Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 225098 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1155 on: September 30, 2019, 10:59:35 pm »

Anyways, smoke grenades sounds like a pretty great use of that function for troops that aren't expected to be getting into melee.

One thing that might not be obvious along these lines is that you can put pre-primed smoke grenades on Seductresses or Wenches - it's nice for them to be able to drop concealment, and so long as the bombs are pre-primed their locked-off hands don't matter.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: October 01, 2019, 08:13:39 am »

The problem is an MBT, but 240 damage is -40% armor would be a good option. Beats hellerium rockets, which are already impressive.

Oh yeah, I just meant you can't take out an MBT in a single shot. At least, I don't think so. Still my vote for best choice when you're facing slabs of heavy armor and need to punch through pronto.

My goal is to get it down to one round with less than half of my gals. Being able to 2-shot it consistently would be great.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: October 01, 2019, 09:08:41 am »

My goal is to get it down to one round with less than half of my gals. Being able to 2-shot it consistently would be great.

Since (as far as I can tell) there's no way to tell how much HP enemies have in X-Piratez, this drove me to dive into the mod data to answer that question. This, in turn, brought me a few answers:

• The turret is indeed the unit; the body of the tank is technically a map feature (I think). Not sure if that definitively means that attacks to the body are a complete waste, but it does mean one should probably focus on the turret.
  • The turret has 160 health.
  • The turret has... a lot of armor. 275 frontal, 200 side, 125 rear, 100 underside.
  • Its resistances look about the same as a regular tank (e.g. 75% piercing), but it's a bit more resistant to plasma and warp, a tiny bit less resistant to concussive (60% v 55% for a regular tank). Piercing, lasers (75% each) and warp (125%) seem to be the best bets, assuming you can get through the armor.

Overall, seems like a single MAG rocket to the rear armor would do 15-175 damage (if my math is right). So a potential one shot kill, but could also take as many as 11 rockets if you roll minimum damage that many times in a row. Shooting the front of the turret is going to be a slog regardless of what you use. [Edit: though if you're incredibly lucky, you could 2-shot it with MAG rockets.]

Also, the main battle cannon has 225 power.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:22:52 am by Dostoevsky »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: October 01, 2019, 09:39:01 am »

Of course you can look at how many HP a unit has. Brainer Outfit should work, or you can just use a regular old mind probe.
Hellerium Rocket hits the under armor four times, but I haven't calculated if that is better or worse.
You can always load a deathblossom with chem ammo, an autoshot can strip an insane amount of armor.

My go-to tactic is: did it shoot lokks this turn?
Yes: Attack it
No: Wait for it to attack lokks.

Anyway, my tank woes are over, I have an XEC suit with dual gauss, 2 shots with 250 damage each, 15% pre armor damage. For stripping blue shields it has dual lascannons that deal 150 damage.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: October 01, 2019, 09:49:53 am »

Of course you can look at how many HP a unit has. Brainer Outfit should work, or you can just use a regular old mind probe.

D'oh, right. I wish there was a way to record that info between fights, though. (Recording it within the game, that is.)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: October 01, 2019, 10:09:51 am »

I mostly use it for enemies that I don't know well where I want to know if I make progress. Like the enemies in the zombie panic mission, or when I had my seductresses try to put a merc commander asleep.

You could make a screenshot with f12 and then give it a proper name. Alt-tabbing out doesn't cause the game to make any trouble.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: October 04, 2019, 05:51:14 am »

Regarding bravery training:
I think I read it before, and my experiments seem to confirm that there is +10% chance to gain bravery for every turn not panicking with <50 morale and every heal with a proper medkit. Bandages are medkits.
I used two gals, both naked and with a wand of airlessness to help them loose morale more quickly or again if they go back over 50.

When they had a full 10 turns they would gain bravery, but 7 or 8 were not always enough.

Something odd I noted: a gal in power armor with both hands full (medkit and grenade) reaction-punched someone to death.
Lady ... I had you carry these things in your hands to avoid exactly that while you soaked up enemy bullets and attention so I could conduct my experiment/training in relative peace.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: October 04, 2019, 08:31:10 am »

Regarding bravery training:
I think I read it before, and my experiments seem to confirm that there is +10% chance to gain bravery for every turn not panicking with <50 morale and every heal with a proper medkit. Bandages are medkits.
I used two gals, both naked and with a wand of airlessness to help them loose morale more quickly or again if they go back over 50.

When they had a full 10 turns they would gain bravery, but 7 or 8 were not always enough.

Has anyone checked to see if going way below 50% affects the chance of gains? I've had bugeyes gain bravery after succeeding at one check at like 5 morale.

I also have never had a gal gain bravery after healing only 3 times, unless they made a bravery check as well (and healing increases morale, so it has to be first). And healing is my normal go-to for increasing morale (because I like my gals not dying, and I didn't research armor fast enough). It would be weird, but I guess bandages could work differently than morale checks for increasing bravery. That, or I've got real extreme luck.

Edit: Also, ropes exist, and train bravery. I did start over-using stun batons because they train an annoying stat (reaction), so I guess I could try those out on necropirates/werewolves/whoever else stands up and doesn't surrender or something.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 09:56:01 am by Iduno »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: October 06, 2019, 10:16:22 am »

Another observation based on few data points that someone else may be able to refute/confirm:

While fighting the Battle Tank, and later a field gun (from the highway house), I noticed I was doing damage much more reliably when I attacked from above. I one-shot the field gun with a black powder bomb, which prevented its deadly reaction fire.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: October 06, 2019, 10:27:21 am »

The field gunner doens't wear protection - he is vulnerable to poison gas. So far the easiest solution I found, as you can throw that further then black powder bombs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: October 07, 2019, 08:33:20 am »

And is more stuff resistant to daze or electric? I was looking at the numbers, and a trained gal does about 7.7daze/tu with a slaver's cane and 6.5-7.2elec/tu(+25%pene) with a stun prod. The former does more damage per hit though, which should help cancel out the armor penetration if I understand how it works properly.

Looking at high-end enemies: Academy, church, traders/marsec, and government are less resistant to daze. Star Gods and Mercenaries are less resistant to electricity.

It also depends on how armored the enemy is. I think stun batons max out at 40 damage, and 48 on Lok'Naars. The armor penetration normally means I start having difficulties doing any damage around 50-60 armor. It looks like Slaver's Cane has a better 85 damage max. I'd go cane for more armored enemies. 10% damage to health means it shouldn't accidentally kill anyone in one hit, but you might send someone into overstun.

Thank you again for this advice. I just took down two academy scientists with one gal each. I still use stun batons to train melee and reaction at the same time, but it's great to have something to take down bigger enemies.

The field gunner doens't wear protection - he is vulnerable to poison gas. So far the easiest solution I found, as you can throw that further then black powder bombs.

Hmm. I haven't had poison gas in over a year this run, but if it one-shot the gunner, that would work. It's a pain to fight an enemy who has such massive LOS and an explosive shot.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: October 10, 2019, 03:25:31 pm »

The new Piratez version looks crazy. Random events, a new invisible freshness stat that forces you to rest gals for a reason other than injuries, and a bunch of condemnations will be giving stat bonuses. Plus the normal amount of additions/removals.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: October 10, 2019, 04:07:05 pm »

You'll need to do some save-hacking of freshness stats if you want to continue an old save, though...

It is supposed to be relatively imminent, regardless.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: October 10, 2019, 06:40:56 pm »

Seems so soon after J17, which already changed significantly by adding weirdgal transformation.  It's exciting to see the project so active though.

Not sure what to make of this freshness thing, even watching the Discord.  I sorta like it in theory, but I hope there's a convenient way to at least keep track of it.

I do like the little stat bonuses from commendations which are being added.  They're on top of stat caps, as well, so you don't have to worry about maximizing them.  And some are new and... bizarre!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: October 10, 2019, 08:08:42 pm »

Huh? Is the next version already released, or is it in some kind of semi-hidden beta state? I usually snag my versions from the OXC forums and it still shows J17 as the latest.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 152