Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 224559 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #660 on: July 22, 2019, 12:57:47 pm »

I started almost a year ago. :D

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 22, 2019, 02:28:24 pm »

I wasn't sure how long a while was in the "I've been having 2-3 for a while now."

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 22, 2019, 03:19:52 pm »

Me neither, to be honest, as these missions don't pop up very often anymore.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 22, 2019, 07:01:18 pm »

There are a few different missions where humanists show up. The low level bounties typically only have  5 or so total. The pogroms have much more.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 23, 2019, 03:53:11 pm »

On my new xpiratez run i went with the red codex again, this time to test the Snake transport ship.
It's rather huge despite it can only transport 6 gals so there's a lot of useless space in it. Additionally it is emitting light like crazy on a long distance from the front, so if you exit from the front doors, you are at a higher risk to be shot by someone immediately, exiting from the back is then recommended (but due to the huge size, it's a lot of TU wasted to walk then from the back to the front area)

You can also go to the roof exit (the Snake being huge also has multiple floors) but there's also lot of light there, meaning you get seen from everywhere too.

And most annoying to me, half of the gals in the Snake will spend too much TU to reach the exits, so you may not want to have them exiting on the 1st turn to avoid getting out without enough TU for multiple shots. the other half are close enough to the central lift to be able to exit quickly from the roof (though exposing yourself due to the zone beind under light.

A positive though is that there's a lot of windows so you can move the gals around inside to observe/shoot the area without exiting, but when taking cover make sure you're not in view of a window (as the enemy has no problem shooting through them from the outside too)
All in all, i'm not that much of a happy customer of that Snake transport ship, should have taken the Scorpion again on this run too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 03:55:29 pm by Robsoie »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 23, 2019, 04:04:48 pm »

I just had a Humanist bounty that had 3 targets. And one of them was locked in a room that was inaccessible without knocking down a wall.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 23, 2019, 04:31:26 pm »

Snake can go underwater.

And don't the craft lights go out as well when you press [l]ights off?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 23, 2019, 04:51:11 pm »

For the underwater, the description does not mention it, can't test for now as i don't have any underwater mission (didn't researched them)
For the lights, L is only for the gals or their armor themselves , it's not working for the snake giant lights.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 25, 2019, 09:35:13 am »

Usually in my games, for a very long time i use gals with combat shotgun+frag grenades and swimsuits.
The frag grenades (the green grenades not the HE ones that are weaker) has been proving good against armored enemies (even managed to destroy armored cars) , the swimsuit always provide good bonus (and that super nice increased TU ) , and the combat shotgun is very accurate and an enemy rarely survive a 3 hits from its auto-shot function.

That kind of setup can always make gals survive for a very long time before the strongest enemies start to show up.

So for a change when a "doomed farm" mission appeared (doom monsters in a farm) i decided to take the 2 gals with the highest melee and strength, field them with Barbaric Axes and Chainmail (as it's one of the rare early heavy armor without too much TU malus, and it's has way more defense than warrior armor too)  to test a change of tactic.

After exiting the snake both gals took out a couple of regular doom zombies.
But next turn, a couple of chaingunners showed up and despite not hitting much the gals and being at a mid/long range killed them both in that turn.

Wow, so much for strong armor, they died the same as if they had swimsuits (i guess those heavy machinegun bonus against armor is very good).
I guess i'll continue my older tactics then, much more TU available for moving everywhere, maybe i'll start researching heavy machineguns too if they are able to kill heavy armor that fast.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:38:10 am by Robsoie »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 25, 2019, 09:58:38 am »

I can't recall doom chainguns stats off the top of my head, but a lot of weapons do damage to armor, so even a few hits can be fatal even against good armor. First 1 or 2 hits from a strong weapon can wear the armor down to almost useless. It's especially bad with the rapid fire guns. Early game there's not much you can do against them other than put lots of terrain between them and you. The up side is their reactions TEND to be terrible, so you can pop out and shoot them relatively unmolested and go back into hiding. (They do sometimes pop a few off at you, so it's not 100% safe).

Having a few melee gals is a valid strategy, you just still need to understand you're not a tank even with the best early armor. Let the armor be insurance against the occasional stray/lucky shot. Don't depend on it to soak up everything. You will get armor later on that'll make you a tank to most things, but it's MUCH later.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 25, 2019, 10:11:35 am »

heavy machineguns all damage armor, uac version (doom weapons) included if i'm remember well, meaning that indeed using no or heavy armor( at that stage of the game of course, end game power armors being different) is exactly the same : the gal is hit a few times = she's dead regardless of armor.
I never played with heavy machineguns so far myself as in the stats they all seemed to have horrible accuracy, but horrible accuracy do not seem to be a problem when my gals are shot, so i guess i'll start to use them a lot more :D

So in the end the lesson to learn is that scouting is always a must, in order to know what kind of weapons the enemies roaming around are carrying.
Interesting armor for that (more than the default 12 night vision) in near-midgame are the Night Ops and Sniper that have 20 night vision (and in the case of Night Ops without the enemy being able to spot her as soon as she spot them).

There's also the old xcom tactic of throwing light sources like a flare to reveal enemies in the dark and beyond the night vision range.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 25, 2019, 10:16:41 am »

Continuing my ongoing campaign (started in J8, recently updated to J15), I have just recruited Dr. X. But I have ran out of research. Most of the research that I have not done is gated by broken Academy Provost. I know some research I will get after analysing her recruitment, but that is not much.
So, having had no academy missions in a long time, I am going to save up to buy a Provost. Seeing how she costs 100 000 000$ and I only have 25 000 000$ so far, this might take a bit.

All plasma weapons, chemical weapons, and piercing weapons with damage greater or equal to 60 damage armor. Others may too. So I looked into the files and the the UAC Chaingun has an Armor Pre-Damage multiplier of 5%. So yes, it damages armor as well.

From the .yml file, I learned that UAC Chaingun is STR_CHAINGUN.

About darkness, gals can see farther than regual humans at night. So going around in total darkness (turn personal lights off with "l"), is almost as good as throwing light sources at enemies while not keeping any on oneself.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 25, 2019, 11:36:44 am »

Maybe silly to point out, but if there's an Academy base around you could probably get one from there.  Of course base assaults are appropriately nightmarish, but a smash-and-grab might be feasible...

And yeah I settled on heavy machine guns and related weapons as my baseline armament (when possible).  Mostly due to their armor stripping, which works against the number one difficulty I find in the game.  They're also extremely effective if you manage to deploy (generally kneel) at close range via ambush, even able to bore through vehicles and power armor.  But they're even decent at long range, destroying cover and tending to land a few hits just from the normalizing effect of their burst size.  The number of shots makes them unusually reliable, for firearms.

I'm not there in my current game, but MGs and miniguns were my strategy for clearing Wizard mansions in my previous run.  No armor holds up to enough armor-pre-dmg dakka.

(And in turn, Doom grunts and Sergeants are mostly fodder, but their chaingunners I take cover from and prioritize.  Though they have a tendency to shoot their own, heh)
((chaingun zombie troopers are the same thing without the squishiness of doom-enemies, screw whatever blackhearted necromancer spawned them))
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 11:39:46 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 25, 2019, 12:21:42 pm »

For a while, I was loading wheeled machine guns on my craft as makeshift door guns. I"d rarely haul them far from the craft, but they were amazingly effective at clearing the landing zone, poking vision holes in terrain, and just generally being a decent source of damage even from across the map.

They became less vital, and while I still have a few laying around that might get use once in a while, they were largely surpassed once I started getting weapons of similar power that could be hauled around easier. They were also amazing at base defense. Anyone can hold a chokepoint with one of those even a barely trained peasant.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 25, 2019, 12:24:27 pm »

Are they good against mercenaries ?
They always seemed completely impervious to anything i was using (grenade, auto shotguns, etc...) , i wonder with the anti-armor feature of those machine guns could then be super usefull against those upgraded mutons
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 152