Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 151

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 215041 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 10:51:40 pm »

The devs have said that they plan to work on TFTD after open xcom hits 1.0 as the proof of concept of the modding framework.

Also just had a look at the OpenXcom site to see what had changed since I last looked a little after 0.9 was released(inventory stacking and the memorial seem to be the biggest changes), and it seems that some third parties have successfully ported it to android and also to run in a web browser.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 03:59:19 am »

By far the most important option is the one that allows you to build your first base in a secure, competent, and SANE, layout.

Having played a large part of a campaign using this option, I think I'm going to start intentionally designing my bases badly.  If you're already winning the overall war then chokepoints can turn base defense missions into a loot collecting chore.  And I already have small scout missions for that XD

I mean sure the aliens could wreck a well defended base using psionics.  But psi is bullshit.  So that doesn't count for much.  Also the dropping of the weapons would counter that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 04:08:51 am »

By far the most important option is the one that allows you to build your first base in a secure, competent, and SANE, layout.

Having played a large part of a campaign using this option, I think I'm going to start intentionally designing my bases badly.  If you're already winning the overall war then chokepoints can turn base defense missions into a loot collecting chore.  And I already have small scout missions for that XD

I mean sure the aliens could wreck a well defended base using psionics.  But psi is bullshit.  So that doesn't count for much.  Also the dropping of the weapons would counter that.
Plus if you use the "weapons self-destruct if alien dies" option, you're going to have to resort to less conventional tactics if you want the loot.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 05:02:45 am »

Plus if you use the "weapons self-destruct if alien dies" option, you're going to have to resort to less conventional tactics if you want the loot.
At that point I'd probably start alternating between stun bombs and heavy laser depending on how clustered the aliens are.  I switch out rockets for small launchers once I have them, so it wouldn't be that big a difference once I've done my research and such.

That option would make getting established much harder though.  Once you get stun bombs it shouldn't be that different, minus the greatly reduced income.  If you're having trouble with that option, try this: find a large scout that had its engine detonate on impact.  Kneel a soldier with a small launcher on the door, smoke them, then position soldiers with motion sensors on either side of the hull.  Bam, shooting gallery, and you get to keep all the loot.  Just remember to kill any aliens near the door with your standard guns.

On a more general topic is it just me or did they mess with the numbers to make it impossible to gain money using engineers?  Its hard to tell but it looks like even though you can make money on individual items you'll lose money at the end month due to salaries.  Then again I haven't researched heavy lasers and that's apparently the best selling item.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 05:15:57 am »

At that point I'd probably start alternating between stun bombs and heavy laser depending on how clustered the aliens are.  I switch out rockets for small launchers once I have them, so it wouldn't be that big a difference once I've done my research and such.

That option would make getting established much harder though.  Once you get stun bombs it shouldn't be that different, minus the greatly reduced income.  If you're having trouble with that option, try this: find a large scout that had its engine detonate on impact.  Kneel a soldier with a small launcher on the door, smoke them, then position soldiers with motion sensors on either side of the hull.  Bam, shooting gallery, and you get to keep all the loot.  Just remember to kill any aliens near the door with your standard guns.

On a more general topic is it just me or did they mess with the numbers to make it impossible to gain money using engineers?  Its hard to tell but it looks like even though you can make money on individual items you'll lose money at the end month due to salaries.  Then again I haven't researched heavy lasers and that's apparently the best selling item.
They gave you the option to auto-sell production though, so if you have nothing to make for your troops, building and selling laser rifles beats letting the engineers sit idle.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:19:26 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 11:05:45 am »

Does anybody have a download link for the android version? I looked and can't find it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 11:33:48 am »

Does anybody have a download link for the android version? I looked and can't find it.
Looked in the wrong place then. It's not complete. http://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,150.0.html

In other news, playing with self-destructing alien weapons is actually pretty fun. Less money, sure, but it changes your tactics significantly. Live captures remain a priority even after you've captured the most important aliens, and the small launcher is harder to procure.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 01:20:59 pm »

I should pick this up.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 04:02:56 am »

More other news. Some experimentation using my Windows 8 tablet show that, thanks to its classic 320x200 resolution and the resulting huge buttons (and huge everythings), coupled with some new improvements courtesy of OpenXCom, the old X-COM:UFO Defense game is perfectly suited to pure tablet playing.

In a window, of course. The onscreen keyboard is a tap away for base names and the occasional confirmation (SupSuper responded positively to my request for a "save game" button on the save screen), and the rest handles perfectly with touch controls. Geoscape rotates easily with onscreen controls or long taps, all menu items and buttons are hard to miss, battlescape works wonderfully with drag-scroll and path-preview (using double-tap to move), etc. All this game needs is a built-in popup keyboard for text entry and it can be safely ported to any tablet OS, and played fullscreen.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 10:10:18 am »

I've heard from people it's still a little awkward for phone sized screens, but yeah, strangely enough, the old XCOM gui ports relatively well to modern touch screens with minor convenience features added.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2014, 12:36:58 pm »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2014, 02:37:26 pm »

Unfortunately in doing so it broke drag scroll for touchscreen systems.

Edit: and sure, as soon as I complain about it elsewhere, the devs finally notice my bugreport and make a fix. I should do that more often. :P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 02:45:23 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2014, 02:54:56 pm »

OpenXcom has oe of my favourite Xcom mods availble.
I mean the Piratez mod i suggest everyone should try.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2014, 02:58:40 pm »

Huh. I should check this out. Also, reading the comments about the aliens being ready to fire the moment the ramp drops reminded me of the opening battle scene in Saving Private Ryan.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2014, 03:36:08 pm »

I always found myself getting brutalized even on easiest difficulty.  I learned a few tricks, namely to throw smoke bombs, and to deploy troops around the 'ranger's ramp in a slightly spread pattern, facing all directions.  If the ranger parks near a map edge, as it's often wont to do, then reposition those soldiers into better firing arcs.  After 10-15 turns, most things die to reaction fire from my troops, and at 20 I'm usually sitting by the UFO's door waiting for them to come out.

The problem I always have, is that aliens seem to have 1 more tile of sight than soldiers.  I've lost SO MANY soldiers, even with full TU and high reaction, because an alien was somehow invisible and taking pot shots that one-shot a guy in flying armor from the front.  I quit playing, because I don't know how you're supposed to defend against something that's invisible and instantly fatal.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 151