Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 224569 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #540 on: May 20, 2019, 04:42:54 pm »

It might be that you haven't researched the Valuable Coins yet, that's necessary before you can turn them in (true for most bounty items).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 21, 2019, 01:51:43 pm »

I had something like that on...I believe it was my second mission ever. Haven't encountered the pirates since, which is a shame as I'd probably be better equipped to deal with them now.

The Necropirates I fight are equipped with muskets and the like...

I’s that intentional?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 21, 2019, 02:29:05 pm »

I had something like that on...I believe it was my second mission ever. Haven't encountered the pirates since, which is a shame as I'd probably be better equipped to deal with them now.

The Necropirates I fight are equipped with muskets and the like...

I’s that intentional?

I've never seen them with anything else besides stuff like muskets, bunderbuses and melee weapons. I know SOME enemies are supposed to scale with the player though. I believe it was mentioned at some point that the sky ninjas are eventually supposed to be a sort of rival/nemesis to your gals and supposed to roughly scale with the current tech you're using.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 21, 2019, 06:02:33 pm »

It sounds like they're supposed to be undead pirates, so... what else would they be using?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 21, 2019, 11:59:35 pm »

I mean, our group calls themselves pirates but that doesn’t stop us from using automatic weaponry...

There’s adhering to an image, and then there’s adhering to an image so hard your fucking dogs (I think the blood hounds are dogs?) are more of a threat than you are.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 22, 2019, 03:40:36 am »

I think the necropirates are supposed to be threat only in the early game. Muskets are slow but if they hit they can cause decent amount of damage through early armor. Also, their analysis says they all are insane.

The analysis says they eat zombies to get unnatural toughness but it has negative effects on the mind.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 22, 2019, 03:50:52 am »

I thought it was the savvy girls who were the ones who ate zombies, or are they the same thing?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 22, 2019, 03:52:25 am »

Savvy Girls are just civilians.

Canny Gals on the other hand eat zombies and are insane.

Haven't necro pirates myself, I guess because I was way into the midgame when they were introduced.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 04:13:11 am by Rince Wind »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 22, 2019, 04:25:50 am »

Ah that's what I meant. Canny Girls. I first met them in the jungle and it was like Apocalypse Now with all the fiery explosive crates I set off.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 22, 2019, 07:55:33 am »

Yeah the canny girls and necropirates both eat zombie flesh, which gives them remarkable resilience (even for ubers) but appears to drive them insane (even for ubers).

What's less obvious is that it allows them to live outside of the zones.  Ubers need constant hellerium exposure to... get by.  It's not clear what happens if they don't get it.  One theory is that Ubers with the strongest minds are able to withstand the craving as their hellerium-enhanced physiology cannibalizes itself, eventually resulting in a gnome.  Most ubers, the theory goes, would give in and hunt the easiest source of raw hellerium: zombies.
Less easy source: our gals.

Their insanity might not be a direct result of the zombie flesh, but long-term underexposure to hellerium.  Either way, they hunt socially and use technology.  The canny gals are seemingly lower-tech, but they have some dangerous toxins and suggestions of voodoo.  I tend to avoid canny gals, mostly for their very effective camouflage even during the day.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 22, 2019, 08:18:24 am »

Blood rites can have some absolutely insane loot for how early the mission appears, if you have the weaponry to handle some relatively pretty heavily armored enemies.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 22, 2019, 09:20:49 am »

There are a lot of techs, and the tree is a bit overwhelming for newbies (on my second playthrough). Plus 3 brainers means you research slooooowly. Does anyone have good advice for techs to rush? Feel free to correct me all the places I'm about to be wrong:

• X-grog keeps you from being broke in the first few months if you don't have hundreds of apples, so you want the cunning, survival, violence, and weirdness. A lot of techs require those anyway.
    Interrogate everyone you can. You get free (don't waste an item, like your only laser) techs, and they're pretty fast to re-research if you've got multiple of the same hostage. Plus, it gives you score for extra money long-term. Starting with low-end people and working your way up makes sure you don't have a leader tell you what an orange is.
  • Bounty hunting means you start gaining almost easy missions early, and start building up favor with the factions, even without a mess hall.
  • Dogs are not quite cheap at 5k each and 1k/month, die if they're shot twice, but are easily replaceable. And you won't have the medical supplies for a sick bay, so 1 can take up a spot in your airbus to help explore.
  • Gym Suit (from gymnastics) claims to give +10% experience, is quick and cheap to manufacture, gives you a bit more holding capacity, and has some heat resist. I still don't know if it's good or not. Alternatively barbarian (hot or cold resist, or high combat stress to train bravery) as an upgrade to tribal.

• Living space is a barrier to building up your base at first (especially if you buy all of the runts you can at the start so they can run your distillery), but burrows can be replaced with living quarters when you research those, effectively upgrading them. You can hold off on builder's guild until you're ready for really expanding.
    Likewise, weapons you can buy early are worse than what you get off the dead (until you run out of ammo), so getting merchants isn't something you need to rush right away.

Mess hall implies it improves healing some, but I don't know. Same with Onsen, but that's not super early-game.
Is animal taming a good early tech? Dogs seem vulnerable, don't do daze/concussive, and have low stamina.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 22, 2019, 12:24:38 pm »

Necropirates aren't ubers, they just have similar strength from the zombie eating. All ubers are women, though there are male half-ubers as civilians. Their in-game info directly states their madness comes from eating zombies, but it might be different for cannies as they are ubers.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 22, 2019, 03:39:42 pm »

Male ubers are brutes. Stronger than even the gals, but they lack the brains.

@Iduno: I tend to try and get my brainer numbers up asap. I worry about paying them later and it works out, because they generate quite it bit of money in the form of score by themselves. So 3 Brainers is first month stuff, if I am lucky I'll have four at the end. Around May - June I have all the brainers I can stuff in the lab.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 22, 2019, 08:04:22 pm »

Can someone give a rundown of the Dr. X plotline? What are the outcomes of the mission and which of them translates into getting all of the possible tech she has? The tech tree has a lot of bits and bobs with X in it to confuse me.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 152