Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 225268 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1740 on: November 30, 2021, 02:38:05 pm »

Go figure. I load m2.2 onto my laptop for use while traveling with data caps and an update drops the next day.  ::)

Is Thebian Hive the one in central Africa too? That's my usual start since it gives coverage over land for all but the largest set of radars.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 04:18:46 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: November 30, 2021, 04:16:19 pm »

It kinda feels like there may be some spots on the map where there's no bonuses at all. I ran 2 games with bases in the southwesternmost reaches of Thebes (ie in central Africa, but not in Central Africa) from start to Jun or July not doing any missions and just researching, and I never found a secret door before the nations finally got sick of me doing nothing. Wrong version.

If you want a base in the center of Africa, Thebes' southwestern border is pretty central so you can get a centralized location with all those start bonuses, yeah.

If you'd rather have a foot in Europe, though, there's parts of the Iberian Peninsula where you'll get European region bonuses but Theban national ones.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 06:28:28 pm by E. Albright »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: November 30, 2021, 04:22:21 pm »

Go figure. I load m2.2 onto my laptop for use while traveling with data caps and an update drops the next day.  ::)

Is Thebian Hive the one in central Africa too? That's my usual start since it gives coverage over land for all but the largest set of radars.

Yeah, Thebes is in N Africa. Overall it seems like the easiest start, initial infamy malus aside.

Iron Tribe sounds interesting, though I'm still dubious just how useful aircraft that slow really can be for intercepting - and the 14mm chainguns can't dent Ninja APCs.

I have a decently far along save already though, so won't be spinning up a new one quite yet.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: November 30, 2021, 05:03:09 pm »

The RNG has a nasty sense of humor. Rushing through the early game to see what different regions give has given me more free heroes, damsels, freaks, and young ubers per soon-to-be-abandoned game than I've ever seen in my actual playthroughs. The last one I did gave me a damsel plus these two beasts in the first two months:

Spoiler: Heroic taunting (click to show/hide)

(I'm not even remotely tempted to keep them, b/c the base is in Red Revolution which is an awful position, but even by cruel RNG standards this felt mean...)

----

So here's a question: when y'all say Theban Hive, where precisely do you mean? Right on the coast? Right on the city? I only got 10xSeagull Missiles at the following location: Wrong version.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 07:19:21 pm by E. Albright »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: November 30, 2021, 05:39:51 pm »

So here's a question: when y'all say Theban Hive, where precisely do you mean? Right on the coast? Right on the city? I only got 10xSeagull Missiles at the following location:
[E]: Looks like Australia/Death Realms starts w/Power Armor Parts, a Vibro-Sword, and a Raygun + 4 power packs.
Japan/Fuso gave 10xMedical Supplies, as did South Africa/Rogue Fields and Russia/Eurasian Autonomy.

Are you sure you're on the right version, M3.1.1? Japan gives some swords and knives. Australia gives animal parts plus the 20 explosive cannonballs from Oceania. You should see the region bonuses very quickly, and the government bonuses around day 4.
I've found secret doors in old versions, so I don't expect that they're linked to starting location.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: November 30, 2021, 05:50:52 pm »

OMFG. I've been playing the wrong version, yeah. I went back to my old version to check some settings and then didn't switch to the new version before spending a couple hours testing things. *hangs head in shame*

I've now wasted A LOT of time testing starting positions for a version where starting positions mean nothing...

----

All told, I'd say the most interesting-looking from my POV are gonna be Thebes (surprise, I know), Turan, and Romanica, in that order. I do find myself with a deranged desire to do Antarctica now, though...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 07:17:59 pm by E. Albright »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: November 30, 2021, 10:55:14 pm »

Here's a compendium compiled from someone on the discord - will spoiler both for size and spoilering (and and awkward format):

Spoiler: Region (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nation (click to show/hide)

As you can see, some interesting potential starts but also some definite stinkers / challenge modes.

Spoiler: A few thoughts (click to show/hide)

Lastly, according to the discord chatter there is now a more brutal version of cold weather to look out for, so the new outfit (and a few of the new starts) make a bit more sense for survivability early on.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 01:01:23 am by Dostoevsky »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: November 30, 2021, 11:01:06 pm »

Oh great.  Because cold mechanics were already so fun.
...Maybe it's a good reason to pay attention and bundle up.

I sorta wonder what my classic start, corpsica Corsica, would be. 
Probably Europe, nationless.  I guess I'll find out soon.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: December 01, 2021, 05:39:19 pm »

As a permadeath-only player who is getting pretty bored with the same old start, this sounds somewhat promising.

One potentially true criticism  i read  on the x-pirates forum about the mod in general that bothers me, is that in spite of the diversity of the tech tree there are only a few "true" paths that cope with the endgame.   If this is true, then I might switch to another mod. 

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: December 01, 2021, 05:53:17 pm »

If you get to the endgame before the next update, congrats.  Otherwise, probably not worth worrying about.  I'm usually pretty motivated to start over every few updates, and its a long game.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: December 01, 2021, 06:42:19 pm »

One potentially true criticism  i read  on the x-pirates forum about the mod in general that bothers me, is that in spite of the diversity of the tech tree there are only a few "true" paths that cope with the endgame.   If this is true, then I might switch to another mod.

Isn't that because there's only one actual endgame implemented right now? Regardless of how you do it (of which there's at least two that come to mind), you need to be able to research the top tier units of each major branch. Alternate planned(?) endgames, like the Shadow stuff, are way off on the to-do list.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: December 01, 2021, 07:29:39 pm »

From what i read in the xpiratez board ,it looks like since M1 release there's an increased time pressure that basically force you to rush some researches in order to avoid getting into a losing situation way earlier than in pre-M1 without ways to relax the time pressure with your actions.

If true, it then means the game does not allow you to take your time like in the past versions (something i appreciated as the time pressure was more relaxed than in default xcom).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 07:34:24 pm by Robsoie »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: December 01, 2021, 10:15:26 pm »

It's partly difficulty dependent, but the short version is that there's an active antagonist now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I play on difficulty 2 and I ultimately decided on debug-killing their first base after a certain thing happened, but that was before the most recent update.

Also worth noting that as of a few versions ago sale price is altered depending on difficulty, meaning that the economy is actually harder instead of easier as you go up in difficulty.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: December 02, 2021, 02:02:28 pm »

Thanks for the explanation, will be helpfull on my next play to see what i must do.

For people playing the latest wh40k mod for openxcom (version 030) , there are a few additional bugfixes :

- get the "Stormtalon_base.png" from there : https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6413.msg140560.html#msg140560
and put it in your
...OpenXCOM WH40K Directory\User\mods\40k\Resources\Stormtalon\IMPERIALF\

- get the "extraSprites_40k.rul"  from there : https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6413.msg141355.html#msg141355
and put it in your
...OpenXCOM WH40K Directory\User\mods\40k\Ruleset\

- get the "terrain_40k.rul"  from there : https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6413.msg142281.html#msg142281
and put it in your

- get the "startingConditions_40k.rul "  from there : https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6413.msg142343.html#msg142343
and put it in your

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: December 02, 2021, 02:10:38 pm »

Isn't that because there's only one actual endgame implemented right now? Regardless of how you do it (of which there's at least two that come to mind), you need to be able to research the top tier units of each major branch. Alternate planned(?) endgames, like the Shadow stuff, are way off on the to-do list.

There is indeed only one victory ending at the moment, though there are several storylines whose timing and completeness are partially RNG dependent (which may seem annoying on paper, but given how much content there is in practice more means that the arc of an individual campaign shifts depending on which factions end up more prominent).

Also the case that there are a few decision-sets that change the tech tree available, with the biggest being the codex choice. The 4 different colors are better-balanced than they used to be, with all 4 being viable in endgame (from what I've read, at least). The fifth choice, rejecting the codex outright, is intended as a challenge mode / failsafe if you sell a critical component that you start with - there are some exclusive bonuses from that path, but missing out on all codex tech makes it much harder overall.

That said, certain techs/choices are easier than others, but that's true in any game like this. And the new antagonists have some strategic and tactical assets that shake up some of the traditional tactics.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 152