Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 225267 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1080 on: September 08, 2019, 03:56:16 pm »

all regular gals should arrive at the same time and all warriors should arrive at the same time.
Warriors take longer because it is more difficult to find them, it might be in the warriors description how long it takes.
I have never used them in my private games because of the price, only regular gals (and mostly young uber and castaways).
I just got a freak from a Raynerd mission, I think that might be fairly new?

Edit: Bugfix update is out.

It also contains - New Combat Unit: Robo-Parrot
I WANT
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:40:59 pm by Rince Wind »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: September 08, 2019, 05:23:28 pm »

That's very odd, i ordered several warriors and only 3 arrived so if there's no arrival delay that's very likely a bug.
Oh well, i guess i'll order more of them.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: September 08, 2019, 05:53:09 pm »

That said, I think guild bases are the easiest. They don't have anything particularly nasty like chryssalids that can be very dangerous in the tunnels, or cyberdiscs that have a heavy punch and explode when too much reaction fire hits them. Mercs and Star Gods are obviously stronger as well.

I've done two of them, and the first was nicer than the second. Having a couple of Boomosauruses pop around corners and flinging missiles at me soured me a bit on Guild bases.

I just got a freak from a Raynerd mission, I think that might be fairly new?

Not that new? Since at least J14.

Raider Scouts also serve as a decent source of fresh bodies if you're getting a lot of Raiders.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 05:55:04 pm by E. Albright »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: September 08, 2019, 07:31:48 pm »

I rclick to hide stuff all the time in XP.

Haven't done it yet in original/OCXE... Which, incidentally, I'm finding it ridiculously easy now. Though I did lose funding from three nations. One of which is where my main base is located, and the other next door.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: September 09, 2019, 06:38:36 pm »

The guild got tired of me complaining I never saw them, so they've sent out a few secure shipping and gold transports lately, a year and a half in. Now they want to set up shop near my original base. What is the go-to for taking down Marsec Bodyguards? I've not got plasma or gauss unlock codes yet. They go down easy enough to my bugeyes, but bugeyes also run out of morale before they can handle all of them.

Would Black Powder bombs work (eventually)? Incendiary grenades should hurt their morale a bit. I can't name a piercing weapon that does 60+ damage per shot for lowering armor.

Also: I haven't been able to Shake Up ceremony my swabbies in a while. Do they need to become gals first? Is there some other limit?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 08:35:04 pm by Iduno »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: September 09, 2019, 10:06:56 pm »

The guild got tired of me complaining I never saw them, so they've sent out a few secure shipping and gold transports lately, a year and a half in. Now they want to set up shop near my original base. What is the go-to for taking down Marsec Bodyguards? I've not got plasma or gauss unlock codes yet. They go down easy enough to my bugeyes, but bugeyes also run out of morale before they can handle all of them.

Would Black Powder bombs work (eventually)? Incendiary grenades should hurt their morale a bit. I can't name a piercing weapon that does 60+ damage per shot for lowering armor.

A light cannon is precisely that, actually - 60 damage and shaves some armor. It's a good early(ish) anti-armor weapon. If you have access, recoilless rifles are excellent anti-armor weapons in general, if a little more tricky to deploy. The rocket launcher also has an ammo option that pretty much deletes single, unshielded foes. The basic garden-variety laser rifle using bootleg ammo will even have a chance to deal damage, given the armor-piercing nature of lasers.

Or, if you don't have access to any of that yet, a few salvos from a boarding gun will soften 'em up. (Boarding guns are an early-game option for stripping armor at range.)

That said, depending on the situation I'd probably suggest melee for dealing with Marsec Bodyguards. A simple spiked mace to the back will drop them pretty quick.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: September 10, 2019, 01:46:56 am »

Iduno: you need moonshine and rope for shake ups, iirc. It should be listed in the screen as well.
Only gals can undergo the procedure, castaways can't.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: September 10, 2019, 07:21:06 am »

What is the go-to for taking down Marsec Bodyguards?

Also: I haven't been able to Shake Up ceremony my swabbies in a while. Do they need to become gals first? Is there some other limit?
Seduction, if you have it.

I think only normal gals can be shaken up. Can't do it if you're recruiting warriors or castaways or whatever.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: September 10, 2019, 09:43:03 am »

Only gals can undergo the procedure, castaways can't.

Ah, that is it. Thank you.

Laser actually doing 100% damage to Marsec will be useful as well.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: September 10, 2019, 12:03:41 pm »

...and usually ignoring something like a third of armor.

If you're willing to get in close, large blunt/sharp objects work well too, but now that I said it again I feel like a shill for Big Hammer.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: September 10, 2019, 09:02:32 pm »

I'm always disappointed by hammers and their ilk having the evade chance/situation that ranged weapons have, but otherwise would also emphasize melee as a better early-ish option.

Per my lasgun example, while there is a chance of dealing damage against frontal plating it's not an especially great one -- 0-80 damage on bootleg ammo v. 66/67 effective armor after the armor reduction. Heavier lasers will fare better, of course, but relatively humble melee weapons have better chances of inflicting grievous wounds, and are easier to get back attacks with (assuming one it close enough to melee in the first place).

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: September 11, 2019, 08:22:54 am »

I'm always disappointed by hammers and their ilk having the evade chance/situation that ranged weapons have, but otherwise would also emphasize melee as a better early-ish option.

Per my lasgun example, while there is a chance of dealing damage against frontal plating it's not an especially great one -- 0-80 damage on bootleg ammo v. 66/67 effective armor after the armor reduction. Heavier lasers will fare better, of course, but relatively humble melee weapons have better chances of inflicting grievous wounds, and are easier to get back attacks with (assuming one it close enough to melee in the first place).

Also hammers do too much damage. It not only kills my loot (hostages), but destroys the body.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: September 11, 2019, 11:18:46 am »

If you play red codex you have access to furiosa armor. I doubted it, mostly because of the limited inventory and because it can't fly while being only marginally faster than blitz.
NO MORE DOUBTS!
Because you can also build the blood axe, and the effects seem to be additive. Furiosa gal ran through the ground level of a merc(!) frigate, killed everyone down there (engine explosions had made it one big room, which was beneficial to me), ran out the other door, killed more mercs, then went up the elevator, which was blocked by a commando. It died to a plasma pistol, which cost most of the time units left. It was the thenth merc that gal killed that turn, so I forgave her for needing that many shots. Next turn she cleared the entire upper level (only 4 or 5, but further apart) including the captain.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: September 11, 2019, 12:44:10 pm »

If you play red codex...
NO MORE DOUBTS!

On the other hand, you don't get the shadowbat; one of the best transports in the game. Those things (and the Moloch late-game armor) sound amazing, though.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: September 11, 2019, 01:19:27 pm »

I (re-)read up upon the blood axe, and it is especially good against mercs, because TU returned depend on the enemies bio resistance as well, and mercs have bad bio resists at 125%.

I do get the Scarab though which is probably the only codex craft that is viable until the late game.
And while I used the Shadowbat when playing gray I have to say that all codex craft have issues as transporters. Especially now that windows are a thing. No doubt that the Shadowbat is good, and it stands out among the codex craft with decent speed, loadout and not completly terrible layout. But I'd rather have a Deliverator ASAP.
I just got the Devastator, and it has a pretty amazing floorplan. My only gripe is that the elevators are not accessible diagonally (at least from one tile, not sure I tried the other), but that is a pretty minor issue.
12 gals, 5 exits (2 doors in the front, 2 elevators and a ramp in the back, which for once is protected by the back of the ship), 4 missiles slots (so I only use it to attack ships if I have to...) and it is fast (4500). But then, it is the endgame bomber, so it better be good.
I still use the Thunderhorse for most missions, as I can bring 24 people, but for missions where enemies like to throw grenades into the open roof or fire something explosive at the ramps I use the Devastator instead (and used to use the Deliverator, probably the longest serving Troop Transport, as it was also my go to craft for space missions and is now replacing the Drakkar in another base, that I am not very fond of).
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 152