Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 224636 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #870 on: August 16, 2019, 11:14:37 am »

Early necropirates are not quite as unbalanced as they could be because when they land there's usually 2-3 awake Castaway Gals fighting on your side (who you can take home if they survive). Admittedly, you'd need to be very aggressive to have them survive, since they're even more suicidal than normal civilians.

They can show up later, but yes, the chance becomes tiny as time passes.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: August 16, 2019, 02:51:04 pm »

I usually see them between Tiny Drill and Graduation... they're generally not too bad as long as you don't try to knock them unconscious (50% resistance to daze and choking). They're also fairly low value hostages, so don't bother.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: August 16, 2019, 03:19:17 pm »

I have still not seen these necropirates. Will I have to start a new game to get them?

I just had one 1.5 years in, but I had to shoot it down. All of the 125 movement ships seem to be them. They're worth 3k each as hostages, carry early-game loot (flintlock rifles and the 4-way shotgun thing), and still manage to injure you.

It's best to ignore them.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: August 16, 2019, 03:36:09 pm »

Flintlock rifles are surprisingly as damaging as sniper rifles (and like most guns of the sniper rifle category has additional damage bonus depending on the user stats) so it may explain why whatever armor you when you get those damned necropirates, they can still wound the Gals easily.

But at least they burn very well (takes 200% damage from burn)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 03:41:08 pm by Robsoie »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: August 16, 2019, 03:43:10 pm »

Flintlocks and muskets do 42 damage, it takes a while until other guns can do more. If they hit, they usually hit hard.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: August 16, 2019, 04:37:58 pm »

They do 42, but it's with 140% armor effectiveness - which is an extra 8 armor on an unarmored Uber. So while it's bad, it's not quite as bad as the raw numbers imply.

(As a pedantic sidenote, only Flintlock Rifles are classed as sniper rifles/have bonus damage, and those I don't believe I've ever seen any enemies use.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 05:07:23 pm by E. Albright »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: August 16, 2019, 05:07:03 pm »

42 + additional damage depending on Firing*0.15 + Bravery*0.15.
No idea how are the stats for the enemies to see if the necropirates stats can overcome those 140% armor , as the ANAL things do not list them.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: August 16, 2019, 05:10:20 pm »

That's Flintlock Rifles [the ones that you have to research and manufacture, and which use Minnie Bullets], which I don't think I've ever seen any enemy unit use. Flintlock Rifles are also only 30 base damage, even though they're 100% armor effectiveness and have the bonus damage you mention. Necropirates run around with Muskets and Flintlock Pistols, both of which are 42 + 0 @140% [and use Flintlock Balls].
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 05:15:24 pm by E. Albright »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: August 16, 2019, 05:17:21 pm »

I was mixing those rifles and pistols i guess :D

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: August 17, 2019, 07:58:15 pm »

What second tier ships do people like? When using Red, I really liked how the Scorpion allowed for a quick exit from all positions and allowed for fast missions with how hostiles could spawn close. This time, I'm taking Grey with the Jellyfish, but I'm iffy on it. It's interesting how it has some great attack vantage points from the windows, but it has a lousy real population of six (the seventh is locked in position) and I'm not quite sure what's up with the bit in the description of ability to operate a mystic weapon.

Edit: Welp, that's resolved, courtesy of the below post; totally didn't think to check the floor. Now to figure out how to actually use that thing.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 09:17:34 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: August 17, 2019, 08:51:53 pm »

(the seventh is locked in position) and I'm not quite sure what's up with the bit in the description of ability to operate a mystic weapon.
As per the wiki, there should be a special weapon on the ground where the locked-in gal is.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: August 17, 2019, 08:59:49 pm »

I've almost never gotten said special weapon to work consistently except on the ghost island missions where you're on land for the second part (where admittedly it's pretty handy). Is there some sly trick that should be obvious that I'm too dense to understand? I've tried just about every cardinal direction, setting waypoints close to make sure it doesn't hit the ship, etc. but almost (but not entirely!) without fail I blast the walls enclosing me and nothing happens.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 18, 2019, 01:38:55 am »

Open the window first.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 18, 2019, 09:09:56 am »

What second tier ships do people like? When using Red, I really liked how the Scorpion allowed for a quick exit from all positions and allowed for fast missions with how hostiles could spawn close. This time, I'm taking Grey with the Jellyfish, but I'm iffy on it. It's interesting how it has some great attack vantage points from the windows, but it has a lousy real population of six (the seventh is locked in position) and I'm not quite sure what's up with the bit in the description of ability to operate a mystic weapon.

Edit: Welp, that's resolved, courtesy of the below post; totally didn't think to check the floor. Now to figure out how to actually use that thing.

Have you tried the Shadowbat? It's a secondary for Grey that has exits in the wings, allowing for snipers. Holds 9, zombies and dogs don't like it, and you can safely scope out the majority of a map and sneak back inside without really worrying about turn-1 reaction fire (you just spin and go back down the ladder).

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 18, 2019, 10:05:13 am »

Shadowbat is cool. Intersting for night missions, since it lights up a huge area around the landing zone, letting you easily spot and pick off nearby enemies.
Of course, that becomes a bit of a liability when you need to cross the light yourself to get to farther away enemies.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 152