Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 224687 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2014, 07:43:33 am »

Depeding on settings (you can set OpenXcom to be exacly like classic or take distance/smoke into account.
Also while i have no clue about the accuracy formula i can tell that "missing" a shot does not equal missing it. Missing in Xcom means that your shot will deviate off target but the deviation is random so a shot thats taken at a small distance might not deviate enough to miss the alien even with a 1% accuracy a burst might hit all 3 shots if the alien is 1-2 titles away.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2014, 10:06:51 am »

I don't know what you were trying to do with that calculation, but the probability of hitting at least once is usually calculated by doing (1 - (probablilty of missing all shots)) = 1 - (.82 * .82 * .82) = .551368 (roughly 55%).

1 - (.82 * .82 * .82) = .448632, same as his

His formula is (1-x)x0 + (1-x)x1 + (1-x)x2 ... + (1-x)xn, which will simplify to your formula, 1-xn
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2014, 10:31:43 am »

Doh!  You're right of course.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2014, 12:14:58 pm »

So I never played xcom.

Is there a reason to play this instead of the new one? Been waiting to get spending money. It does look fun.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2014, 12:18:07 pm »

I should have known that formula.

Anyways, I started a superhuman iron man game. Well, I started 4, the 4th one is going okay though. My psi labs are being built and I have access to blasters and flying armor. I have abandoned any missions involving Etherals but so far only the UK has dropped out.

I think I have a shot at winning.

So I never played xcom.

Is there a reason to play this instead of the new one? Been waiting to get spending money. It does look fun.

Uhhhh. This one is definitively less scripted. The aliens are doing their thing and you are responding to it. You might find the UFOs that are building their bases and shoot them down before the base is built.

Another difference is squad size, the first transport does up to 14 units and the last one does like 22 or something. The bigger squad sizes are needed as your guys will very rarely survive a single hit.

New X-Com may have better tactical combat but old X-Com has a really nice sandboxy feel to it.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2014, 12:42:31 pm »

X-Com: UFO Defense is on sale for 2.50 on steam until June 30th. With OpenX-Com that's a steal.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2014, 03:10:00 pm »

I have absolutely nothing to back this up, but the degree to which your units miss seems to be dependent on the accuracy of the shot. So, a 90% accuracy shot might just barely miss the alien scum, while a 10% might veer off to the side and hit your buddy. With this in mind, I read somewhere that the accuracy for the shot only determines if it's "hit scan". A shot fired that "misses" on the dice roll can still hit, which is why you're highly likely to hit in close quarters. These "misses" also can run into cover, unlike the "hit scan" ones. /Speculation
Right on all counts, except the "hit scan" shots aren't anything special, they're just aimed perfectly at the target.  They can still hit cover.  Not that they will most of the time, but sometimes there are things perfectly in between you and the target (like other units, since those don't block LoS).

Also if you're firing blind at a tile the agents usually direct their shots at the ground of the tile IME, meaning in some situations you can fire a perfectly accurate shot at an occupied tile and still miss.  It also makes intentionally shooting cover painful.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2014, 03:21:03 pm »

The obvious secret to shooting cover is shooting past it, but that's sometimes easier said than done.
Nothing important here, move along.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2014, 03:21:45 pm »

Fucking fences man...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2014, 10:22:09 pm »

Related:

I just lost most of my crew because psionic powers. I had 6-7 people and my Commander standing by in the Skyranger, both because I don't want to cause a panic from high-ranking officers dying and because I didn't feel like walking them all the way to the UFO. One of them had this cool new Blaster Launcher I'd been meaning to try out but forgot to. Their Sectoid Leader, in the turn RIGHT BEFORE the rest of the squad burst through the door and stunned him, mind controlled the one with the Blaster Launcher and killed all of the ones in the Skyranger. They were all wearing Power Suits too. After I got over the loss, I have to admit it was pretty awesome. Albeit awesome for the enemy, but still awesome.

That's a great story, man.  I've had similar happen to me.  I've even managed to restrain myself from save scumming after it happened, a couple of times.  ;)

It can be pretty risky carrying that heavy firepower around when you're going up against psionics.  There are some things you can do.  They might seem kind of cheap, though.

- Pop smoke in the skyranger.  The aliens won't be able to see in there, thus can't mind control anyone in it.  Leave your blaster wielding soldier in the skyranger.

- At the end of your soldier's turn, have him drop the blaster launcher on the ground.  Then, next turn, pick it up again.  Mind controlled soldiers will never pick up weapons on the ground.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2014, 10:24:13 pm »

My solution has always been to nuke the area I suspect a commander is in with the BL, though it doesn't always work out.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2014, 10:33:47 pm »

I'm curious, would anyone be up for a succession X-Com, where each person plays through the game until they complete a single mission, when the game save is passed off?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2014, 04:40:44 am »

Is anyone playing the 1.0 release and getting an error during battle?

I'm on a terror mission and went through a few turns, but on the 4th turn or so it bugs out when the enemy moves and seems to freeze.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2014, 05:07:37 am »

I'm curious, would anyone be up for a succession X-Com, where each person plays through the game until they complete a single mission, when the game save is passed off?

I would, but I think completing a month in the game per person would be more interesting.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2014, 03:53:20 pm »

The amount of time you would play would be pretty variable if that were the case, I'd prefer a set time.

A month isn't that unreasonable, the only real problem I can think of is that the game is pretty much beat if you're going strong around, say, month six.  So there'd only be so many turns that would need to be played.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 152