Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 225322 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #300 on: April 23, 2019, 12:33:08 pm »

Yeah, I found my issue once my gals started statting up was that enemies tended to get splattered rather than KO'd with things like the ball bat.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 23, 2019, 12:41:53 pm »

I tend to use handles if the gal has high bravery otherwise baseball bats. I tend to use alot of them for the early game content, while keeping some handles on my bravest soldiers into deep mid game. The extra score from all the captures is great.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 23, 2019, 02:29:32 pm »

A lot of the easier enemies go down to unarmed combat as well, once you have decent stats. It is more lethal than handles though.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 23, 2019, 04:54:14 pm »

Recently discovered from a "tavern rumour" an enemy base far away just between the north and south american continents (my current base is in the middle of the european continent)

It's rather dangerous in x-piratez because i'm still early game and my current best weapon is only combat shotgun (and grenades) but if i don't want to get an early game over due to the accumulated negative score from letting a base around (or edit the save to remove the malus  before the end of each month), i'm forced to assault it.

So due to the map forcing it, i have 2 Gals team made of 3 members each, for "tactical reason" :D i save every turns , and as expected one of my team ran into hell.
Hell meaning there's a few corridors from which a bunch of enemy will come and my 3 Gals will always be out of reaction shots after killing most of them, letting themselves being killed by the 2 guys with some personnal strange shield and their darth maul-like one hit killer mellee weapon.

So using the tactical :D save i have been toying around with multiple tactical placement and relocation in the hope i could get my Gals to survive this insanity.
And finally got one that actually worked (in the advanced option i have save scumming to "YAAAR" so the randomness of the rolls is ensured instead of being fixed), mostly because the 2 problematic guys didn't came this way this time and the other lesser were just all killed.

I was a bit relieved as i thought things were going to be good (as in a previous attempt having enough shotguns shot focused on the guys with their odd personnal shield can kill them as long as i'm in close range with the "auto" firemode, it also showed from the death scream that those guys are gals in fact too, my bad)
So it's my turn, let's see if there's something behind us before starting to hunt the 2 shielded guys that are very likely close.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:o
I guess that's what is called pure luck as the thing obviously had ran out of TU when it came there :D

edit : looks like all went well after that with a few more "tactical reload" :D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 05:57:53 pm by Robsoie »

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 23, 2019, 08:53:57 pm »

So for your first few months, ball bats should be your go to weapon until you get stun rods (cattle prods) dropped from the Academy.  For 20 TU's, they do a whopping 70 electric damage, at a base 125% chance to hit.  Cattle prods even bypasses armor decently, allowing you to one shot a ground level academy drone.

Also, what are your girls wearing?  For your first year, I'd recommend sailor and pirate outfits.  Sailor outfits look like a joke and don't include a backpack, but give a XP bonus that's great for power leveling rookies.  The pirate outfit lacks armor but includes a small backpack as well as a whopping +15 melee bonus and huge evasion calc.  You should be able to research both pretty early along the Our Culture and Weirdness lines.  I kept both as my standard uniforms until I was able to buy Tac Vests towards the end of my first year.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 24, 2019, 04:04:06 am »

I have 2 or 3 enemy bases that I just ignore. The point loss is not that high, I make more than enough to counter it and then some.

I hardly ever use the cattle prod, but once I get the electric lasso most gals will have one in the belt for a while.
Hardly ever use the ballbat either, I prefer the handle to capture and saber or dagger for lethal attacks.
But that is the beauty of XPiratez, that there is not one best weapon or tactic.
Some people ignore almost all the heavy armor in favour of guerilla outfits until the very end. I prefer a mix of fast, preferably flying melee gals (swiftsuit is love) and heavy weapon (meaning Autocannon/Light Cannon etc) gals that can take a beating in heavy armor, with some flying sniper and rifle support as neccessary. Add a mortar gal on some missions as well.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 24, 2019, 05:41:31 am »

I should PTW this.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 24, 2019, 06:03:29 am »

On my early base attack, i assaulted the base with all my Gals wearing swimsuit as shown in the screenshot, as mostly every enemies in there had good weapon i thought bringing warrior armor wouldn't matter much at that point, and because swimsuit has this nice TU bonus well, why not ? it's always better i guess than going commando :D

TU bonus was certainly helpfull in there when rushing into a last tile distance to reach that hard cover after wasting TU in shooting.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 24, 2019, 06:17:44 am »

Yeah, Warrior mostly doesn't do much against gauss.  Even the Gauss pistol averages 70 damage (0-200%) with 5% pre-damage.  Warrior, plate, most armors don't have piercing resistance.  Guerilla does have 80% piercing, which might be part of the reason some players sing its praises (probably the camo and firing bonus though, and +30 reactions).

I tried assault a guild base last run and there was just no way, heh.  Besides the sheer numbers of enemies and the trick availability of cover, there were... special foes which were truly ridiculous.  Plus the leader, who I didn't seem to damage with mass heavy slugthrowers alternating chem/piercing.  Due to those dang shields, I'm sure.

I did conduct some snatch-and-grabs though, which were pretty profitable.  Each "attack" costs some score, but like the #entry says, you'll probably make that up in score from booty.

I don't think you're supposed to actually clear a base until the actual endgame :P  The per-month penalty seems minor, I assume it's reduced from vanilla.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 24, 2019, 06:25:35 am »

You can get the ability to hire peasants early on... but they suck. They really suck.
With some grinding for magicarp power and diligent savescumming they can be turned in pretty respectable unit, at least offensive-wise. Sure, they will never fight better than ubers and will never cast magic better than bugeyes, but if you really insist on having glass gun...  :P
Bootypedia says that voodoo skill for peasant caps out on 66, but it appears to actually be 69. *Insert obligatory lame lewd joke*

Recently discovered from a "tavern rumour" an enemy base far away just between the north and south american continents (my current base is in the middle of the european continent)

So using the tactical :D save i have been toying around with multiple tactical placement and relocation in the hope i could get my Gals to survive this insanity.
And finally got one that actually worked (in the advanced option i have save scumming to "YAAAR" so the randomness of the rolls is ensured instead of being fixed), mostly because the 2 problematic guys didn't came this way this time and the other lesser were just all killed.
It's fun when this "tavern rumour" appears after supply ships landed in the same spot near your base for almost half a year.

Fun, and probably known fact - by default, all things random, including movement direction of enemies when they have nothing in particular to do, are decided by placement of your units. Move this girl hanging around in your ship three tiles to the left, and suddenly enemies go in totally diffirent direction. I'm not sure which way of savescumming is more annoying.

I actually cleared my first base (marsec with cyberdiscs), although with a lot of swearing, savescumming and two last barely conscious girls finishing off shielded leader (who has either run out of ammo, or bugged out, because he didn't shot me) with bardiches. Not later ones, though, because it's year 4.5 and i still have no way to reasonably defeat plasma hovertanks. And i just pressed "Ctrl+D, Ctrl+K" then disposed of loot and money on this star god attack. There were just no way to defeat those.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:34:40 am by MCreeper »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 24, 2019, 07:42:34 am »

Yeah peasants have surprisingly high caps.  They'll never get uber HP or STR, and "only" 100 melee, but their firing cap is equal to ubers at 120.
Male "slave" soldiers are pretty similar, naturally (with different starting tendencies).  They do get more HP and STR cap, but less stamina and firing accuracy.  Males also get stable morale and "overstun resistant", which is interesting, whereas females get pain resistance and a small bravery bonus to V.Def.

I'd say it largely comes down to the armors, though I haven't messed with the male superhero armors.  But I do know that militia training for peasants is great, particularly once you have a sickbay/onsen/surgery set up to reduce the recovery times.  It's only 14 days base, at my Luxury Spa base that's reduced to *6*.

The odd thing is it doesn't train strength, which seems like something you'd prioritize in basic training...  But it only takes a hit or two in-battle to gain the strength for a Linux SMG.  And going over strength requirements by a point or two isn't so bad.

Anyway yeah peasants can be pretty great!  I like putting them in Defender armor and sending them against normal enemies, since earth-guns mostly just bounce off.  Their numbers and very low cost make them useful against heavily armed but low-armor foes like Spartans, too.  Throwing in a few Ubers equipped for enemy armor seems to work well.

Also: Their voodoo power caps at 69, the skill caps at 66.  Which... wow, ubers only get 60/40!  Human males are basically equivalent at 70/65, and the bugeyes 75/75 doesn't *seem* that much higher, except I think a lot of calculations use power*skill.  So there's a quadratic effect.
Ubers can make up a lot of that difference with voodoo outfits like Theban or Novice, whereas so far I only see +5 power for humans (going nekkid).

Star god attack:  Friiick, I'm getting paranoid about those, they've already done a couple pogroms.  Maybe...  a couple miniguns to strip down the shields and do armor pre-damage, HMG with plasteel to do the actual damage, and elerium grenades for the 4-tile sectopods (after their shields are stripped)?  I think I'm about to unlock these damn mini-nukes, surely those will work as last-ditch suicide options.  Probably destroying my facilities, but *surely* the star gods can't facetank nuclear weapons-
(oh right humanity lost the war lol)
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 24, 2019, 09:24:11 am »

Those personnal shields can be nasty, in my base attack there was already a few women with their one hit kill darth maul-like weapon that were using one.
But the real bad were the reverend and cardinals were apparently using a stronger version of it.

I think going auto shotgun really helped there, even despite the wounds inflicted by the reaction shot from those baddies as it took down their personnal shields in a few auto shotgun use at reasonnable distance.
Enough for allowing to finally destroy them, as from my "tactical reload" tests, handles can't knock them out even when their shields are down, so i guess it needs some much more powerfull KO weaponry for them.

edit : those sirius cult guys really like to show off how much money they have.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:00:56 pm by Robsoie »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 24, 2019, 03:18:16 pm »

Hellerium grenades don't do much against sectopods I think, as those have a good concussion resistance.

About the stat caps: you can go a little over the cap, because you get a normal experience roll even if you are just one point shy of the "maximum". So if you are lucky you get some more points.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 24, 2019, 06:31:06 pm »

What's the general verdict on the gals vs guys choice you can make pretty early on? It read like choosing guys would mean I won't be able to get units as good as the gals you start with but is it just a visual thing or are there actual gameplay consequences?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 24, 2019, 06:38:53 pm »

Being able to recruit uber gals is considered easier, including by Dioxine.  It's mostly an early game thing.  If you choose gals, you still get the option to beef up male slaves into soldiers through manufacturing.  And if you choose guys, you can still recruit castaways and young ubers.  The choice is only between what you can buy en masse from the "black market".

You... MIGHT get the option to recruit warriors and veterans eventually anyway, but I can't really tell easily.  If so, choosing the male touch would be kinda nice in the late game, if you want a lot of human auxiliaries.  But you get peasants either way.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 152