Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 151

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 215084 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #255 on: April 15, 2019, 04:37:29 pm »

I've heard that there's not in-game setting which fixes the overflowed entries, but they've been reported as bugs.  The text is all in \user\mods\Piratez\Language\en_US.yml but be careful of spoilers, it contains *all* the text.

Some melee weapons, like the hammer, are technically ranged weapons with very short ranges (often just 1).  This is mechanically allows them to be fired at walls like a gun.  It should just work, but ctrl-click forces the unit to attack even if the "shot" is "blocked".  Can be very useful with actual guns.

A downside to these weapons like the hammer and chainsaw is that enemies who evade firearms in melee (which is pretty much everything, and they're all pretty great at the roll) will evade the blows.  I don't think melee skill even reduces their evasion chance, it's based on their own stats (IIRC).  Apparently the hammer is decent against armored cars though, so I heard.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 15, 2019, 05:50:27 pm »

By the same token, never use the sledgehammer or chainsaw if you have allies in close proximity. If you botch the attack roll with those weapons it can easily redirect the attacks on your friends. In the case of a multi-attack weapon like the chainsaw, it can be absolutely devastating.

Not that I'm speaking from personal experience or anything.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 15, 2019, 05:59:33 pm »

With the sledge you should be attacking from the back, even if you weren't already for some reason. Halving the enemy evasion is pretty damn handy for helping to crack some skulls.

I've got a decent number of hours in my current campaign. Not encountered any armoured cars, though... Demons, zombies and chyrssalids, yes.

That said I'm currently slightly salty because one of my bases was attacked and automatically lost because none of the buildings had finished building, so it was impossible for me to garrison it.

Gaaah.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 16, 2019, 04:20:16 pm »

Decided to make a completely new run with the new version to go in a different way regarding researches (mostly to have access to male soldiers as previously i went with the Gals-only research that blocked the other path).

And i was suprised to very early get on a landed small ufo an enemy that was incredibly resilient in my previous run, a "Church Matron"
As i'm rather early, i wasn't really expecting my domestic shotgun with recently acquired frag grenade to be helpful (as last time i encountered one she was tanking stronger weapons) .
And still, managed to wound her enough to bring her down, but lucky (as she's highly resilient anyways) it didn't killed her so i could finally interrogate my first Church Matron, probably going to be usefull down the research line.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 17, 2019, 04:21:28 pm »

I have thought that no one will willigly start this thing from scratch after making at least somewhat signifacant progress. You have proved me wrong.

On the other note, i don't quite understand how grenades work in combination with posession. I throwed hellerium grenade set to 0 (i think) under the feet of mercenary engineer, then tried to posess him and it worked. So i picked up grenade, put it in his hand and sent him to suicide bomb himself on some more mercs. He didn't explode at the end of my turn and get shot at. I didn't see if he exploded at the end of their turn, but in two turns the very same merc engineer has come to my hidey hole in the enemy base lift from the other side, hellerium grenade visibly in hand, then threw said grenade down there. So, ugh. When it should have exploded?

PS. For Capatains Obvious: I do realize that i should have just out it on the ground.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 17, 2019, 07:14:18 pm »

I can't remember if it's an original X-com feature or openXcom addition, but some explosives don't count down while in hand. The soldier is holding the safety lever.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 17, 2019, 09:18:14 pm »

It was in X-COM too, sorta makes the timer option even less useful for 99.9% of cases. There are one or two explosives which *will* count down when in inventory, but I think it's just actual fricken nukes. The pedia warns.

You can even right-click explosives in the pre-battle inventory to prime them. Even grenades in the backpack are "safe"... and they save a lot of time... just don't fall down (;

Aside, molotovs and grenade-launchers have the benefit of exploding instantly rather than end-of-turn.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 17, 2019, 09:41:18 pm »

Primed grenades in inventory: A vaccine against chryssalid zombification?
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 20, 2019, 05:08:41 pm »

In general terms (since telling it in non general terms will take quite a while  :P) - what do i need to do to get E511 to fuel spaceships? It's rather weird, but spaceships are available for sell, and fuel apparently is not.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 20, 2019, 05:11:23 pm »

It's Hellerium, and you can produce it yourself as long as you have an Extractor building.

Ships either use Hellerium, Chemicals, or are free battery-powered.

E: That's for xpiratez.

Bases game, you can only get Elerium by stealing it from the aliens through raiding ships and bases.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 20, 2019, 05:31:02 pm »

Yep, there's even an old popular tip to "never sell elerium" since it has a lot of potential uses and getting it is somewhat luck-dependent. I'm pretty sure all ships have it (maybe not the weird 1 tile scout heh) but destroying their engines destroys it. IIRC you can often get it from crashed UFOs if an engine survives, but landed are a better bet.

A funny but probably overkill strategy is to intentionally leave an alien base alive in order to raid the supply ships that periodically land predictably. No dogfight necessary and plenty of loot, but they are defended.

Of course in X-Piratez hellerium is over abundant and directly producable heh, it's even pretty close to grog-profitable if you don't have a still there.  Supply ships are still predictable and profitable, but hard coded to have 2-4 absolute asshats with legit MININUKE "mortars". So uh go at night and scout carefully, or be ready for *reaction fire* which makes blaster bombs look like molotovs. Wouldn't be piratez if it were a cake walk, heh...
She/they

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 20, 2019, 05:32:28 pm »

I am surprised you all skip the first pogrom--I make sure it is nighttime and go in with the aim not of winning, but of cornering and killing a few soldiers and taking their guns. With those guns, I either fly home or escalate and kill more soldiers using their own weapons (especially if I find a grenade launcher or something).
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 20, 2019, 05:42:26 pm »

I never found humanist pogroms all that difficult (playing on medium though, to be fair) - the basic dudes in KKK hoods aren't much better if not slightly worse than the mutants they're trying to purge.

Military police are slightly more trouble early on but a sledge to the back of the skull sorts them, as it does most things.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 20, 2019, 05:58:00 pm »

I tried to visit my first pogrom. The first "hidden phase" went on for several minutes, filled with gunfire, explosions, and screams. When I finally regained control there was an armored car looking directly through my Airbus' windshield.

I got the hell out. My blackpowder firearms and sabers wouldn't have done much good in that situation.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 20, 2019, 06:06:03 pm »

Good call, yeah.  Humanists are nice targets in that they (mostly) don't have real armor.  So you can hurt them, even if they hurt you back.

But then sometimes they have an armored car (or WORSE) which is absurdly resilient to arms fire.  Supposedly willie-petes are goodish, and explosives are technically great against multitile foes, but it takes quite a few frag grenades.  Particularly with bad luck.  I got... seriously annoyed the first time I met an armored car, because beyond being largely invincible they can absolutely kill 3-6 gals easily in a single turn.  I'm not sure how anyone plays this game ironman, heh.  I certainly accept losses, but sometimes I just undo missions which I... wasn't prepared for.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 151