Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 224820 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1860 on: June 06, 2022, 12:11:22 am »

I have decided to skip this whole "changing up my weapons and tactics" nonsense in favor of waiting them out until I get RPGs. This genius strategy brilliantly paid off this run, as I didn't get a single ninja raid or even a noticeable impact on score from ninja activity.

Though I'm almost at year 2(? Whenever you get the message about the comet and whatnot) and only now actually unlocked my menace craft. All because of not finding a goddamn arc welder. Unlocked warehouse wars in the first month and did every one that spawned and went through plenty of landed/crashed ships yet it took this long to find the arc welder. Which I believe can only spawn in warehouse wars and some specific type of medium UFO. You could also get it for free from an engineer, if you felt like interrogating roughly 80 of them.

I just don't get the tech tree sometimes. It can be super hard to get a sense of whether or not you're lagging behind.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: June 06, 2022, 05:03:44 am »

It seems odd for anti-air guns to be so threatening. I mean, they're not even made for hitting things on the ground. Should be slow glass cannons at most and set dressing at least. I don't know what they look like in game but the operator in one of those things isn't usually very protected, so why would they have massive armor?

Anti Air weapons are pretty terrifying to infantry. They are lighter and faster to aim than heavier guns, their high rate of fire and usually explosive ammo means you can fire at a lot of targets quickly and because they are built to fire at a high angle means you aren't even safe on a rooftop. They also don't destroy the whole building the infantry was hiding in.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: June 07, 2022, 05:16:48 pm »

It had been a long time since last i played, after downloading the latest version of the 40K mod (inspired by the few missions i played of the recently gog freebie of Chaos Gate), i quickly got a terror mission filled with a mix of chaos traitors, big sworded flying demons and some chaos cultists assaulting some poor imperial guardsmen.

As my troops were still lacking in space marine armors (only 2 of them were given from researching the tactical doctrine, i gave those armors to the guys that had the highest accuracy) i decided to purchase a Valkyrie (as i remembered scout armored space marines are regularly wounded when using drop pods, and starting wounded is usually a very very bad idea without healing available around, as a servitor takes 1 fighting guy slot in the valkyrie).

To my surprise we had only 1 loss (though many wounded, including the 2 space marines) from a demon that hacked a poor scout from behind our lines (never saw that guy coming). There's even 1 of my scouts that managed to kill 3 chaos traitors (that are supposedly equal to space marines with their heavy armor) and a demon all by himself.
I was  much less impressed by one of the space marine that missed nearly all his shots with his heavy bolter.

Strong from that victory (the game wasn't nice in still giving me a negative score considering how well it went for the emperor's side) i sent the scout troops (the 2 space marines were still wounded so they couldn't help) to a mission that appeared : a traitor guardsmen training camp had been located.

In only a few turns, a rain of grenades landed on my troops from a few directions and killed them all. I forgot how the scout armors are as good as going naked when it comes to grenades and 40k is a grenade throwing heavy game, at least in the beginning with how weak everyone armor is.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 05:19:29 pm by Robsoie »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: June 08, 2022, 07:55:41 am »

In X-Piratez, I got one of those Goblin Zaxx missions to raid a Sirius temple without proper armor or weapons.

Seeing how my gals are far superior, I sent the Chocolate Bottle (to gain another point towards Hammerer commendation) and one other in Gym suits, supported by 4 bugeyes.

On winning (only the second gal was wounded), I made a surprising discovery. In spite of both gals being maxed out training-wise, after this mission, Chocolate Bottle gained 1 point each in TUs and Strength, having 101 and 81 base now.
Apparently Gym suit can allow training beyond maximal trainable values.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: June 10, 2022, 10:47:56 am »

In X-Piratez, I got one of those Goblin Zaxx missions to raid a Sirius temple without proper armor or weapons.

Seeing how my gals are far superior, I sent the Chocolate Bottle (to gain another point towards Hammerer commendation) and one other in Gym suits, supported by 4 bugeyes.

On winning (only the second gal was wounded), I made a surprising discovery. In spite of both gals being maxed out training-wise, after this mission, Chocolate Bottle gained 1 point each in TUs and Strength, having 101 and 81 base now.
Apparently Gym suit can allow training beyond maximal trainable values.
Nah, I think you can gain one point over maximum stats.  It has to do with rounding and such.
Or maybe we start the myth of Magical Gym Suits.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: June 10, 2022, 12:32:07 pm »

I knew that in basic X-COM, you could get as much as 3 points over maximum because when experience was attributed, it only checked if you are at max or higher already, not if you would be brought over max by this gain.

Since the gals involved in this mission had been at max for a long time now, this could not have been the case. But if there can be strange rounding that allows to gain one more point when already at max, I guess that explains it.

Regarding Ninja Castles, I made another attempt at destroying one. It failed, having slain 140 foes.
Bombard is great for clearing the outside, but terrible inside, as it does not have a clear line of fire. My next attempt will involve a Lightning Brusier and a Barrel of Nuke. Just as soon as I get enough sectoweed to make a Green Lighter suit to sacrifice a slave soldier to.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: June 20, 2022, 03:02:12 pm »

So. . I found the ninja base:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My base is named Underlake, if you couldn't tell. oh god

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: June 22, 2022, 10:08:16 am »

Decided to install the Rosigma expansion/mod for the openxcom 40K mod as from what i read it has a huge truckload of content for more enemy variations , weapons, researches, etc ... and other content.

And it also has something that in the middile of the massive list of content immediately made me willing to give this mod a try :
reduced grenade spam
And as bonus
, changes in sight ranges and engagement ranges to make more weapons appealing.
As these would fix my biggest annoyances (especially the grenade spam that makes the game much less fun) with the 40K mod that always make me stop playing it after a while.

After a quick start and researching the Tactical strategy doctrine for my space marines, i immediately gave the 2 SM armor that the requisition sent my ways to the 2 guys with the highest TU (as before i usually gave one to the best accuracy, but always ended with accurate but less mobiles warriors).
Then purchased Drop Pods instead of a Valkyrie as i did in a previous run, as the Drop Pods allows for larger area to entry the map, allowing to shoot more things without having to move out of a ship. Danger is that i remember my scouts (space marines that do not yet have a SM armor) could sometime get hurt from the drop pods landing explosions.

Anyways, after shooting 2 small ships with my Stormtalons, i was being unable to assault them on ground because i noticed it was taking 8 days for my newly arrived drop pods to be fueled, by the time they were ready the wrecks had already disappeared.
It was then a large enemy ship appeared, i sent a Stormtalon to check it from close, then called it back as no way this big thing would go down before my flying pea shooters in a stand off.
The large ship landed for whatever heretic purpose it had.
I decided to send the drop pods, they're fast enough to reach target before the thing take off again.

The assault started at night, and the large enemy ship turned out to filled with various type of ugly Nurgle troops.
Some human-like hooded figures labelled "Imperials" ( huh ?) where amongst them, but shooting them down as the traitors they were spawned a nurgle guy in their place.
Said Nurgle guys that must be shot fast because they also explode on death.

Fortunately my troops did a fantastic work and utterly annihilated any enemies coming from the ship and the surrounding, the nurgle guys explosions also helped.
But while my 2 armored space marines were taking out the nurgle soldiers left in the ship, the scouts waiting outside got a very nasty surprise, when

Damn, after such a brillant ship assault the scout had forgot the fight wasn't yet won.

Nurgle may have got one of my scout, but none of his devotees survived that day, lil vomit guy was filled with bolter bullets quickly after that.

Very happy still for this large ship assault victory,

Too bad you can't move the Rhinos during a mission to move closer to targets to help their accuracy, because their guns are rather amazing, they destroyed a hill .
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 10:56:14 am by Robsoie »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: June 22, 2022, 01:09:40 pm »

I bet that was a heretical hill!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: June 22, 2022, 02:34:05 pm »

Too bad you can't move the Rhinos during a mission to move closer to targets to help their accuracy, because their guns are rather amazing, they destroyed a hill .

Mechanically speaking, how does that work out? Do you have to shave it down, layer by layer, or is only the upper surface solid, so once you break it, it's open all the way to ground level?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: June 23, 2022, 04:33:21 am »

I think it destroy every single block it hits but i have not gone out of my way to test if it can only destroy surface blocks or if you can litterally dig tunnels with it (as my priority was to destroy all the enemies that were climbing over that hill).
Something to test for the next time i deploy the Rhinos.

The Rosigma mod has lowered the grenade range, that's how they put an end to that silly grenade spam everywhere, as now you can have guns shooting on both sides instead of grenade, then grenade, and more grenade all the time.

But be warned no grenade spam does not mean you or the enemy are unable to throw a grenade. So continue to avoid to group barely protected troops all together if there are enemies close enough to grenade them to oblivion.

edit : 2nd month of the game and i spotted a chaos base, that's going to be a trainwreck considering the lack of space marine armor and how few researches have been made ...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 04:46:19 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: June 24, 2022, 06:33:01 am »

Noticed this mod "UNEXCOM" that got updated a couple of week ago and that is a take on the classic xcom but set in 1972, in the post-vitetnam cold war era with more realistic equipment and items appropriate to said era.
Researches seems also fitting, as early game you're trying to get support of the various major power and try to get running on your own.

https://openxcom.mod.io/unexcom
For the mission i got (a terrorist attack on a town), it feels very good with its own atmosphere.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: June 25, 2022, 08:49:59 am »

ROSGIMA really expand a lot the 40K mod, so many variation of enemies i have a hard time sometime to figure out the order of threats i needed to deal with as i'm no 40K expert, but i guess for a 40K fan it must feels amazing. And the lower grenade throw range really make the game playing much better with the many type of guns instead of ending being only  constant grenade spam.
Some of the enemies can summon more enemies apparently, so it's a good idea to learn which guys can do that, there are already enough targets running around.

Recently detected a Webway with some Eldars around , as if i was not already having a hard time dealing with the Khornates, the Tyranids (got some hostile Arbites that were infested by them), the Nurglite, Tazneechithingies  and the various traitors types of enemies roaming around (i have not yet run into Nekrons).

So space elves it was, i sent immediately a diplomatic delegation to explain to them  why now was really not the time for Eldar to try to contact us, we already have our hands full.

4 space marines scouts lost their lives, 2 times they got shot from behind by a friend (what are they teaching them in space marine schools, really) and 2 were annihilated by some of the eldar anti grav canon platforms.

The biggest difficulty i have with the mod is how super expensive losses are (at least when playing the space marines as you can play many other things).
- scout armor are free and comes directly with a recently purchased space marine, ok but said scout space marine is expensive to buy (nearly worth as much as buying 8 or 9 guardsmen) and that scout armor does not seem any better than going naked or anything guardsmen wear.
- you need lots of adamantium to manufacture a single MK7 space marine or apothecary armor and said adamantium can't be purchased (until a long while , as researches takes a long time in 40k) and only found on battlefield/ships and if you're unlucky and lose a precious MK7 armored space marine, the armor is ... gone forever.
- missions/ships are populated by a lot of enemies, more enemies than you usually encounter in an xcom battle, and remember how your scouts can die very fast, and how expensive it is to replace them, yeah you will lose lot of troopers by mission and it will takes tons of money to replace them.
- so far my wounded have always been very wounded, i mean most of them are out of action for nearly 2 months of ingame time, that's a huge lot and so far i don't have a way (or missed it) to lower their recovery.

Yeah basically you're in a very though time to maintain a combat ready group, sometime i even have to escape some missions only because my losses in troops were starting to get a bit too high (and must save precious MK7 armors), that seems a bit counter productive for complete battle fanatics like space marines, but unless you like having nearly no ready troop when there's a mission, you'll need to escape when things are going to be too costly.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: June 28, 2022, 12:36:22 pm »

Yeah, BeagleRush streaming the 40k mod got me to try it out.

I'm going with a Sisters of Battle run. Which is pretty good. They're in between space marines and guard, and can hire guard as supplement troops. So I use guard to act as medics/ammo carriers and the Sisters for most actual combat.

They have power armor of some sort as a standard, and can take a few hits usually, so my actual losses have been pretty low so far. But even 2-3 a battle adds up a good bit considering they're only a little less expensive than space marines from the sound of it.

Not too far along with it yet, but it's been interesting figuring everything out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: June 28, 2022, 02:00:49 pm »

Got into a nurgle hell.
A guardsmen massacre mission popped up, that forced me (it's equivalent to a terror mission of oldxcom , so it's very costly in negative points if you skip it) to send my Rhinos filled with Scouts Space Marines (my armored Space Marines are in their drop pods, but it was taking too long to refuel them) , the bad of the Rhino in comparison to the Drop Pods is that you still need to get out of them (they come in 2) from the back, so depending on the battlefield you may waste several action point to get into firing position but good of the Rhino is that both vehicles have a nice big machine gun (though only +/- 20% of accuracy sadly).
Just be carefull to not get those guns destroyed by letting enemies too close.

Anyways, after disembarking my troops from the Rhinos i noticed there were a lot of Nurgle cultist ladies along those big ugly green nurgle demons.
The problem with those nurgle weaponry is that they shoot and summon additional demons (of the small kind but i could swear they can act on the same turn as they were summoned, a disaster when they spawn right next to your troops) .

But it wasn't really the worst, the worst is that every of the nurgle troops have higher HP than anyone else, so they take more time to kill. And those many "nurgle ladies"  , after you finally manage to take one down, suprise transform and you get another high HP nurgle lady that seems to be even more threatening.
So basicaly when facing a nurgle army from the Rosigma expansion, be prepared for :
- their troops have more HP
- their troops weapon can (and so will) summon additional troops on the impact location
- half of their troops will transform into another trooper when dying, trooper you will also need to kill.

And it's ... hard to deal with (i think i'm on the 3rd or 4th month only) :D

Researches are very slow in comparison to other openxcom mod, so it's recommended to focus your scientists into what you need instead of dividing them evenly with many researches, they will take forever to complete if you have only a few guys assigned to them.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 03:03:53 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 152