Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 225256 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1515 on: July 17, 2020, 10:01:33 am »

Cutting might go through the shield but the sectopod itself if pretty resistant to cutting. Axes are not very good against them, not even vibro or blood axes.

According to xpedia, the sectopod takes 100% of cutting damage.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: July 17, 2020, 11:03:39 am »

They are unparalleled at stopping brute force attacks: 25% damage from Piercing, Burn and Concussive.
They are almost equally good at countering exotic energies: 50% damage from EMP, Mind and Warp.
They protect normally from strong energy attacks, like Laser, Plasma and Electricity. They only have trouble with slow-moving, low-powered threats: Cut and Stab deal normal damage, while Daze, Chem and Bio go through unimpeded.
By the way, this wording says that Laser, Plasma, Electricity, Cut, and Stab are equally effective. I am currently trying to read Yankes_Scripts.rul to determine if it is true.

Result: Damage types 0, 9, 10, 17, 18 ignore Blue Shields
                                 1, 2, 3 do 25% dmg to it
                                 13, 14, 15 do 50%
                                 6, 8, 11 also ignore it
                                 everything else, 100%

So: Go through : Charm, Warp, Stabbing, Heat, Cold, Burn, Chem, Choking
       25% dmg  : Piercing, Anti-E511, Bio
       50% dmg  : Laser, Plasma, Daze
       100% dmg: Electric, Emp, Mind, Concussive, Cutting

Going from K2's Yankes_Scripts.rul and translation.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: July 17, 2020, 11:14:33 am »

By the way, this wording says that Laser, Plasma, Electricity, Cut, and Stab are equally effective. I am currently trying to read

I (I think it was me, at least, maybe I just read it?) asked about the wording of the blue shield's description a few months back, and the dev confirmed the two sets all do 100% damage. They just had trouble finding a way to write the sentences that didn't feel messy.

As to sectopods, regardless of their relative weaknesses they're still going to be tough nuts to crack without good weaponry. And their weaponry is nothing to sneeze at.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: July 17, 2020, 02:28:01 pm »

By the way, this wording says that Laser, Plasma, Electricity, Cut, and Stab are equally effective. I am currently trying to read

I (I think it was me, at least, maybe I just read it?) asked about the wording of the blue shield's description a few months back, and the dev confirmed the two sets all do 100% damage. They just had trouble finding a way to write the sentences that didn't feel messy.

As to sectopods, regardless of their relative weaknesses they're still going to be tough nuts to crack without good weaponry. And their weaponry is nothing to sneeze at.
Hrmm, it appears that the order in which the damage types appear in the Bootypaedia is not the same as the native order. Correcting
Goes through: Charm, Daze, Chem, Choking, Anti-E511, Bio, Heat, Cold
Does 25%: Piercing, Burn, Concussive
Does 50%: EMP, Warp, Mind
Does 100%: Laser, Plasma, Cutting, Electric, Stabbing
Does 250%:

So yes, the dev was correct. I have been looking at the order the damage types appeared in the bootypaedia for sectopod. This time, I looked directly in en-US.yml.

On sectopods, you could use chem. Their shield ignores it and they have no specific resistance to it. Shotgun chem rounds should work. Or kill their shields with shotguns/explosions.
Remember, shield is on top of armor. So even if it is resistant, it is not immune. And shotguns deal a lot of damage to unarmored targets. In this case, Plasma caster will work wonders.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: July 17, 2020, 02:45:45 pm »

Sectopods have really high armor (if I recall), though. Are there many shotguns that'd be able to get through without firing a pile of rounds to slowly melt it first? Assuming one isn't at a really high tech level, your troops would have to do a lot of hit and run and hope reaction shots don't vaporize.

Though maybe I'm assuming too low of a tech level. I tended to just avoid Sectopods like the plague until I was well-geared.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: July 18, 2020, 03:12:07 am »

I have chem ammo for the Python HSR and the Heavy Slugthrower, and chem damage also destroys armor, so those should work. I think I prefer this approach to trying to RULES OF NATURE the sectopod with an axe, since it lets me stay at far distance and in cover.
The other good solution would be to take the shield down, and then use EMP. For that, I got autolasers and the Eurosyndicate electrogun, as well as plasma subrifles.
It seems like the main danger is going to be finding good cover, and not getting fried by reaction fire.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: July 18, 2020, 07:18:26 am »

You might be able to do it from the safety of your ship. If your ship is safe, that is. It might take longer, but it is less risky.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: July 18, 2020, 11:55:09 am »

I'm using the Metallo as my troop transport, and she's got an open back.
I think I might have researched the reticulan-inspired transport, but then forgot to build one, so there's one place where I can improve.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: July 18, 2020, 12:17:45 pm »

Isn't that the TftD Triton? It probably has windows in the front and is very slow, iirc.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: July 18, 2020, 01:19:30 pm »

Windows? Shit, so much for that then.
I already started building it, so I think I'll finish it and test it out.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: July 18, 2020, 10:36:34 pm »

It's a great ship if you manage to get it before you get the codex ships unlocked. I think it's been changed a few times, so it may work differently than I remember.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: August 24, 2020, 09:39:13 am »

New XPiratez update.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: August 24, 2020, 11:35:26 am »

It's been a long time i wanted to start a new play, it's been 2 versions already i missed :D

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: August 24, 2020, 11:51:40 am »

I finally came back to the version before this new release, I was scared off by the introduction of Freshness but it really hasn't been a problem.  Of course my air game is mostly nonexistent so my guys and gals get plenty of time off at this point.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: August 24, 2020, 12:09:04 pm »

Been a version or two since I last played as well, but I did spend some time with freshness. My general impression was that it by the time you were potentially running lots of missions your stable of troops was big enough for it not to be that bad. That was playing the gal route though; I imagine it may be a bit rougher on a co-ed path.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 152