Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 224763 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1185 on: October 17, 2019, 10:05:27 pm »

The big thing to note is you need to manually set mana in any save file from a previous version.
Quote from: Dioxine
yeh you need to change mana: 0 to any positive number, like 50

I don't have the game handy to check whether mana exists in old save files, I think it does.  Otherwise maybe you have to load in the new version then save, then edit it.  Though I think it's the former - running old saves without editing mana results (after a mission?) in gaining minor amounts of freshness - narcoleptic gals.

Mana is "freshness", and hoo-boy supposedly that long-term-exhaustion mechanic is one of the lesser overhauls according to Dioxine.  Looking forward to this!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 10:07:29 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: October 17, 2019, 10:20:47 pm »

I checked my existing save file before going into a new one, and it did indeed already have mana values for troops (just all at 0).

As to suggested starting mana value, 50 works for almost all races - it's below cap, and thus will train up like the energy value.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: October 18, 2019, 12:01:40 am »

- All grenades explode in inventory when the timer runs out
- New Feature: Enemy Panic & Berserk sounds; hence, enemy panic txt messages now locked OFF

Uh. So that means we can't preprime our grenades and keep them in our inventories indefinitely anymore? Which makes stuff like boomfruit, stick grenades, etc. more useful again, I guess... (Which is fair enough, I guess. One run I didn't develop stick grenades until I was producing my own plasma weaponry.)

With the suppressed text messages, does this mean we have no visual indicator on the screen for when this happens out of LoS? Yet another tactical casualty to gaming in silence. ;_;
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: October 18, 2019, 02:27:23 am »

At least until now there wasn't a sound effect for enemies, unless that changed as well.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: October 18, 2019, 04:25:50 am »

My last save was in battle, so I found out what happens if you are in battle with 0 freshness. Everybody panicked and their morale dropped to 15.

After testing this, I left the battle and currently I am replacing all "mana: 0" with "mana: 40".
And it is done. Time to check things out.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: October 18, 2019, 05:41:45 am »

I always update at the end of the month, and not during battle.

I just looked at the change list, and there are panic sounds for the enemies now.

But you should be able to unlock the option to display panic messages, I think it is in piratez.rul, but I am not sure.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: October 18, 2019, 08:10:40 am »

"All grenades explode in inventory when the timer runs out"

That sucks.

"Enemy morale regen lowered"

That helps.

It sounds a lot like a time to start a new game. After waiting a week for other people to find the bugs.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: October 18, 2019, 11:59:35 am »

The Patient condemnation reducing freshness seems like it has the potential to hurt...

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: October 18, 2019, 12:58:15 pm »

Patient and Birthday Cake both look like they put interesting limitations on troops. Basically, if they don't distinguish themselves via other condemnations they'll slowly wear out (lose freshness and a some TUs).

I like the idea, as it brings a bit more churn to your troops and means pirates that spend all their lives on guard duty are going to be a bit out of shape.

Edit: Looked at some existing highly-decorated gals, and pretty impressed at stat possibilities now... 'natural' 156 melee and 130 bravery? Don't mind if I do. That said, some of my less-used gals are now rather worn out.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:06:51 pm by Dostoevsky »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: October 18, 2019, 01:04:00 pm »

Hmm if i understand well, with Patient hurting that freshness thing, i seems to lessen the interest of wearing various kind of outfit in battle and only focus on not getting wounded, so basically tells you to wear chainmail all the time until you get an even stronger armor ?

about the grenade exploding with timer in inventory, usually i just prime and throw, then they explode on next turn , does that mean that if you prime a grenade in pre-battle you must immediately throw them on turn 1 or you'll explode with it on turn 2 ?

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: October 18, 2019, 01:11:31 pm »

Hmm if i understand well, with Patient hurting that freshness thing, i seems to lessen the interest of wearing various kind of outfit in battle and only focus on not getting wounded, so basically tells you to wear chainmail all the time until you get an even stronger armor ?

about the grenade exploding with timer in inventory, usually i just prime and throw, then they explode on next turn , does that mean that if you prime a grenade in pre-battle you must immediately throw them on turn 1 or you'll explode with it on turn 2 ?

On the first point, it's not that bad. The Veteran bonus (being in successful missions) gives extra freshness, and a lot of the more specialized medals also give freshness, so as long as they're participating well it's not too much of a hit. One side effect of this is that the 'transformations' like training can give a hit to freshness thanks to the medical recovery needed.

On the second point, haven't tried yet but I aim to give it a try for !!SCIENCE!!.

Edit: Put smoke grenade in one hand, it detonated in said hand after the end of the first turn. Welp, glad I stuck with a smoke grenade for testing.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:21:40 pm by Dostoevsky »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: October 18, 2019, 01:19:20 pm »

cool to know other condemnation give more freshness.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: October 18, 2019, 01:59:09 pm »

Edit: Put smoke grenade in one hand, it detonated in said hand after the end of the first turn. Welp, glad I stuck with a smoke grenade for testing.

Isn't a 0 supposed to explode at the end of the current phase, a 1 at the end of the next (enemy) phase, and 2 being at the end of your next turn? So, in terms of practical use, you want to prime to 2, throw it at your next opportunity, and so it goes off then?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: October 18, 2019, 02:07:26 pm »

I've had a few times where I primed a grenade, and either found out I couldn't throw it where I wanted, or turning to face the enemy gave me too few TUs. Things will get exciting here soon.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: October 18, 2019, 02:18:59 pm »

According to Dioxine the switch to turn the panic messages on again is in piratez_globals.rul
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3626.msg118210.html#msg118210
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 152