Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 223894 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2014, 06:52:44 pm »

Umm not sure about open Xcom but didn't zapping a cyberdisc with a stun rod cause it explode in your face? I can vagualy recall that happening to me in the original years ago.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2014, 07:04:09 pm »

http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Cyberdisc

Unlikely.  But given the glitchy nature of oldcom, its possible.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2014, 11:37:15 pm »

Cyberdiscs are resistant to explosions. So apply more plasma.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2014, 07:01:12 am »

The truth about old x-com, and it was probably fixed in Open as it was a fairly large bug, was that "large" units, such as cyberdiscs and reapers and anything else that took up 4 squares, would take near quadruple damage from anything that was area of effect. This included explosives and stun bombs. They were supposed to be resistant to them, but even if you're only taking 50% damage, if the explosion registers on all 4 sections of the character model and adds damage to the total for each one, that's still double the damage that should be output even without resistance.

It was a good strategy of old, but if they've fixed it we need to find different methods.

As far as stunning them, it is possible, but I remember it being quite tricky to actually pull off, I always did it by pure accident.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2014, 07:43:13 am »

The resistances combined with armor often meant them recieving only scratch damage inless you use really strong explosives... and chances are you won't have really strong and flexible explosives (both Rocket launchers and HE packs are hella heavy and cumbersome) when you first meet cyberdiscs so you are left fighting them with laser rifles (or cannons if you are very sloppy with research as anything below cannons just won't even dent it) and normal grenades that can't get through the resistances and armor to even make a dent.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2014, 12:50:29 pm »

I killed cyberdiscs with stun bombs on superhuman, in version .9, so I think they are being faithful to the original in that respect.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2014, 01:17:01 pm »

I like openxcom, in normal xcom it was never easy but I didn't feel like I was really in danger of outright losing. Then I get openxcom and I end up standing on a goddamn tightrope, where falling equals failure for humanity. Gave me a hell of a lot more appreciation for explosives, though.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2014, 11:32:53 pm »

Any one have the math for chance to hit with autoshot vs snap shot?

I have a 26% chance to hit with snap and an 18% chance with auto... but I get three tries with auto.

I am not worried about hitting more than once or TU to chance to hit, I am just curious about straight up probability.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2014, 12:01:59 am »

I have a 26% chance to hit with snap and an 18% chance with auto... but I get three tries with auto.

I am not worried about hitting more than once or TU to chance to hit, I am just curious about straight up probability.

0.18  +  (0.82 * 0.18)  +  (0.82 * 0.82 * 0.18) = 0.448632

45% chances of hitting with at least one of the three shots.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2014, 12:04:58 am »

In my experience, snap shots are better at long range whereas auto shots are better at close range. 3 18% chances SHOULD be better then one 26% chance, but in practice 2-3 of the 3 shots end up missing at moderate to long range. But in close quarters an auto shot works about the same, if not better, then a snap shot.

Related:

I just lost most of my crew because psionic powers. I had 6-7 people and my Commander standing by in the Skyranger, both because I don't want to cause a panic from high-ranking officers dying and because I didn't feel like walking them all the way to the UFO. One of them had this cool new Blaster Launcher I'd been meaning to try out but forgot to. Their Sectoid Leader, in the turn RIGHT BEFORE the rest of the squad burst through the door and stunned him, mind controlled the one with the Blaster Launcher and killed all of the ones in the Skyranger. They were all wearing Power Suits too. After I got over the loss, I have to admit it was pretty awesome. Albeit awesome for the enemy, but still awesome.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2014, 12:10:45 am »

0.18  +  (0.82 * 0.18)  +  (0.82 * 0.82 * 0.18) = 0.448632

45% chances of hitting with at least one of the three shots.

Where are you getting the 0.82?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2014, 12:30:13 am »

Probability of missing a shot?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2014, 01:00:25 am »

Probability of missing a shot?

Yeah.  1.0 - 0.18 = 0.82.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2014, 01:54:44 am »

I have absolutely nothing to back this up, but the degree to which your units miss seems to be dependent on the accuracy of the shot. So, a 90% accuracy shot might just barely miss the alien scum, while a 10% might veer off to the side and hit your buddy. With this in mind, I read somewhere that the accuracy for the shot only determines if it's "hit scan". A shot fired that "misses" on the dice roll can still hit, which is why you're highly likely to hit in close quarters. These "misses" also can run into cover, unlike the "hit scan" ones. /Speculation
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2014, 07:33:43 am »

I don't know what you were trying to do with that calculation, but the probability of hitting at least once is usually calculated by doing (1 - (probablilty of missing all shots)) = 1 - (.82 * .82 * .82) = .551368 (roughly 55%).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 152