Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 224791 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #2160 on: January 25, 2023, 08:49:35 am »

Marsec Viper Fighter just flies around the globe from time to time. You'll have a hard time shooting it down without a proper fighter of your own though. It might be better for you to catch Guild Engineers to get the data on it from them.

As for missiles, I've been able to weather them using base defences. But I noticed that they still have to find your base before they send one, so you can just shoot down the scout crafts. Perhaps the data pad is in the scouts?
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: January 25, 2023, 11:00:14 am »

Items are nowhere to be seen, i meant. Fighter is flying around pretty frequently. And i need it for implosion bomb launcher, which it drops, i have been told. Tried looting the scout for datapad once, but if it is there, it is random.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:44:45 pm by MCreeper »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: January 25, 2023, 11:34:56 am »

if i remember well, shooting an UFO to loot it isn't the best way as a crash landed UFO has a part of the loot destroyed.
It may be better to shadow it and assault when it lands to get its full loot.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: January 25, 2023, 01:47:02 pm »

if i remember well, shooting an UFO to loot it isn't the best way as a crash landed UFO has a part of the loot destroyed.
It may be better to shadow it and assault when it lands to get its full loot.

Correct. Although some ships will also just fly off into space instead of landing, so... good luck, I guess?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: January 25, 2023, 01:47:34 pm »

Marsec Viper Fighers and Technocracy HK-117 do not land on their own though.
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: January 25, 2023, 04:44:08 pm »

That's a problem then as it means part of their loot will always be destroyed, making it then that you really need some luck for the item you need to not be included in the destroyed loot.
To bad it's not (yet ?) possible to assault a UFO while still flying, re-enacting in the air what the pirates were doing on the sea.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: January 25, 2023, 07:33:19 pm »

That sounds incredibly deadly and on brand.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: January 26, 2023, 10:26:50 am »

That's a problem then as it means part of their loot will always be destroyed, making it then that you really need some luck for the item you need to not be included in the destroyed loot.
To bad it's not (yet ?) possible to assault a UFO while still flying, re-enacting in the air what the pirates were doing on the sea.
There is a craft system known as tractor beam. It decreases the opponent's speed. If enough tractor beams are used to drop opponent's speed to 0, the opponent is forced to land.

Unfortunately, this craft system is gated beyond the research that MCreeper is missing.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: January 26, 2023, 10:52:41 am »

Oh that's a nice feature, never reached the part of xpiratez in which you get a tractor beam.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: January 26, 2023, 03:22:49 pm »

Why use a high tech tractor beam when gals can lean out of their flying bus and yeet anchors on chains at the enemy to stop them instead? Forcing ships to land should totally be an option at lower tech. :p
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: January 26, 2023, 04:30:46 pm »

Throwing anchors from the Bonaventura windows into a target aircraft to stop it, then the gals opening the doors and swinging from ropes into the other ship, all at high altitude to assault it ?
That sounds completely within the atmosphere of the game, wish i had the coding ability to make that happen :D

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: January 26, 2023, 04:54:11 pm »

The other thing like that I could see is a specialized craft with a single weapon that either hits & ends interception or misses and ends interception, and then you have a very limited time frame to capture the ship on a map that's nothing but the ship with a very small party. A boarding torpedo, basically. Again, it would take some significant coding but it seems like it'd be in character.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: January 28, 2023, 09:19:09 am »

Noticed that XPiratez got a few bugfixes updates and the latest version of Xpiratez is then N3.1.3
https://www.moddb.com/mods/x-piratez/downloads/dioxine-xpiratez-n3

And in the bug report thread this could be useful while waiting for the next update
Playing on N3.1.3
Building the Thunderbird causes a crash due to the fixed Megachaingun being improperly defined in Piratez.rul. It's defined as "fixedWeapons: [STR_UAC_MEGACHAINGUN]" when it should be "fixedWeapons: [STR_UAC_MEGACHAINGUN_UC]".

The Thunderbird also seems to have a resource file improperly assigned in Piratez_Resources.rul. "- type: INTICON.PCK" has "Resources/Planes/Thunderbird_Dogfight.gif" assigned for both 232 and 243, which results in the minimised dogfight icon looking weird (no background). I think 232 should be "Resources/Planes/Thunderbird_Minimised.gif" instead, that gets it looking correct for me at least.

It does not appear possible to unlock the researches "STR_TRADERS_COM_KNOWHOW" (GUILDMASTER'S SECRETS), "STR_ACADEMY_COM_KNOWHOW" (ACADEMY PROVOST'S SECRETS) and "STR_MUTANT_ALLIANCE_LORE" in the game due to bugs in Piratez.rul. The Mutant Alliance Lore has needItem set to True which seems to prevent it from unlocking.

For 40K news , Rosigma 2.0B is in beta test, you can get the rolling release of it if you want to try :
https://github.com/BeatAroundTheBuscher/ROSIGMA/archive/refs/heads/main.zip
It requires the latest version of the 40K megamod :
https://openxcom.old.mod.io/40k

Spoiler: big changelog (click to show/hide)

There's a bunch of minimods for Rosigma/40K here :
https://openxcom.old.mod.io/minimods-collection-for-40k-and-rosigma

The BrutalAI fork of OXCE is really impressive at putting the player into a world of pain by giving an actual AI to the AI that can now move in squad , have tactical decision, be sure to give a try and all the Brutal AI features can be turned off in the options if you want to go back to the old "AI"
(note about the old AI lacking AI as described by the OXCE dev there  : https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6586.msg149240.html#msg149240   )
https://openxcom.old.mod.io/brutal-ai

Some megamods that rely on having much more enemies on missions to make them challenging (due to how inefficient the old AI was in openxcom) may become simply impossibly hard.
In the case of 40K+Rosigma in the link to the bunch of minimod up there , there's one to reduce the amount of enemies by mission specially designed for Brutal AI usage.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 09:21:11 am by Robsoie »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: January 28, 2023, 12:20:39 pm »

And while we're at it, there's a new version of X-Com Files too. Not seeing anything revolutionary in it, but there is a solid amount of content and some good tweaks.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: February 04, 2023, 07:22:15 am »

stable release version of Rosigma 2.0B mega expansion is available now (you'll need the 40K mega mod version 0.34 )
https://openxcom.old.mod.io/rosigma
Spoiler: changelog (click to show/hide)

note if you want to download the beta/rolling release/development version instead of the stable ones (as Rosigma is getting more commits nearly daily), just get the github zip :
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 07:23:56 am by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 152