. Most of them die from being disabled or dropped barrels on the head...

Yeah, I sometimes assign numbers to children too. It helps later when you are designating a burrow for them. On a drawbridge. Over magma pool.

I used to name my childerbrats (Y)YYYMMDD (usually three Ys because I gen 200 years) according to birth date, so I could sort them in Therapist and see who was closest to being useful. They'd get their proper name upon reaching adulthood, but until then it's being 2040601 or whatever.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Nico2167

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE Bogeymen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 03:39:00 pm »

"Accidental" work accidents while mining, unleashing a handful of Troglodites on my fortress and making a Dwarven newborn sleep outside the fortress so a baby snatcher would abduct it and hoping that baby to lead the final goblin siege on my fortress years later.
Beware that looking into cross breed babies tend to be hella glitchy and crash the game if you save and reload the game as DF doesn't know how to reproduce what ever the god living hell you made.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 03:45:47 pm »

I've been ordering dwarves to wrestle without gauntlets over a 2-level drop onto a cobaltite floor.
Is there something special about Cobaltite?
Cobalt is fairly dense.
I am also interested to hear the answer to this

I did some minor testing in Arena Mode. Miniscule sample size, not very scientific, but I made two floors and dropped five dwarves from one z-level onto each to see what damage they took. One was made of slade, the heaviest material in the game, and another of feather wood, the lightest material.

Slade always broke bones, while the worst I had seen with feather wood was bruised fat. Even after dropping 20 dwarves 8z I couldn't seem to get bones to break with feather wood. Though the dwarves did get seriously injured in most drops, suffering nausea and lung failure.

Though slade is incredibly dense, almost ten times as dense as platinum, the second densest material.

Feather wood is half as dense as adamantine, so adamantine will hurt more to fall on. I couldn't get any broken bones from adamantine drops either, but I was able to bruise bones, so it was likely due to my small sample size (20 dwarves falling 8z again).

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 04:39:12 pm »

i'm picturing a featherwood trampoline now

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 08:50:55 pm »

May I sig this? (Im using this term right, right?)
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 09:40:03 am »

May I sig this? (Im using this term right, right?)
If by "sig" you mean "put this quote in my signature", yes you are. (I'll leave permission-granting to the askee of the first question.)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 09:00:48 pm »

I routinely strip and slaughter prisoners to train recruits. One human managed to survive whole quivers of bolts before bleeding out, it was fantastic training! He spent most of the time passed out from the ecstasies of pain though, which made him a stationary target.

I also had a vampire who had killed some of my favorite dwarves put in an arena match with nothing but basic armor and an axe she had no idea how to use vs a golden scaled hydra who promptly removed both her arms and she was left running about the arena as archers tried to weaken the hydra (I wanted to give her a fighting chance after all). She survived on but without her arms she could not feed, she spent the rest of her life weakened by ceaseless hunger and was used as a cave scout or a pet next to the throne. Years later she died from a forgotten beast I sent her to fight and my revenge was complete.

I had a settlement where it rained "horrid slime" that blistered ones flesh, including insides. I bought a pet leopard from the elves and chained it up outside. The elves arrived every year to see its skeleton still chained up at the entryway.

Human traders are caught in between my locked doors, the breached trade area and the spearspike defense array during a clown party I purposefully unleashed during their stay, their function being a makeshift buffer between my forces and the clowns. Thing have gotten messy, humans are being slaughtered by clowns in the depot and I need to kill the clowns still pouring in. Many humans are attempting to flee to the surface over the spike barrage but the clowns are on the spikes too. HMMMM What to Doooo. Long story short two years later humans are seigeing me 100 men strong.
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 09:20:15 pm »

She survived on but without her arms she could not feed
What's the message for that? 'Urist McVampire cancels On Break: Too injured'?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 09:56:37 pm »

...it is not uncommon to for me to sacrifice soap makers as expendable miners, or light them on fire in a corridor full of goblins (Magma Mist is just as weaponisable as the Magma itself, and turns living creatures into uncontrolled napalm cruise missiles).

And if a noble wants adamantine, I will make them stand by the seam as it's dug out...Hehehe...

I weaponise magma mist to turn dwarfs (and/or pets) into flaming suicide bombers. That count as evil?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 09:41:46 pm »

I set up purge systems in my hospitals. If some idiot comes down with a case of the FB nasties and starts to rot away there's no chance in hell I'm letting it spread if I can cleanse it with molten rock.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 11:44:19 pm »

[/quote]

I did some minor testing in Arena Mode. Miniscule sample size, not very scientific, but I made two floors and dropped five dwarves from one z-level onto each to see what damage they took. One was made of slade, the heaviest material in the game, and another of feather wood, the lightest material.

Slade always broke bones, while the worst I had seen with feather wood was bruised fat. Even after dropping 20 dwarves 8z I couldn't seem to get bones to break with feather wood. Though the dwarves did get seriously injured in most drops, suffering nausea and lung failure.

Though slade is incredibly dense, almost ten times as dense as platinum, the second densest material.

Feather wood is half as dense as adamantine, so adamantine will hurt more to fall on. I couldn't get any broken bones from adamantine drops either, but I was able to bruise bones, so it was likely due to my small sample size (20 dwarves falling 8z again).
[/quote]

we need to go DEEPER!
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 12:00:04 am »

we need to go DEEPER!

Not exactly sure how much deeper you want to go here. It's been known for a little while now that what you land on factors into how much damage you take, and it's no surprise that slade hurts like hell. Frankly, I'm surprised you can even touch it without all your bones spontaneously shattering.

The only way I can see this going further would be by dropping hundreds of dwarves onto every material in the game and graphing the pain we've wreaked upon the cheesemakers.

tom_kazansky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 09:48:44 am »

"As i wanted to find out what happens when all dwarves are dead..."
I developed a method for guaranteed drowning of all dwarvs. 
Whenever i tried to apply that method... migrants arrived.

Eegxeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 06:57:35 pm »

Well I'm not sure if this counts but I managed to use a draw bridge to fling the merchant from a elven caravan into my moat and I got to take all his stuff he had to trade. Still haven't gotten it all in because of the siege.

I also got bored with one fortress and redirected a river into the entrance with all the dwarves inside and unable to get out. It took forever because it surprising did quite well and ultimately only about a fourth of the dwarves drowned the rest starved to death.
Pages: 1 [2] 3