Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 224682 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #405 on: May 05, 2019, 06:11:39 pm »

Posting to watch since this appears to be at least in part a discussion of X-Piratez, and I've been meaning to get back into that game for a bit now.

On a related note, has anyone tried out the X-Com Files mod? It has a few things in common with X-Piratez (More involved dosh management, super wide weapon variety that includes melee weapons, start from the bottom,) but with more sunglasses and fewer boobies.

EDIT: Also, is using weapons like the Hammer or Chainsaw as weapons still a questionable idea or not? Or is that dependent on things like facing and a gal's melee accuracy?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 05, 2019, 06:28:39 pm »

On a related note, has anyone tried out the X-Com Files mod?
I tried it a year or two ago, and got up to the point where the original game started started. I enjoyed it and plan to replay it one day.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 05, 2019, 06:43:40 pm »

EDIT: Also, is using weapons like the Hammer or Chainsaw as weapons still a questionable idea or not? Or is that dependent on things like facing and a gal's melee accuracy?
They seem to use the gun rules for hitting, so are really inaccurate at melee range (unlike the whip which can hit at two tiles away). A hammer is really useful for tower missions, and being able to rip through walls more generally gives a lot more tactical range.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 06, 2019, 10:09:32 am »

They seem to use the gun rules for hitting, so are really inaccurate at melee range (unlike the whip which can hit at two tiles away). A hammer is really useful for tower missions, and being able to rip through walls more generally gives a lot more tactical range.

Not entirely sure if this is a feature or a bug, but have you tried punching first?

If the same gal punches with an empty hand immediate before trying something aimable, that seems to exhaust the evasion check.  8 TU (6 if Martial Arts) is a cheap action with a hand that should already be empty.  I use it routinely with my saw gals and martial artists, and head canon it as a jab combo.

As an added bonus, you'll be surprised how many times the punch alone from a good melee gal will KO a character.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 06, 2019, 10:14:11 am »

I think I've mentioned in this thread how valuable I find the hammer as a weapon against chunky foes, though I haven't ever actually tried the chainsaw.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 06, 2019, 11:50:21 am »

I definitely recall reading in the bootypedia about how holding an item in one hand will make punching/martial arts/wrestling less accurate, with wrestling taking the biggest accuracy penalty.

But yeah, punching. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Would trying to get fistycuffs or the like early on to augment punching power be a good idea or no? Aside from the fact that pulling out weapons takes valuable time units.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 06, 2019, 01:33:32 pm »

I think I've mentioned in this thread how valuable I find the hammer as a weapon against chunky foes, though I haven't ever actually tried the chainsaw.

If you get the research for it and have gone the Gold Codex, try the Loli chainsaw. It gets some pretty hefty bonus damage based off the bravery stat, and you have a +100 bravery outfit. So that's, like, +40 damage. With auto-fire.

Might be worthwhile not all standing in a group around that one :)
It's a game. Have fun.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 06, 2019, 02:02:20 pm »

I think I went the Grey codex this run. The conversion launcher is pretty handy.

I was very tempted to go with Gold, but at the time I had a lot of money so didn't see it as a priority.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 06, 2019, 05:47:36 pm »

Some of the city tilesets are way too elaborate, the worst part about X-piratez is looking for three enemies split among dozen three-story apartment buildings.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 06, 2019, 08:13:23 pm »

Too bad the bug hunt settings are global, if they could be adjusted depending on the tileset it could be very helpfull in those super annoying situations, so complex tilesets could have it triggering earlier than normal.
Maybe it's possible but i have no idea on how to do that anyways.

Now as a workaround if you're finding some tilesets makes for too much annoying battles, you can try to enable bughunt earlier so it can help a lot in convulated tilesets , the settings
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_Nightly_(OpenXcom)#Surrendering.2C_Bughunt
are located in the Piratez.rul file (editable with any text editor like notepad++) that is found in ...\Dioxine_XPiratez\user\mods\Piratez\Ruleset\

By default the bug hunt settings :
Code: [Select]
bughuntMinTurn: 15
bughuntMaxEnemies: 2
bughuntRank: 0 # commanders are VIPs
bughuntLowMorale: 70
bughuntTimeUnitsLeft: 35
Something to try
Code: [Select]
bughuntMinTurn: 10
bughuntMaxEnemies: 5
bughuntRank: -1 # commanders are VIPs
bughuntLowMorale: 70
bughuntTimeUnitsLeft: 0
the -1 for the bughuntrank is to still have the bug hunt triggering if there's a ranked alien (as apparently by default if there's a ranked alien, no bug hunt happens)
i'm unsure about the bughunttimeuniteleft if 0 makes it so happening everytime or only if an alien is stuck (and so use 0TU)

I have no idea if it can be done by mod overriding the default values as it should be ideal (assuming you can enable/disable it at will without breaking a save), but at least it seems to work if editing the Piratez.rul itself from a quick test i did in which i had the bug hunt happening at +/- turn 12 and there were 3 aliens left (as by default it can only happen if there's 2 alien left)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:15:47 pm by Robsoie »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 06, 2019, 08:17:23 pm »

Fakedit:  Wow I just got ninja'd hard, ha.  Stop killing Lokk'nars, Robsoie!
Some of the city tilesets are way too elaborate, the worst part about X-piratez is looking for three enemies split among dozen three-story apartment buildings.
Yeah those three-story apartment buildings are definitely the worst.  Personally I fiddled with the bug-hunt settings a bit, just to make sure it *always* triggers on turn 15 instead of being weirdly conditional.  Mostly for special missions where Dioxine makes a "riddle" of hiding an enemy or two in unreachable places, but it can help on normal missions as well.

bughuntMinTurn: 15
bughuntMaxEnemies: 20
bughuntRank: -1 # commanders are VIPs
bughuntLowMorale: 100
bughuntTimeUnitsLeft: 0

(Edit the user\mods\Piratez\Ruleset\Piratez.rul file)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 07, 2019, 03:26:00 am »

So I have been playing piratez for almost a year ingame now, and I have some, mostly modding related issues.
1. Openxcom autoloads all ruleset files from a directory now (nothing in options.cfg). What is overloading order then? It seems doing changes in separate file inside piratez ruleset dir gets loaded correctly.
2. Is there any way to mod retaliation chances? I mean both, shotdown chance to retaliate and roll for current/interceptor base region target. I know 'difficultyCoefficient' affects both, but not in transparent way and having single option affecting half the things in game sucks. Also, how the f is having retaliation more often targeting interceptor base considered harder? If it was 100% you would only need to garrison interceptor bases (assuming no other bases in same region).
3. Do non-shotdown generated retaliations target the first available (not a target for other retaliation) base in order of build like original xcom?
4. Base defence missions are horrible early on. Mostly because of sewer level. My 3 tile base has entire sea underneath, which slows down movement and enemies apparently love to run to corner furthest away from actual base. I'm definitely modding not yet build tiles to have grates like security corridor before starting game again.
5. Attack dogs are apparently great at defending base from early doom enemies. Had 5 doggos in newly founded base. Only 1 died. It wasn't doom guy, it was doom dogs. Yes, really, huge TU pool with cheap, accurate attack and enough reactions to rape anything coming around corner is great against unarmored enemies.
6. My god, mercenaries. It must have been fun for them too to see bus landing in the middle of them and kidnap one with lassos. Could be a Firefly scene. They only had time to kill 2 trainee peasants in lottery-won (i think) defender armor. That armor is great for trainees if got early on. Recognise what weapons can hurt you. Get close to everything else with lowest damage and TU cost per shot (not projectile) weapons, either melee or SMG. Trains accuracies like crazy. Snipe those that hurt with those who passed training.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 04:25:23 am by lastverb »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 07, 2019, 07:38:01 am »

You'll probably find better responses and sources of info on these two discords if you want detailed modding info. Developers of these mods are pretty responsive, and there's plenty of people with knowledge there if you care to dig it out. You'll find some sources more forthcoming than others, but someone will usually have an answer to your question.

XPiratez: https://discord.gg/7f58BnS
The X-Com Files: https://discord.gg/RpUsJWX

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 07, 2019, 02:49:53 pm »

A bit of advice, in case someone wasn't aware:

You can heal enemies. And a live captive is usually worth more than a few medikit charges.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 07, 2019, 03:04:42 pm »

I've tried that a few times now, but often they wake up again and die when they're put down a second time.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 152