Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 224947 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #960 on: August 27, 2019, 01:12:17 am »

I do like slaver's canes and cutlasses, the 2x2 is a disadvantage but most outfits have an appropriate slot.  I've been swinging (heh) towards electric whips, though, this run.

Still love stun prods, though, because yeah they fit in the quickdraw slot.  And electric is sometimes more effective than a simple handle.  And they are completely safe... Ignoring overstun, which is rare, because they hit rapidly rather than hard.  Which means a bunch of reactions XP with the melee XP.

Though that's why I'm gravitating towards electric whips and similar options - I'm not facing the guild power-armor just yet, but I'm pretty sure it'll shrug off such things.  Stupid DR.  Vibro swords, on the other hand...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: August 27, 2019, 01:44:55 am »

The good thing about the handle is that it also does HP damage so the enemies don't get up so quickly if at all.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: August 27, 2019, 02:24:48 am »

I don't really like the electric lasso because of how it requires 2h and has a hefty TU cost on top of that. Though, it hits incredibly hard for a (fairly short) ranged weapon without ammo concerns for how early you can get it. I got some pretty good use out of it on my last file, but my entire squad was highly trained in throwing, unlike my current batch.

Has anybody done the Siberia base? I'm wondering if it's worth bothering with; it looks like it's the humanist version of a base assault, which is pretty much one of the weakest factions out there... if not for those tanks. THOSE TANKS. I walk out of my ship and there's three of them fanned out in front of me. Nope'd my way right out of there, since my initial loadout was designed for anti-personnel, not that mess.

I'm thinking that some kind of a laser/plasma shotgun might be the way to go to deal with them in short order?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: August 27, 2019, 03:54:08 am »

Speaking of electric weapons, I'm having a hard time finding a use case for the electric net and the shock'a'fist. The former is like an electric lasso, only more so - more damage, but also more throwing skill required to use it effectively, and a higher TU cost. The latter just seems to completely vaporize enemies. I was expecting it to be non-lethal, or at least less lethal, but instead what happens is that there isn't even a corpse left.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: August 27, 2019, 05:30:24 am »

I don't really like the electric lasso because of how it requires 2h and has a hefty TU cost on top of that. Though, it hits incredibly hard for a (fairly short) ranged weapon without ammo concerns for how early you can get it. I got some pretty good use out of it on my last file, but my entire squad was highly trained in throwing, unlike my current batch.

Has anybody done the Siberia base? I'm wondering if it's worth bothering with; it looks like it's the humanist version of a base assault, which is pretty much one of the weakest factions out there... if not for those tanks. THOSE TANKS. I walk out of my ship and there's three of them fanned out in front of me. Nope'd my way right out of there, since my initial loadout was designed for anti-personnel, not that mess.

I'm thinking that some kind of a laser/plasma shotgun might be the way to go to deal with them in short order?

I noped out my first time as well.
The second time I came back with tons of mini-nukes and just burned the surface of the map away.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: August 27, 2019, 06:39:28 am »

Shock'a'Fist doesn't vaporize the enemy all the time, I like it. Sometimes you stunn people, and it can stun machines as well. I don't like the net (and for a time I had almost everyone equipped with the lassos, those are nice).

If you have emp mini bombs and a way to launch them tanks are a joke. Mininukes work well as well. You'll want the Russian Files from the base.
Did you see the super soldiers, btw?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: August 27, 2019, 02:55:05 pm »

If you have emp mini bombs and a way to launch them tanks are a joke. Mininukes work well as well. You'll want the Russian Files from the base.
Did you see the super soldiers, btw?

I entirely forgot EMP weaponry existed...

I did a halfhearted attempt of the map before reloading to the start, taking potshots at a few guys for kill infamy and just leaving; on the way, I saw two supersoldiers and they dropped to two and three gauss rounds each, so I didn't think much of them.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: August 27, 2019, 04:31:29 pm »

Yeah those supersoldiers are a major pain in the butt on that map, because there's like no cover at the start.  I'm pretty sure their night vision is heavily augmented, too.  I think I *will* use a mini nuke on it when I get the opportunity, just to get some breathing room.

As for tanks, I surprised one on a pogrom yesterday near my ship.  Hit it in the back with a panzerfaust, it crumpled.  Big blast radius on the panzerfaust, which is good and bad heh.  I don't know whether hitting it in the back actually mattered since I think explosions always affect underarmor.  Even if it does bonus damage on impact, I think most of the damage came from the blast (2x2 entities take like quadruple damage since each tile registers a hit).

I don't usually carry launchers but I had a strong gal on lasso duty, so I stuffed three panzerfausts in her backpack "for emergencies".  Paid off fast :D
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: August 27, 2019, 06:19:44 pm »

Oh, and don't do City Raid missions with a pure Uber-gal team. Or at least save before you do; I found the result rather... amusing.

...or make sure your Gals are all wearing Looter. This is less amusing but more practical as Looter will go anywhere but space.

I just found an exception to this-- the mission Terminal Terror (which is a terrestrial mission) allows only Mud and Chains, as far as Ubers are concerned. This is going to be interesting.

Also: Clerks and Corrupt Clerks are different units, despite how the HTML Bootypedia doesn't show Corrupt Clerks.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:52:32 pm by Aoi »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: August 27, 2019, 07:48:16 pm »

Incidentally, holosuits also work for city raids. I had a weirdly compact one with a sort of giant U-shaped building yesterday.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: August 28, 2019, 01:27:16 am »

Panzerfaust blast radius only looks big during the explosion. It is actually very small so Panzerfaust can be used indoors despite the arcing.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: August 28, 2019, 11:33:19 am »

On a note of precisely opposite polarity, there's a number of grenades which have explosions which are visually smaller than their actual blast radius, as I recently discovered the hard way. Overall moral is not to put too much trust in the explosion graphic.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: August 28, 2019, 11:40:22 am »

Yeah, the Panzerfaust explosion I saw barely missed a gal. Given the name, I'm not surprised it's a more tank/armored car-sized explosion.

It is actually very small so Panzerfaust can be used indoors despite the arcing.

And if you're one of the spartans, any explosive can be used indoors, at point blank range, to destroy any hostages and loot around.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: August 28, 2019, 12:54:36 pm »

February 2604 - I win the Air Race for the first time in this run.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: August 28, 2019, 01:20:34 pm »

February 2604 - I win the Air Race for the first time in this run.

Yeah, the "mission" as a prize for that is weird and great.  I guess I could follow the advice in the newbie faq on the wiki, and buy the airspeeder when it shows up for that purpose, but the missions aren't common enough to be worth planning for specifically.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 152