Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 225288 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1560 on: February 07, 2021, 03:36:13 am »

I started a new "proper" game (not quick battle i mean) and sent 2 drop pods against some orks

Was happy that none of the rookies (or whatever they're called) spacemarines died in that landing.Though it didn't helped much for the battle as despite originally shooting and auto shooting several orks down, my troops was annihilated in some fiery explosion and more orks shooting back, what a disaster for a first mission :D

The sound environment is really good and there are now some cutscenes between missions (something rather new as last time i toyed with this mod they didn't existed) that put you into the atmosphere.
Looks like i'll be busy for a while with this mod.

edit : a fix for a potential crash in current 029 version of the wh40k mod
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6413.msg136433.html#msg136433
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 05:49:00 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: February 10, 2021, 09:52:58 am »

After a successfull mission in which we killed several Chaos cultists, it resulted in everyone minus 1 rookie space marine being wounded .
So we requested more cannon fodder neophytes to be sent while the survivors could heal , along with more ammo and grenades as they are used very quickly, everyone arrived just in time , a chaos ritual (i assume that's the wh40k equivalent of terror missions) was detected.

After filling them with the newbies led by our proud Pompeia Morellis (she was the one that and did a lot of good in our previous success, ah yes, our breakgrounding experimental chapter does not reject women), we threw our drop pods right into the fray, crashing into the cultist ritual in order to start to fill them with bolters ammo.
I was a bit annoyed because it was night time, but couldn't let that early terror mission disappear, i need to test my space marines.

Our pods apparently killed a couple of unfortunate cultist when landing or deploying, then everyone rushed out of them.
With some nicely aimed grenade we took out some of the cultists that were in difficult places. And with non stop bolter shots we killed more of them.

All was nice and everything, but i guess my marines were enjoying the place a bit more as they took too much time and the ritual was apparently completed, because i had a message that enemy reinforcement suddenly appeared.
I wasn't expecting this, but i saw quickly what it was.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, 2 huge red flying demon with big swords. And they took several shots without caring much.
It was time to enact the new operational tactic of our breakgrounding experimental space marine chapters : "let's run the hell away from those things" tactic that only our space marine chapter is allowed to use.
Still the 2 huge demons managed to sword murder 2 or our good neophytes that were bravely running away while our proud  Pompeia Morellis got hit by a grenade coming from somewhere in the back and then couldn't reach the pod anymore and was lost in the whole mess that ensued
Despite the defeat at least the score wasn't too bad in the negative, so not all is lost, the chapter bravely retreated successfully (it even mentions 'enemy defeated' , i guess whoever survived is the one that wrote the report to make the chapter looks good :D )
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 09:58:15 am by Robsoie »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: February 10, 2021, 12:56:21 pm »

Well, technically some enemies were defeated, so it is not wrong.
Just not all of them.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: February 10, 2021, 02:54:24 pm »

Decided to not retreat on a new terror mission (helped by the fact i finally had more marines available this time), this one was about protecting an imperial guard base that was overrun by chaos (chaos cultists, some chaos spacemarines and 2 of those flying demons with swords)

Looks like grenades , at least in such early game, are the very best weapon by far : you don't have such low percentage to hit (those neophyte scouts armored guys and gals are truly terrible at shooting :D ) and can even sometime kill multiple targets with one and they do serious damage.

The 2 flying demons went down after a couple of grenades, looks like eitehr they were less resilient than the chaos summon ritual mission mess made them appear (though i only had time to sent 1 grenade to test them, along a few placed bolter shots) or for the time they went inside and out of view hunting the poor imperial guards they got hurt a bit

The 2 demons probably sword-killed 5 or 6 imperial guards before i could get to them.

Unfortunately despite the victory we had so much losses (lots of imperial guards and 5 of my spaceguys ) than i got a nasty negative point result, hopefully the loot seized will make it up for it.

Managed to get my hand on 2 actual space marines armors from some requisition item research, it should improve the life expectancy of my current 2 best marines.

Lots of fun so far, though there are several variants of similar-looking bolters weapons that do not make it easy for a non wh40k expert to know which one is a good purchase and which weapon is a complete waste of money, i'll have to spend time comparing the stats pages for those.

And on the next mission, fielded for the 1st time 2 of my space marines in devastator armor instead of their previous crap scout armor

Wow, they're killing machine, not sure if it's the armor or the fact they leveled in ranks and gained more skills, but my Veteran shot 3 snap shot and killed 3 cultists in the same turn.
What a difference from before.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 02:56:26 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: February 11, 2021, 05:20:58 am »

Ran into another cultist ritual.
We were going so well, eradicating cultists left and right, losing a scout to an enemy grenade (grenade are still the most accurate and usefull weapons of them all in that early game, reminds me of xpiratez) when we moved close to some large containers in the middle of the city, in the enemy turn it became obvious people were murdered inside.

Then the container broke when we were started to get close to it (i wanted to make a hole with a grenade to stop the ritual but i was too slow to reach that point) and a few demonettes , a huge plague bearer and some heavily armed cultists rushed out.
The plague bearer managed to plague sword murder one of my 2 precious veteran that was clothed in those so good big devastator armor and a demonette apparently contaminated one of my a scout into a plague corrupted scout that happily joined them to try to kill my troops.

Lots of bullets were flying and we managed to kill all that filth.
Though my other precious veteran got a grenade in the face and .. survived (ah good armor, good) , but after the mission he was going to be out to the infirmary for a long while.

Despite the win, to my annoyance the devastator armor of the dead veteran wasn't brought back, damn those things were so good and it will take a while to get another as the searches takes so long to get the enemy bodies available to "manufacture" in exchange of honor points to get some good stuff.

As nearly everyone was wounded, i had no choice but to request more weak newbie to join, and additionally build another living quarter as people are wounded a lot in that game (when they don't just die), we need a bigger cannon fodder pool.

After the arrival of the new guys, another alert ! an imperial guard camp was under assault, we had to react and i sent the unfortunate rookies marines to location.
The drop pods landed and killed no enemies sadly.

So after deploying, i was checking the street and saw that i should have probably ran away immediately, big red flying sword demons, a barely clothed woman khorne devotee  and several of those guys rushing at my scouts while screaming with  their murder axes ready

Oh and that guy was also flying around with murder claws ready too

We started opening fire and launching grenades, the barely clothed woman khorne devotee was killed in a singly shot, while those heavy armored khrone berserkers were laughing at our bullets and explosions, lesson to learn : wearing good armor is a damned good idea.

On the enemy turns, the berserkers and flying claw guy axe and claw murdered all my rookies and scouts, lesson to learn : wearing crappy armor isn't going to help.

At least i still have my veteran and his good armor still alive in the infirmary, but man the memoria listingl is starting to get very long :D

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: February 13, 2021, 09:40:22 am »

Something i learned about the wh40k mod that could be helpful :
The scout armor you have by default does not prevent your troops from dying super fast to enemy grenades (and the AI loves to use grenades), they protect only slightly bit from bolters, they're much better in stats than guardsmen armor but those grenades will kill your troops incredibly easily.

Now the fun will really starts when you finally get some space marine real armor, you will get 2 of them after researching one of the starting strategy. Make sure to not have the wearer dying as the armor is lost with him.

After that you'll need to research how to manufacture them.

But there's a problem, manufacturing armor (out of the researches topics) require adamantium component.
And to access adamantium component you must :
- beat a landed/crashed ship mission (good luck if it's one filled with chaos space marines, they don't have crap scout armor so they'l laugh a lot at your weapons, while shooting rockets and lobbing grenade to kill your rookies), the only source of adamantium component that seems to be at first, and ships in wh40k seems to be rarer than in normal xcom or xpiratez.
- once you got your hand in that kind of mission and completed it successfully, research the adamantium component to unlock it in the purchase menu
- but don't think all is ok, after unlocking it in the purchase menu you'll find that ... there is no adamantium component to purchase !

To finally be able to buy them, you will need to
- build a new base
- you must choose as the 1st building a "Land Claim" , if you choose the other one  you will then build an underground base (like your first base) , locking you out from several facilities that can only be built on the surface.
- then you must build the huge 4x4 tiles  "Trade Outpost" building (so make sure to not place the "land claim" in the center or you'll never be able to build that trading outpost)
Once the trade outpost is completed, you can finally purchase the very expensive adamantium component, then transfer it to your primary base with its workshops (you'll need to transfer from that 2nd base because you can only build your workshops in the underground bases).

Took me a while to figure out that, oh and it takes a lot of adamantium component to build a single good space marine armor, so make sure to have lot of money.

And you'll be very happy to finally have your hand on space marine armor, because it means your marines will not die so fast to grenade anymore (and will take a lot of bolters in the face) and those chaos marines and their strong armor will not laugh as much anymore.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: February 13, 2021, 12:10:06 pm »

Do the Traitor Imperial Guard transports have adamantium components?
Can I used salvaged adamantium components?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: February 13, 2021, 01:28:25 pm »

The noticable time i am 100% certain i found adamantium component is in landed/crashed ufo i managed to catch a few and everytime the material was in, i don't remember if i noticed any in the normal and terror missions involving traitor imperial guards.
In cultists ritual missions there's none for sure, i had enough of those with nothing worth keeping out of it (at least out of the corpses for honor badge manufacturing)

You can use salvaged material, but there are so few of it in comparison to how much you need to manufacture an armor that you really want to establish the trade outpost in order to buy more.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: February 13, 2021, 03:03:26 pm »

Traitor guard chimeras do provide trace amounts of adamantium (at least, if they aren't melted away).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: February 14, 2021, 04:58:15 am »

I remember my first crashed ship filled with khorne berserkers, i only had those rookies with their paper thin scout armor and their bolters.
Despite non stop firing, they couldn't kill a single of those maniacs with their strong armor, while said maniac were screaming and sprinting and murdering all my scouts.

A couple of months later, another khorne berskerers ship crashed (after shooting at it of course).
This time things were different, most of my space marines were now wearing tactical and devastator armor, and also had much better shooting skills.
And for some reasons the maniacs were only 4 in number.

Sweet sweet revenge.

Not too long after that, we got some unexpected news
Oh this is a first for me, ah good memories of the old dos game, time to make a use of my space marines, i still have several of my guys in scout armor, but hopefully the guys with their tactical and devastator armor will be able to keep them alive.

The drop pods landed in a big hangar and after getting out and entering the thing we noticed this was infested with orks and gretchins

Orks are very resilient , good idea to have several of my marines coming with strong heavy bolters

We came and conquered, but unfortunately this is not a normal mission, it's one of those 2 steps missions i don't like (meaning you can't reinforce or refill ammo or heal or anything, i hate those missions)

So we continued the assault
[/spoiler]

But we met the worst enemy of the space marines : the grenade , and bad luck when it comes to damage calculation (as in openxcom damage can be very random )
Damn, we lost a good armor, oh and a probably good marine, but the armor loss is the worst as replacing it is going to be costly again, super annoying as our money is now low (all those adamantium components were  super expansive).

Fortunately we managed to clear the whole thing

wounds are also super annoying in the wh40k mod, there is no medkit to take with the space marines (or at least i have not yet found the research for it), so a wounded soldier will eventually fall unconscious and die after a while. You can make an apothecary armor though, so you get a field medic with an armor that is +/- as strong as the tactical/devastator one, but again it's costly and needs researches, so until you can field a marine in apothecary armor you'll notice the other half of your losses than aren't to grenades will be to untreated wounds.

Another annoyance i have is most of the items (ammo, grenades) are 1x2 tiles , and a lot of equipment slots are 2x1 tiles in the inventory , but still in OXCE you can't rotate those damned 1x2 items so you're stuck with lots of empty slots and not that much equipment carried.

Something frustating is that i lose equipement sometime in a mission, with no obvious reason so i am forced to buy again tons of those so my troops can get their weapons and ammo.
When i lose mission i can understand but so far i lose (and it's a lot, not just a mag or a weapon) after a few successfull missions and i have no idea why it is happening.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 05:01:09 am by Robsoie »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: February 14, 2021, 07:32:12 am »

Something frustating is that i lose equipement sometime in a mission, with no obvious reason so i am forced to buy again tons of those so my troops can get their weapons and ammo.
When i lose mission i can understand but so far i lose (and it's a lot, not just a mag or a weapon) after a few successfull missions and i have no idea why it is happening.
Maybe it's from the drop pods' explosive start.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: February 14, 2021, 09:47:21 am »

That could be it, it's very costly as every time you sell enough loot to get money for buying new stuff -> you lose so much equipment in a mission for no obvious reason that you have to rebuy and get you back to low money.

I hope one day i'll manage to find which research will trigger a transporter replacement to get rid of those equipment destroying pods, but i'm several months in and the only better ship i could research is an improved stormhawk , it's only a fighter.

Anyways a terror mission popped up, some kind of facility with people murdered by lots of khorne troops, flying and walking sword firey demons, berserkers and a flying khorne guy.

Would it had been early game i would have just took off immediately, my troops would have stood no chance (as those khornes guys have very good strong armor), but i wanted to put a test to my better equipped troops.
Unfortunately it wasn't that better as while we initially managed to crush some berserkers, the biggest enemy weapon of the game showed up  : the "grenade", the enemy spammed them and destroyed that easily nearly all of my still scout armored marines.

With so much of the scouts lost, it was a lot of firepower (and grenade lobbing) potential lost, the scouts were also good meat shield to my protect my precious expensive good armor best space marines

Allowing then a flying red demon to assault one of my devastator space marine and murder him in a single sword shot, while a berseker managed to run to one of my tactical space marines and kills him in a few axes strikes in his face.

What i didn't expected was my apothecary (i had enough of losing people to untreated wound so i invested a lot in adamantium to manage to manufacture an apothecary armor) , their inventory slots is very lacking (and their "healing weapon" takes a hand), so i gave her a chainsword.

And wow, she chainsword murdered the flying demon and the berserker that just killed my precious expensive armors veterans , as both were close to her location, she didn't had to walk much (and sword strikes does not take much action point).

She probably won us the day

Leading to some positive month

Oh and i guess this counted a lot more than i thought as she's the first of my troops to be promoted to "Hero" rank

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: February 14, 2021, 03:01:58 pm »

Which path did you chose for your space marines?  The Valkyrie is a pretty early unlock if you don't start with it.  It's basically your standard X-Com troop transport.

Servitors can patch up your marines and patch armor.  But they can't fight and take up a slot that could be a Marine.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: February 14, 2021, 03:23:03 pm »

wounds are also super annoying in the wh40k mod, there is no medkit to take with the space marines
Have you tried taking a servitor into battle? It's one less marine, but the ability to patch your guys up is probably more valuable.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: February 15, 2021, 03:40:00 am »

Which path did you chose for your space marines?  The Valkyrie is a pretty early unlock if you don't start with it.  It's basically your standard X-Com troop transport.

Servitors can patch up your marines and patch armor.  But they can't fight and take up a slot that could be a Marine.
wounds are also super annoying in the wh40k mod, there is no medkit to take with the space marines
Have you tried taking a servitor into battle? It's one less marine, but the ability to patch your guys up is probably more valuable.

I had no idea servitors could heal, the description mention repairing allied units, so i thought repairing means it was only for tank type of units (if the game has any of them)
Lost so many marines when i could have just added a couple of servitor in those pods, damn :D

How could i miss the valkyrie, it's right there in the codex and in the purchase list.
Thanks for pointing to this, goodbye drop pods, too bad valkyries are much slower (drop pods are super fast to reach any mission location), but if it can save my equipment, it will probably repay itself after a few mission.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 152