Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 151

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 215107 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #270 on: April 20, 2019, 06:36:46 pm »

Apparently those armored cars are supposed to not be very resistant to fire, but on a progrom test it survived a very lot of molotov.

Supply ships are still predictable and profitable, but hard coded to have 2-4 absolute asshats with legit MININUKE "mortars". So uh go at night and scout carefully, or be ready for *reaction fire* which makes blaster bombs look like molotovs. Wouldn't be piratez if it were a cake walk, heh...

The supply ships are also coded to explode at the end of turn 19 in a rather large blast zone.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 20, 2019, 06:44:54 pm »

Not sure about the armored car, but tanks and up have good concussion resistance, so unless you use something like hellerium rockets your chances of a quick kill are pretty slim.

I managed to kill the gouvernment tanks that came with the invasion force before the small launcher gals got anywhere, but those with emp ammo should be pretty good. Useless advice for the first pogrom, I know.

I am pretty sure the humanists never have armored cars though, bandits are the ones with the cars. Though things might have changed. I am trying to remember if the Spartans bring any terror units to base attacks, because they are on their way to one. Not the least defended one, it has my underwater team, but apart from these 5 or 6 gals just some Lokks and assorted animals. Maybe two bugeyes but they aren't trained and got nerfed anyway.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 20, 2019, 08:59:12 pm »

Does the amount of damage you cause in the barn assassination mission actually matter? I can't test it properly because I'm playing Ironman. I'm assuming the tiles drop invisible loot or something like that?
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 20, 2019, 09:09:00 pm »

The floors, and possibly the roof?  I always just tossed some molotovs or shot a flamethrower, which is completely pointless, it turns out.

I don't actually know the answer, sorry.  A couple of dynamite seem to work well though. 
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 20, 2019, 11:36:57 pm »

Apparently those armored cars are supposed to not be very resistant to fire, but on a progrom test it survived a very lot of molotov.

Anything that needs fire usually needs flamethrowers. They shoot eight shots a turn, and that damage really stacks up. If it took about 8 molotovs, you could have done it with one shot from a flamethrower.

Also, early-on, Assault Cannons are my answer to virtually every problem that flamers can't handle. They arc, the solid shot has some pretty hefty damage (80), and the explosive rounds are glorious(60 concussive, 5 AoE radius). That's usually the determining factor of whether I take the first progrom mission. Do I have my flamethrowers and explosive cannonballs yet? Then, you just snipe a few enemies, grab their weapons, and gtfo. Hopefully you get a grenade launcher or something.

There's way better weapons, but for early game reliability, those two are my go-to's. The flamers are expensive, but at least you can produce your own cannonballs fairly quickly. Then you've got fairly heavy scouts, backed with arcing fire support, and maybe a bit of melee and normal weapons to round it out.

Been a while since I started a playthrough, so I'll have to see what's changed.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 12:56:08 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 21, 2019, 03:24:53 am »

Does the amount of damage you cause in the barn assassination mission actually matter? I can't test it properly because I'm playing Ironman. I'm assuming the tiles drop invisible loot or something like that?

It does matter. You get more tokens for destroying the barn completly/mostly than for just doing some token amount of damage. And it scales with how much damage you do.

Once I have them I use a satchel charge in the middle of the barn, that destroys it almost completly.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 21, 2019, 04:04:07 am »

Man, I've never seen an armoured car or tank, and I think I'm pretty far in at this point. Hopefully they aren't needed for any critical research...
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 21, 2019, 05:00:58 am »

Pretty sure they are not. But you can rebuild and use them (as armor) and you need the research for your own cyberdiscs as well. You probably looted a couple of those.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 21, 2019, 05:07:39 am »

The only non-organic enemy I've seen so far are the little drones the Academy uses. I'm in 2602 currently.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 21, 2019, 06:21:48 am »

So E511 IS hellerium? I noted vulnerability to anti-E511 on zombies and cryssalids ad thought it is some (diffirent) kind of space zombie uranium. Now waiting for first space mission, he-he.
Man, I've never seen an armoured car or tank, and I think I'm pretty far in at this point. Hopefully they aren't needed for any critical research...
I say you are lucky, because you don't get bazillion researches about making your own armored car with all weapons that can be stuffed in armored car, out of two broken armored cars. Why i would want to have one squishy bulky laser armored car if i can have four girls in power armor instead? Same with ciberdiscs - quite likely, ordinary units are just tankier at this point.  :P Motorbike looks great, though. Trouble is, i have never had three car parts needed to begin with.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 06:37:21 am by MCreeper »

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 21, 2019, 07:50:29 am »

Some of the encounters are just silly with how crazy they get. I once got a Guild tower mission in a terrain with red trees and scorching hot weather. After I landed the ground started spontaneously exploding into gas that caused high stun/morale damage, filling every outside tile in a few turns. None of the enemies had resistance, so I ended up winning it fast and getting a lot of captives.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 21, 2019, 08:03:08 am »

There is a contact that let's you buy tank and car parts.
And you might want them on you (secondary) bases as defence units with a punch.

Now that I have a transport with 24 crew I can't even fill that most of the time, so I have a mutated reaper and a boozeosaur with me.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 21, 2019, 04:52:22 pm »

In early november of year three, disaster has struck - i, somehow, has actually run out of things to research (partially due to me continously ignoring mercenary base - beating three shielded plasma tanks is rather troublesome). So i actually got to researching govt\humanist\mutant alliance files. Those, and other random things run out around mid december. Then i did baseline ninja "help lokknarrs" mission and caught five ninjas, one of which had an arm wrestling match with one of her captors and turned into "young uber", which i researched.
Well, this will last for a while.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Then i realized that "not enough workspace available" attempt at obtaining codex gived me means "clean up damn production orders". Then fourth year rolled over and greeted me with star god(?) attack on my base.
EDIT: Shielded uber lazer wielding sectopod look alike is damn amazing to fight. How much recoilless rifle shots in a row is enough to kill it?
There is a contact that let's you buy tank and car parts.
And you might want them on you (secondary) bases as defence units with a punch.

Now that I have a transport with 24 crew I can't even fill that most of the time, so I have a mutated reaper and a boozeosaur with me.

Got this one, forgot to put lokknarr in a tank begore it was too late.  >:(
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 06:07:17 pm by MCreeper »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 22, 2019, 03:37:01 am »

The recoilless rifle might not be enough to deal with the sectopod. But by year 3 you should have some oher toys. EMP is pretty effective because it ignores 75% of enemy armor, so use a small launcher with emp bombs. Or just get rid of the armor by repeatedly hitting it with armor stripping weapons like chem ammo, plasma or guns that have at least 60 piercing damage. Preferably always hit it on the same facing, sides and back are not as thickly armored (I think, it has been a while since I fought sectopods, that was before the rebalance and before they had shields).

Shields themselves are best dealt with with shotguns, because they have little to no resistance, and the raw damage output of shotties ist the best.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 22, 2019, 11:54:42 am »

But by year 3 you should have some oher toys. EMP is pretty effective because it ignores 75% of enemy armor, so use a small launcher with emp bombs.
EMP? What EMP?  :o Where i was supposed to get one?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 151