Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 225276 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1755 on: December 02, 2021, 02:18:35 pm »

If you are going to try to Reject the Codex, you should now start in Blackmarch.  From what I can tell, you need a Gnome for that tech tree ASAP.
So its actually easier, in that regard.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: December 02, 2021, 02:21:26 pm »

The latest bugfix patch reportedly changes it so the gnome from Blackmarch is a soldier gnome instead of a prisoner gnome, though I thought the Reject option gave early access to gnome(s) already?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: December 02, 2021, 02:27:12 pm »

The latest bugfix patch reportedly changes it so the gnome from Blackmarch is a soldier gnome instead of a prisoner gnome, though I thought the Reject option gave early access to gnome(s) already?

Damn, Dioxine must have caught that!
The reject option gives an option for a random chance of early gnome access, from what I can tell.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: December 02, 2021, 02:46:21 pm »

Yes. You can trade a boot + 10 runt-hours for a Capitatory Tax plus 1/68 chance of a gnome.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: December 02, 2021, 03:44:07 pm »

Yes. You can trade a boot + 10 runt-hours for a Capitatory Tax plus 1/68 chance of a gnome.
So in 680 hours, you can get a gnome!I know that is not how statistics work.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: December 02, 2021, 03:53:05 pm »

Statistically, if you spend ~460h you'll have a 50% chance to get one. I wanna say you get 100 boots for rejecting the codices, so you *should* be able to turn one up w/o resorting to expeditions or mid-game gnome hunts. Still, that's a lot of Capitatory Taxes, too...

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: December 02, 2021, 04:27:32 pm »

On the other hand, unless I botched my math, you have a 22.7% chance of not getting one after all 100 boots and associated costs, which would be quite the kick in the teeth.

(And shouldn't that be 6800 hours, not 680? Almost ten runt-months. ._.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: December 02, 2021, 05:05:46 pm »

On the other hand, unless I botched my math, you have a 22.7% chance of not getting one after all 100 boots and associated costs, which would be quite the kick in the teeth.

(And shouldn't that be 6800 hours, not 680? Almost ten runt-months. ._.)
Uh, I said it wasn't how statistics work!Oops!  Yeah, I messed up fake Statistics.  Thanks for doing the math!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: December 02, 2021, 06:36:03 pm »

Aoi, yeah, ~22% of nothing but 100 CTaxes  :o

Re: time, if it's 10h per (which is what the HTML BootyPedia lists for Cinderella), it'd be 1000h to churn through all them boots. So a "mere" 1.5 runt-months...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 06:37:57 pm by E. Albright »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: December 02, 2021, 07:39:57 pm »

Uh. Wow. No wonder some of my stuff seemed messed up... I was checking my HTML BootyPedia for this and couldn't find the Cinderella Project, so I rebuilt my BootyPedia... and it went from about 8000kb to 13000kb. I wonder how old it actually was.  :o

How does the infamy penalty from the Capitulatory tax work anyways? -8 per unit, per month?
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: December 02, 2021, 08:05:40 pm »

This is kinda hilarious since IIRC the Sci-books are just one entry on the Gnome's massive give-one-free list, and their average research time is at least 6 brainer-days.  So mostly they give you lore or gnome-lore... rather inefficiently.  But they always MIGHT give something good, like a progress skip!

I always liked that mechanic since it gave me a reason to research scrubs for lore whenever possible.  I could convert a captive to cash or a slave, or I could improve my future odds of getting useful information off actual VIPs and gnomes.  It can be an interesting choice, particularly early on or when prisons are nearing full.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: December 02, 2021, 08:32:49 pm »

My labs look more like the Blackout CIA sites.  We research extracting more information from captives.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: December 03, 2021, 03:25:53 am »

This is kinda hilarious since IIRC the Sci-books are just one entry on the Gnome's massive give-one-free list, and their average research time is at least 6 brainer-days.  So mostly they give you lore or gnome-lore... rather inefficiently.  But they always MIGHT give something good, like a progress skip!

I had that happen back on M1... one of my very first Loknarr researches gave me a ~1% research (Shadowmasters, or something?) required to unlock the Menacing Hull's true form, so I ended up with the Scorpion in something like April of the first year. Then it lulled me into a false sense of security on my M2 game, where I was halfway through the third year and still didn't couldn't get it. (And somewhere around then the Ninjas basically turned the planet into a deathtrap, so I scrapped it.)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: December 03, 2021, 04:03:06 pm »

Uh. Wow. No wonder some of my stuff seemed messed up... I was checking my HTML BootyPedia for this and couldn't find the Cinderella Project, so I rebuilt my BootyPedia... and it went from about 8000kb to 13000kb. I wonder how old it actually was.  :o

How does the infamy penalty from the Capitulatory tax work anyways? -8 per unit, per month?

And what happens if I don't do Pogroms?  No dead mutants, no tax? Or something bad?

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: December 03, 2021, 04:32:52 pm »

There are two (or more than two, maybe?) types of Pogroms, and for each there's a notice in the mission description what infamy hit you'll get for skipping the mission.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not that the C taxes aren't that expensive to sell/pay, so something would have to go very wrong for you to end up with a net monetary loss in a pogrom.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 152