Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 223166 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #945 on: August 24, 2019, 10:49:23 am »

I've been training my gals up with portable las-chargers or self-chargers if I've got them and stun batons. The lasers do some damage, but will take a lot of shots to kill anyone. That's good because shooting more means more training, dead people are bad hostages, and I'm not exactly wasting ammo. The stun batons means my reactions are 100+ on anyone who's been on a few missions, so they're doing 40 damage each hit, and ignoring 25% armor.

Then I shot down a star god fighter. Sudoku blades are based on melee and reactions as well, so I took down a waspite in one shot, and was able to injure the guardian enough to capture it. Blades took down the blue shields and did minor damage first. So, apparently good stats means small numbers of enemies are mildly disappointing instead of unbeatable.

And I think fire is real good against shields. An incendiary grenade/willie pete should soften up the tank's shields nicely, considering it should hit the tank 4 times.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: August 24, 2019, 01:40:41 pm »

But that one is so easy if you have rocket launchers or something similar!
It is also a variation of Jack's Lokk saving missions, so I doubt there was an uber.
I actually just got the nazi tank, and the rocket launcher doesn't seem to be doing much. Over 5 rockets, I noted two actual hits, where the damage roll was high enough to pierce some armor. At four potential hits per rocket, that's a fairly terrible rate.
Also tried:
High explosive, did nothing.
A gal with 80 strength and a hammer at close range, couldn't get through the exterior hull and I couldn't find a way to attack the turret directly.
Other explosive weapons, like the T-T grenade launcher and the quad rocket launcher, but those are lower damage than the regular rocket launcher so I'm not sure why I even tried.
I have a golden rifle that supposedly strips armor, that I haven't tried yet, but I'm thinking I'll load an earlier save either way. I want to bring a brainer gal to see the actual armor values.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: August 24, 2019, 01:48:55 pm »

I've been training my gals up with portable las-chargers or self-chargers if I've got them and stun batons. The lasers do some damage, but will take a lot of shots to kill anyone. That's good because shooting more means more training, dead people are bad hostages, and I'm not exactly wasting ammo. The stun batons means my reactions are 100+ on anyone who's been on a few missions, so they're doing 40 damage each hit, and ignoring 25% armor.

Then I shot down a star god fighter. Sudoku blades are based on melee and reactions as well, so I took down a waspite in one shot, and was able to injure the guardian enough to capture it. Blades took down the blue shields and did minor damage first. So, apparently good stats means small numbers of enemies are mildly disappointing instead of unbeatable.

And I think fire is real good against shields. An incendiary grenade/willie pete should soften up the tank's shields nicely, considering it should hit the tank 4 times.

Really depends on the shields. They are all strong against different stuff.

Any melee weapon which uses 12 or fewer TUs trains reactions.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: August 24, 2019, 01:59:31 pm »

Just a reminder that Hot Pursuits - which can show up almost immediately - are extremely lucrative as long as you have the gear for them. I just did one that netted me ~$4.5m for... two turns of fighting? Three max, but I think two. And since you're going to go in geared to survive fire, the pitiful 5 or so imps are not going to hurt you all that much. So long as you have gear (either a sealed suit of some sort, the ever-popular Looter, or in a pinch Smokey, although I wouldn't recommend it) and don't stand next to pipes, it's basically money in exchange for a few days recovery from minor smoke and burn injuries.

Reason #9234 to rush Looting Gear.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: August 24, 2019, 02:13:11 pm »

Against gold or purple shields, sure, but a Willie Pete probably isn't worth using against a blue shielded tank: It's a 2x2 so it'll take the extra hits, but it should still lose out against the innate 75% reduction.

In other news, it took 10 gals rushing the same tank in one turn to down one of the bloody things.

Spoiler: "My haul." (click to show/hide)

Edit: So I just realized (courtesy of reaction fire)... that if you're too lazy to bother blowing up the barn (with a single barrel...) and don't care about Zaxx tokens, you can just shoot the guy and still get a sizeable infamy boost from collecting everything on the map.

And is more stuff resistant to daze or electric? I was looking at the numbers, and a trained gal does about 7.7daze/tu with a slaver's cane and 6.5-7.2elec/tu(+25%pene) with a stun prod. The former does more damage per hit though, which should help cancel out the armor penetration if I understand how it works properly.

Not that I needed her anymore, but I had a Young Uber walk on board my ship in the middle of a mission. So out of sheer curiosity, I tried taking off with her on board. Turns out, it counts as a casualty. =(
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 02:33:56 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: August 24, 2019, 02:39:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: August 25, 2019, 09:15:16 pm »

You're getting consistently intercepted?  Almost sounds like the enemy built a base right next to yours, which would be some lousy luck.  I recently lost my full turtle to a hidden base that it happened to fly over - I reloaded, of course, because screw that noise. 

I even have a hunter-killer of my own (basic and half-armed but still) which was useless against theirs, but at least was able to pinpoint the base's location by patrolling nearby.  Sidenote, going "around" the base will get you to the mission... but after the mission you have no control over the ship, so it couldn't avoid the enemy base on the return trip.  So I just had to skip or set out from a different base.

Three enemy bases currently up, and the point drain is more noticeable than I had previously remembered.  I checked and IIRC it's like 300 or 400 each.  With a couple of months of buildup I could probably fill an Expedition with Veterans in tac suits and heavy dakka + vibro swords, and maybe have a decent shot at taking them down a peg.  In the past I've grabbed VIPs and ran, but not with this fighter cover...  To make this work at all I'm going to have to sacrifice a fighter to lure their interceptor away, and even then it might finish my expedition off if it doesn't despawn.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 25, 2019, 09:17:34 pm »

Is there a base or something on the map? I didn't have a problem with getting intercepted unless there was one I didn't clear and happened to fly by. Which lead to me taking really weird routes for a month until I finished some key research for some major weapon upgrades.

Also: It took me even longer to get airballs, because I basically skipped all explosive munitions beyond black powder bombs for some reason. Though I did manage to find and equipment 25mm cannons pretty early.

And how the hell do you get your gals out of voodoo school? They seem to be permanently enrolled. I've been training the wrong units for three months.

How did I miss a 254% accuracy shot? (And it's not an LoS thing-- long open corridor. And the second shot hit.)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 11:15:25 pm by Aoi »
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: August 25, 2019, 10:22:55 pm »

No idea about voodoo school (or voodoo stuff in general honestly) but here's how enemy bases work:  They aren't visible on the map until you either "patrol" a craft nearby (quickly revealing nearby bases, probably based on the craft's radar) or sometimes get one revealed for free at the end of the month from "rumors".  The classic way to discover them is to watch where a supply ship lands, but you still need to patrol nearby to actually get the map marker.

So to see if there's a base next to yours, you'd want to set a craft to patrol right after launching.  Or pass a month or two on speedup to get it revealed by rumors.  (then reload presumably, or hell, restart...  It's not technically game over but it certainly means no launching from that base for a long time).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: August 26, 2019, 01:12:51 am »

Voodoo School : you should be able to access It at the beginning of the month. Just click on the base name when the school pop up comes.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: August 26, 2019, 01:20:11 am »

Thanks for the pointers, by having TRUCKS idle outside my base, I've found that the enemy is literally a skip and a hop from my base. I've gotten away with just avoiding whatever encounters crossed its path, but since it's so close, I might be able to rush the base with TRUCKS or something before I get shot up.

Guess I pack a bunch of pyro cannonballs, rush the base, and save every turn, eh?
A lot of high-rank enemies are pretty near immune to fire, so you'll need other options besides pyro cannonballs. Do you know which faction it is?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: August 26, 2019, 04:06:33 am »

Voodoo School : you should be able to access It at the beginning of the month. Just click on the base name when the school pop up comes.

Yeah... ultimately, the problem was that I thought I was training a specific set of four gals... for three months; turns out, I was training a set of different gals.  ::)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 26, 2019, 09:23:32 am »

And is more stuff resistant to daze or electric? I was looking at the numbers, and a trained gal does about 7.7daze/tu with a slaver's cane and 6.5-7.2elec/tu(+25%pene) with a stun prod. The former does more damage per hit though, which should help cancel out the armor penetration if I understand how it works properly.

Looking at high-end enemies: Academy, church, traders/marsec, and government are less resistant to daze. Star Gods and Mercenaries are less resistant to electricity.

It also depends on how armored the enemy is. I think stun batons max out at 40 damage, and 48 on Lok'Naars. The armor penetration normally means I start having difficulties doing any damage around 50-60 armor. It looks like Slaver's Cane has a better 85 damage max. I'd go cane for more armored enemies. 10% damage to health means it shouldn't accidentally kill anyone in one hit, but you might send someone into overstun.

Edit: Oh, and how do I get them? Wiki doesn't mention them in the Black Market page.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 07:10:41 pm by Iduno »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 26, 2019, 09:34:56 am »

In a Mutant Suppression I had to reload the shooty gun of my assault bike for the first time. :D

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: August 27, 2019, 12:56:06 am »

Looking at high-end enemies: Academy, church, traders/marsec, and government are less resistant to daze. Star Gods and Mercenaries are less resistant to electricity.

It also depends on how armored the enemy is. I think stun batons max out at 40 damage, and 48 on Lok'Naars. The armor penetration normally means I start having difficulties doing any damage around 50-60 armor. It looks like Slaver's Cane has a better 85 damage max. I'd go cane for more armored enemies. 10% damage to health means it shouldn't accidentally kill anyone in one hit, but you might send someone into overstun.

Edit: Oh, and how do I get them? Wiki doesn't mention them in the Black Market page.

Slaver's Canes? You can craft them after you get Slavery and basic Aqua Plastic melee weapons researched. It's pretty easy to get the AP weapons done early if you do the first half of a Devil's Reef mission. (The second half kind of sucks... though I heard it's currently bugged and lets you use non-aquatic weapons.)

A major downside to the canes is that it's a 2x2 item, as opposed to the 1x2 of the prod, so you can't hold it in your quickdraw slot.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 152