Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 84

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 52128 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1125 on: September 22, 2019, 08:39:25 pm »

They take normal damage from mind and charm, so I could probably do something with that if I know to expect them.

Maybe spike bombs?
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: September 22, 2019, 08:59:16 pm »

If you have the Jellyfish, you'll be carrying the plasma turret beam. That works pretty well. A variety of wands are pretty good IIRC, and airmuskets with willie pete works too. Otherwise, melee as and when you can. If you have a kraken gun, that'd probably be perfect.

I've never seen civvies, though.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: September 22, 2019, 09:04:29 pm »

If you have a kraken gun, that'd probably be perfect.

Was the kraken cannon ever fixed? I tried using it in v16 and, despite its description, still had a lengthy reload time.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: September 22, 2019, 09:12:11 pm »

Without re-checking it seems about the same as a normal cannon to me - I never really thought about whether it should be faster than that.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: September 22, 2019, 10:01:42 pm »

Without re-checking it seems about the same as a normal cannon to me - I never really thought about whether it should be faster than that.

The description says "Instead of using gunpowder, this marvel of engineering lobs cannonballs with its powerful mechanical tentacles. It functions underwater. It also has a mind of its own, and quickly reloads itself with anything it can find on wielder's person. Sometimes in a less-than-gentle manner; every use inflicts 6 Stun dmg."

With that description, I always took the intent of it to be that you can launch two cannonballs in a turn, in return for taking a 12 stun penalty.

Edit/Addition:
And what on earth is with these pogroms... the first two I ran into both had armored cars. Thankfully, I managed to actually succeed in both missions (technically...) with one and two civilian survivors each, and something like 30 hostiles.

At least gambling can get you early LASSes. Or a hammer/half dozen HE grenades if you're desperate. Those are the ratling/ghoul pogroms, right? At least you got some good research and car parts early.

Nope, it still can't be merciful... I have the impression I would've appreciated the early car parts a bit more if it wasn't December 7, 2601 and I just built a Workshop... I finally got the Guild Stapler off a Guild Team Leader as the second to last thing he could've given me.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:07:06 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: September 23, 2019, 09:46:11 am »

Nope, it still can't be merciful... I have the impression I would've appreciated the early car parts a bit more if it wasn't December 7, 2601 and I just built a Workshop... I finally got the Guild Stapler off a Guild Team Leader as the second to last thing he could've given me.

The RNG in this game is weird. Or just more noticeable because of all of the people you need to interrogate to make progress, so missing one (young ubers this run, and later ghouls scientists and mercenaries) is a huge pain.

I still haven't researched (and won't) warehouse wars after almost 2 years because some government agents protected by like 2 dogs were carrying one before I needed the tech. But I almost ran out of stuff to research (certainly anything immediately useful) while looking for a young uber, and I've had to research all gauss technology by destroying the weapons so I could start researching all of the plasma weapons I have laying around. If it wasn't for a pile of reticulan plasma guns I found early, I would have had to restart by now. I'm a few days short of getting School Graduation (which is huge), so stuff is about to open up again.

Also, Plasma weapons destroy terrain, even if you keep shooting the same spot at your feet.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:22:58 pm by Iduno »
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: September 27, 2019, 03:21:43 pm »

In the Piratez succession game, I learned that chain mail only *mostly* removes the danger of the cave bounty C mission. There was also a Disciple of the Apocalypse with a spiked mace, which can almost one-shot you through chain mail.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: September 27, 2019, 04:01:47 pm »

Ouch, yeah I'm not surprised though.  Spiked Maces are powerful, I use them pretty often for armor-smashy.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: September 27, 2019, 04:15:04 pm »

Melee weapons in general are quite dangerous in X-Piratez, outside of a few of the early options. A spiked mace, not exactly the most advanced tech, can take out heavy human armor without too much trouble and even deal damage to tanks.

That, combined with the CQC shooting mechanic (and the AI not stepping back in those situations), makes melee a solid option throughout the game. Risky at times, for sure, but nice.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: September 28, 2019, 09:26:37 am »

Melee weapons in general are quite dangerous in X-Piratez, outside of a few of the early options. A spiked mace, not exactly the most advanced tech, can take out heavy human armor without too much trouble and even deal damage to tanks.

That, combined with the CQC shooting mechanic (and the AI not stepping back in those situations), makes melee a solid option throughout the game. Risky at times, for sure, but nice.

That's my go-to plan. I like electricity for ignoring some armor and also not outright killing enemies. The AI does not have interest in live captures most of the time.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • The brochure sure didn't mention any of this shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: September 28, 2019, 09:55:48 pm »

Glamour is apparently awarded for swiftness when on missions.

But it's also awarded as a prize for spinning the wheel.

What am I supposed to do with it then? Sell it?

EDIT: Also, how do I get more police revolvers? I can't seem to find any outside of stuff like, say, the "Spin The Wheel!" production in Manufacturing.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:12:31 pm by AzyWng »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: September 28, 2019, 10:25:38 pm »

Glamour is apparently awarded for swiftness when on missions.

But it's also awarded as a prize for spinning the wheel.

What am I supposed to do with it then? Sell it?

It's used for making courtesans into exotic dancers or squires into yeomen, both improvements are worth much more money each month. Also, making some armors and a few other late-game crafting things. You can right (?) click an item in most windows to see what's it's used for.

EDIT: Also, how do I get more police revolvers? I can't seem to find any outside of stuff like, say, the "Spin The Wheel!" production in Manufacturing.

Bootypedia says you need Contacts: Gun Emporium and have to have researched the police revolver. Although I think the second part is true of buying most things.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: September 28, 2019, 10:33:43 pm »

Yeah that's probably the main use!  It's useful for quite a few things in mid-late game.  You can see a list of uses in the sell screen by right-clicking the item.  Even uses you haven't researched yet, though they'll be censored unless ask for the names.

Totally ninja'd in regards to the revolvers.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: September 29, 2019, 10:18:03 am »

So, how about that Battle Tank in Jack's Bounty B mission, eh?

I landed 3 hellerium grenades inside of the shell of the tank. All got zero damage 4 times.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: September 29, 2019, 10:30:25 am »

Tanks are generally quite resistant to concussive damage and grenades don't have anti armour capabilities.
I use a rocket launcher with hellerium rockets and still need 2 to 4.
You can probably use RPGs with antitank ammo (be prepared to use a lot of them) or bring down the armour with chem before you try anything serious.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 84