Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 224766 times)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1500 on: May 24, 2020, 10:40:12 am »

Two plasma spitters on a nightmare didn't even penetrate shields of a viper fighter (before nightmare was shot down, anyways). I'm not doing that shit. How do i cheat in that damn launcher? Considering i'm already ctrl+d, ctrl+j'ing almost every mission...

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: May 24, 2020, 11:17:35 am »

You are not really supposed to attack with a single craft, no wonder your ship was shot down.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: July 16, 2020, 02:32:18 am »

First base I spot in this game, and it's the mercenaries.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: July 16, 2020, 05:58:08 am »

Just don't bring piercing weapons. Mercs are not so tough if you use Laser/Plasma or melee. The hovertanks can be a bitch kill though.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: July 16, 2020, 10:12:20 am »

Bringing mind control into a merc base is also a great cause for maniacal laughter.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: July 16, 2020, 12:02:27 pm »

Just don't bring piercing weapons. Mercs are not so tough if you use Laser/Plasma or melee. The hovertanks can be a bitch kill though.

I remember that they're pretty easy to kill with the right weapon, but I can't remember which one(s) they're weak to.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: July 16, 2020, 12:24:32 pm »

Looks like they take 100% of cutting , so i imagine a good strong axe (as they do a lot of damage) could also be usefull, assuming you can get in melee without having been atomised by plasma beams on the way.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: July 17, 2020, 02:32:09 am »

Lasers work fine. They take 150% damage from bio, iirc, which makes red codex' blood axe and furiosa armor hilariously op. One gal can kill a shipload of them in a single turn by her own.

Charm is also great. Bringing two gals in seductress outfits makes capturing the commander (and anyone else you fancy) really easy. (the commander will take a few charm attacks, but these don't provoke an reaction shot, so if you can go behind cover with 1 step you are quite safe)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: July 17, 2020, 04:22:52 am »

Don't mercs have a fairly good melee dodge rating though? Or whatever it's called.
Also, how do I kill sectopods? They got blue shields, and I'm guessing they'll be mostly immune to a lot of damage types that go through blue shields. You can't poison a robot. I shot down a Star God heavy gunship that was on a crackdown mission, but decided to bail out a few turns after landing.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: July 17, 2020, 06:25:40 am »

Apparently sectopods takes 100% of damage from piercing, laser and cutting  (and warp and chem) .
if it's a blue shield, the xpedia mention
They are unparalleled at stopping brute force attacks: 25% damage from Piercing, Burn and Concussive.
They are almost equally good at countering exotic energies: 50% damage from EMP, Mind and Warp.
They protect normally from strong energy attacks, like Laser, Plasma and Electricity. They only have trouble with slow-moving, low-powered threats: Cut and Stab deal normal damage, while Daze, Chem and Bio go through unimpeded.

no idea what is the difference between "protect normally" and "go through unimpeded", as the "protect normally" does not mention a specific damage reduction and the xpedia html does not go into stat and formula details.

so it looks like laser (if normal is the same as "do nothing") and cutting and chem should be the way to go .

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: July 17, 2020, 06:32:55 am »

Still, last time i played, it took about 3 EMP minibombs to kill a sectopod, so you can just go with that.  :P

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: July 17, 2020, 07:31:40 am »

Apparently sectopods takes 100% of damage from piercing, laser and cutting  (and warp and chem) .
if it's a blue shield, the xpedia mention
They are unparalleled at stopping brute force attacks: 25% damage from Piercing, Burn and Concussive.
They are almost equally good at countering exotic energies: 50% damage from EMP, Mind and Warp.
They protect normally from strong energy attacks, like Laser, Plasma and Electricity. They only have trouble with slow-moving, low-powered threats: Cut and Stab deal normal damage, while Daze, Chem and Bio go through unimpeded.

no idea what is the difference between "protect normally" and "go through unimpeded", as the "protect normally" does not mention a specific damage reduction and the xpedia html does not go into stat and formula details.

so it looks like laser (if normal is the same as "do nothing") and cutting and chem should be the way to go .

A shield is effectively a regenerating pool of HP on top of armor (and not protected by it, not even it's resistances).
"Protect normaly" means the shield takes normal amount of damage.
"Go through unimpeded" means the shield takes no damage, but the armor (and possibly real HP) is hit.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: July 17, 2020, 07:58:46 am »

Ah that's how it work, i always thought those shields were only a damage reduction/resistance layer that would go away after a few hits.
So it looks like cutting is great as usual and chem is the best against sectopod.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: July 17, 2020, 08:15:29 am »

Don't mercs have a fairly good melee dodge rating though? Or whatever it's called.

By the time I'm going after a base, the gals all had near-maxed melee stats. Hit the mercs from behind and they go down like anyone else.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: July 17, 2020, 09:16:48 am »

Cutting might go through the shield but the sectopod itself if pretty resistant to cutting. Axes are not very good against them, not even vibro or blood axes.

Bringing down the shield with whatever is at hand and then using portable lascannons works well. EMP Minibombs are a great solution to the problem that are vehicles.

If you have lascannon hovertanks or something similar you can down sectopods quickly Even better are XEC with lascannon and/or gauss.
Be careful though sectopods tend to not move much and they have a pretty good reaction. If you need to slowly bring their shields down by having multiple gals shoot them it is best to only use around 50% of their time units before going back to cover.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 152