Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 224621 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #285 on: April 22, 2019, 12:17:56 pm »

You can press A or Q in the geoscape then click on research topic and type EMP Grenade to see the requirement, it's a rather very long list as each of the requirement "depends on" have their own previous requirements to be all researched (or have their own sub requirement to also be researched).

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 22, 2019, 01:11:23 pm »

Love me some X-com, x-Piratez looks sweet. Is there a short earlygame startup guide, since this seems quite different from the breakneck suicide squads hiding behind tanks of the original?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 22, 2019, 01:12:41 pm »

You can press A or Q in the geoscape then click on research topic and type EMP Grenade to see the requirement, it's a rather very long list as each of the requirement "depends on" have their own previous requirements to be all researched (or have their own sub requirement to also be researched).
I hate to be obnoxious, but any additional requirements for this? Window is empty, search gives nothing at all, yada yada. At least it gave percentage of researches completed - 34%. I have thought i'm about 2\3 trough this, but apparently it's half at most.
Love me some X-com, x-Piratez looks sweet. Is there a short earlygame startup guide, since this seems quite different from the breakneck suicide squads hiding behind tanks of the original?
I would really like you to tell you everything about that, but i don't remember the beginning already, so advice from CO that would be useful for me - captured people can be researched multiple times, so research them until you can't. Even if they seemingly don't give you anything useful, i swear this research tree is axe-crazy. Same with "Fund expedition" thing you get around the beginning (don't mistake with transport) - once you get money for that, spam it and research it.
Yeah, i did really sold all prisoners after researching them once at first, hence sudden ninja tech breaktrough.
And yeah, being one-shotted is more exception than the rule, so medic thingies are actually useful from beginning to, supposedly, the end.  :P
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 01:28:26 pm by MCreeper »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 22, 2019, 01:51:06 pm »

The game itself has a lot of information in the Bootypedia about controls.

I think an important thing to note is the important of captives and the validity of melee combat. A lot of your research and money comes from interrogating, selling, robbing or enslaving captives you take, of which generally the easiest way to obtain is run up and batter unconscious with Daze or Electricity-type weapons like the handle, stunprod and cattle prod. Most early firearms are pretty trash, to be honest, so for tough enemies a strong gal with a sledgehammer or axe can often do a lot better.

Units trying to shoot while adjacent to the enemy have to beat the enemy's evasion score, or their shot will be diverted. It's easier to hit things - melee and adjacent shooting - from behind, as that halves the evasion score of a unit. So running up next to an enemy with a gal with good evasion is a valid but risky tactic, as chances are good the enemy won't be able to shoot her (or will just trying run back anyway).

Your starting gals are good, and it'll be a while before you can freely buy more gals, so if it comes down to killing a potential hostage or letting a gal die, kill the enemy. There will be other opportunities. You can get the ability to hire peasants early on... but they suck. They really suck.

Your Gals have better vision than baseline humans, so a lot of the time night missions will give you the advantage. For some enemies, though, like ratmen and reticulans, the opposite is true in that they have better NV than you.

You aren't penalised for not doing missions beyond the loss of potential score and rewards you could have got by going - so for pogroms, for instance, you can skip entirely until later in the game if you want.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 22, 2019, 02:09:02 pm »

I hate to be obnoxious, but any additional requirements for this? Window is empty, search gives nothing at all, yada yada. At least it gave percentage of researches completed - 34%. I have thought i'm about 2\3 trough this, but apparently it's half at most.
A little step by step to see where you're going wrong :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit : i think i see where it went wrong, you probably clicked on the "AYE" button instead of pressing Enter after entering the search words, probably a bug as it result indeed in no entry results.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 02:11:02 pm by Robsoie »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 22, 2019, 02:30:15 pm »

Yep, thanks. So i needed Diplomacy from menacing hull, technomancer examination (?) and broken academy medic who is, as google tells, apparently (almost) completely random medic that you need to capture, or "kidnap" for 2000000, which is another thing i don't have, so yep. I have really screwed up myself by selling menacing hull.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 22, 2019, 03:04:45 pm »

Oof, afraid so.  I think Dioxine indicated on Discord that OpenXCOM doesn't support the item being unsellable for some reason, but in my opinion it ought to have a $1 price tag in that case.

Academy Medics aren't too rare after the beginning, there's commonly one commanding experiment sites.  They have silvery personal armor making them a bit more resilient, but they'll still go down to normal attacks.  To "break" them involves um interrogation techniques, though, which...  *throws up hands* it's in the tech tree :P  It's really hard to say when various things are "supposed" to be researched, because a lot of it is random.  Either by what you encounter, or by getting lucky with the researches which "Give one free".

The option to kidnap them is definitely a mid-latish option though, Contacts: Mercenaries.  Apparently they'll capture targets for you, they just charge you a "Criminal scum" rate including a "If the Star Gods find out, we'll lose our charter" fee :P

In my current game I was unable to advance towards School Graduation because I encountered no Trade Guild bodyguards to get a sample of human power armor.  I only found it in late 2602, which eh...  isn't so bad really.  It kept me from advancing, but I still had plenty of side research in the meantime.

Oh but you should really save-edit your Menacing Hull back in, here's the instructions I wrote up:
Hm, I almost made a new thread since a lot has changed since 2016 advise-wise.  Maybe this is fine though.

The .sav files are cleartext and relatively easy to edit, though some of the string names are amusingly held-over from old versions.  Academy nurses are called STR_SECTOID_MEDIC, for example.

The line you need is
Code: [Select]
      STR_MENACING_HULL: 1in the item list of a base.  The list seems to be in alphabetical order for me, which I doubt matters.  But just in case, I'd do a search for "STR_MOLOTOV" and insert the line above it.  You'll be able to tell which base you're looking at by the number of molotovs.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 03:06:19 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 22, 2019, 03:45:38 pm »

Didn't i say i did? I just used it a little bit too late.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 22, 2019, 04:25:42 pm »

Are there actual usable instructions for getting and installing Open X-com? Main problem right now is battling Github's terrible UI, and trying to find out where they hide the "I just want the most recent version to use, not develop" button.

Edit: I should probably be concerned when sourcing and using a game from 25 years ago is the easy bit.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 04:29:50 pm by Iduno »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 22, 2019, 04:31:15 pm »

What's wrong with this page?
https://openxcom.org/git-builds/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 04:33:43 pm by MCreeper »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 22, 2019, 04:59:14 pm »

Note of the existence of an openxcom fork : open xcom extended , OXCE.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5258.0.html

OXCE is also included in the current version of the x-piratez mod as x-piratez -require- you to use OXCE, not old open xcom (so no need to download OXCE separately if you download xpiratez).

All you need after that, regardless of using open xcom or OXCE is to follow the instruction on where to put the original xcom files
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Installing_(OpenXcom)
(for the xcom files it's in ...\yourOXCEdirectory\UFO\    and if you also have terror from the deep its files will go in ...\yourOXCEdirectory\TFTD\   )
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:01:20 pm by Robsoie »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 22, 2019, 05:08:11 pm »

I wonder where\who THIS if from. Noseless lewd Red Alert styled... Rin?
Also,
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:11:33 pm by MCreeper »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 23, 2019, 04:18:47 am »

Regarding EMP: unlocking the small launcher itself is hard as well, but I think you don't need the EMP research to use EMP bombs then. At least in my game the enemies bring plenty of those, a lot more than stun bombs.
Just did one of the story missions which has a lot of tanks, and those can be oneshotted with that.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 23, 2019, 07:00:42 am »

I'm surprised how much handles seems to be one of the best knockout item for capture considering how early game you can get them, they're very effective at downing things and they have such a low TU use that you can hit a lot of time (or cover a large distance and still be able to strike a few time a target)
in previous run in which i was using a lot of time the cattle prods i was always frustrated by their high TU cost and how barely working they were when they hit.

But the handles, wow they work so often and so easily.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 23, 2019, 07:18:31 am »

I tend to use baseball bats for a lot of the same reason. One big thing for me in XPiratez was the switch to actually preferring night missions. The Gals have better vision then the enemies at night, so its easier to find enemies, run up to them, and then whack them with something blunt until they either give in or die.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 152