Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 151

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 215052 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #510 on: May 15, 2019, 05:21:19 pm »

While the flagship looks the same for every codex it has different carrying capacities for troops and auxiliaries. Other things to look out for: Fortuna (grey) can into space, both it and the Metallo (red) can go underwater (not sure about the other ones, maybe as well?)
Snake is good if you don't have the turtle but want to go to underwater missions. (Jellyfish can do that as well.)
Shadowbat makes the area directly around the ship dark and I think it gives some light a bit further away.
The Scarab is not much of a troop ship but early on it is a great destroyer like ship. Especially if you are lucky and get a good heavy weapon early on. I found a smuggler ship with gatling lasgun parts and I still use that weapon. It is a bit of a glass cannon though, so let some other ship take the punches.
The Scorpion looks a bit like a helicopter on the battlemap and the gals are single file (on two levels) on it. Hard to take cover in it, because there is only very little space. But it makes up to 3 or 4 enemies spawn closeby if the mission allows it, which can be a huge boon, especially if you just want to get some prisoner and dust off again. Also makes the bounty mission where you have to kill the hitman trivial and quick (but beware of the turn 1 reaction shots, best try to get a melee gal next to him).
Each codex gets three of these ships. None are really good at everything and each has a quirk or two.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 15, 2019, 05:25:22 pm »

The Shadowbat is... wonky, its main "feature" is that it doesn't have any lights.  This makes deployment safer, kinda.  I used it for Lokk'narrs for fluff, and usually deployed them through the wings to snipe stuff.
It has outward facing lights, leaving your gals on/below it in darkness (at night).
I like the Shadowbat, even though it has no room for tanks. Each of its two big wings starts with 3 gals and has a ladder you can pop out of to shoot, and then duck back down, with a nearly full field of view on top. No windows, and instead of doors it has stairs that conceal anyone inside.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 15, 2019, 08:46:33 pm »

Since the update, some pogroms after allying with Mutant Alliance show up as (freelance) and don't have the text about the infamy penalty. Does that mean they're optional?
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 15, 2019, 09:41:25 pm »

That's correct.  There's still a 100 pt penalty for ignoring it, which is true before the Alliance, but not the 1000 point penalty.
The Shadowbat is... wonky, its main "feature" is that it doesn't have any lights.  This makes deployment safer, kinda.  I used it for Lokk'narrs for fluff, and usually deployed them through the wings to snipe stuff.
It has outward facing lights, leaving your gals on/below it in darkness (at night).
I like the Shadowbat, even though it has no room for tanks. Each of its two big wings starts with 3 gals and has a ladder you can pop out of to shoot, and then duck back down, with a nearly full field of view on top. No windows, and instead of doors it has stairs that conceal anyone inside.
Thanks for the correction!  Yeah I wasn't remembering fully, just that it's was kinda weird.  But I guess all the shadowtech ships have unique quirks.  That's wild that the Scorpion includes enemy spawns!  I have access to the Worm this time, which apparently has 4 side doors which "Dispense hallucinogenic gas when approached".  Seems like a pretty solid transport, including an aux slot, but what a strange quirk!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 15, 2019, 11:21:22 pm »

Word of warning, Rolan:

The halluciogenic gas works like a landmine does - if a gal opens the door and steps through, they'll be affected by it too - and since this means the doors are open...

Yeah. Mass panic, literally.

It's usually better to step into the side areas (you know, next to the doors?) to trigger the mines before proceeding.

Once the gas mines have exploded, the resulting cloud is just like normal smoke - which helps with concealment.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 16, 2019, 10:13:46 am »

I am starting to get the feeling that this game would be easier if I could read x-com's armor information. I know that bigger armor numbers are better, but I don't know how that interacts with damage numbers on weapons (just a subtraction?). Also there are percentages for damage that I think might be what percent of the damage you take from that damage type, but resistance implies the opposite?

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 16, 2019, 10:35:18 am »

For most weapons the damage is multiplied by a random number between zero and two, then multiplied by the damage multiplier for the armor, and then the armor value is subtracted.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 16, 2019, 10:51:57 am »

By now it really depends on the weapon, and to be precise it is a percentage roll. 50-150%, 0-200% or 2x 0-100%, adjusted for range penalties for a few weapons/attacks.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 16, 2019, 10:52:49 am »

In vanilla X-Com:

RandomisedDamage[Wepon]=Wepon.BaseDamage*Random(0 to 2)
RandomisedDamage[Explosion]=Wepon.BaseDamage*Random(0.5 to 1.5)

HPDamage=(Randomised_damage*Armor.[Type]Vulnerability-(Armor.FacingPlate*Weapon.ArmorEffectivity))*Wepon.HPDamageMultipier
ArmorDamage=RoundUp(HPDamage/10)+Wepon.ArmorPreDamageMultipier*RandomisedDamage
Damage[Stat]=Weapon.[Stat]DamageMultiplier*HPDamage

Parts in red depend on optional wepon variables in OXCE. Modded wepons may have different randomized damage, which will be listed in info in their Ufopaedia entry.

Edit:
Armor.[Type]Vulnerability, Weapon.ArmorEffectivity, Wepon.HPDamageMultipier, Wepon.ArmorPreDamageMultipier, Weapon.[Stat]DamageMultiplier are percentils. The "%" sign means "/100", so if an armor has listed Kinetic.........80%, then Armor.KineticVulnerability is 0.8 .
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:57:53 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 16, 2019, 01:19:08 pm »

The really easy way (and totally incorrect way) to read it is:
Bullets and laser zaps and plasma splats=0-200%
Explosions and melee=50-150%

One has a huge modifier, one does reliable damage. Many weapons break this mould though, even ones you'd think wouldn't. So check your anal(ysis).

Armour gets subtracted from the amount rolled.

But remember, Resistance comes in *before* armour. Have a 120 damage mortar, hitting a 75% concussive damage resistant target, with 80 bottom armour?

The very (very) maximum damage it could do would be "120" damage=(180x.75)-80. So, 55 MAX damage, but with a huge spread between "doing damage, and not doing anything".

Since I tend to spruke Assault Cannons, and even using solid cannonballs against some armoured targets early-on, let's see the horrible maths for that. "80" damage=Max=(120x.75)-80. So 10. Ten f'ing damage against a tank. At the very best damage rolls.

Note, none of these things are entirely correct. It just points out how strong resistance is, as well as high armour values. Piercing is better, because at higher values it strips armour. But not if other stuff can do it better, or can do damage better, against that target, etc, etc. And why big lasers (that ignore 33%'ish armour, sometimes, depending on weapon) are a fair bit stronger than they look. And why a gal with the Gold Codex with an Officer's Outfit and an XG Assault is in a special place (25% TU, 100'ish piercing damage snaps). Basically, X-Piratez is weird. It has heaps of caveats and awesome stuff. Stat blah isn't one of them.

A mix of weapons will serve you well. Big damage is always nice though.

Big armour is amazing too. But resistance plays a massive part in what does/doesn't work. Always hit them where and how it hurts!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:36:32 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 16, 2019, 04:47:39 pm »

And when it doesn't work, apply armor shredding damage until it does. Miniguns and plasma.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 19, 2019, 09:04:22 pm »

Thank you, that makes sense. It's a bit more complicated that the 3-ish armors x-com had.

How do I get goblin zaxx tokens? Jack is super easy (spin the wheel!), mutant alliance is just doing missions, and I have 40 Goblin tokens from cleaning 2 basements.

I'm also curious what the WWII planes flying around are supposed to represent. They're real slow (around 100 speed), and never land.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:08:01 pm by Iduno »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 19, 2019, 09:16:53 pm »

Thank you, that makes sense. It's a bit more complicated that the 3-ish armors x-com had.

How do I get goblin zaxx tokens? Jack is super easy (spin the wheel!), mutant alliance is just doing missions, and I have 40 Goblin tokens from cleaning 2 basements.
Unfortunately spinning the wheel isn't *supposed* to give Jack tokens, that's a J14 bug that's fixed in J14A.  I thought basements gave more tokens than that, but you might not be trading in the "valuable coins".  They're like assassination trophies, and they do come from gambling.

For Jack coins you pretty much have to do the assassinations.  Particularly since higher-level coupons cost Jack tokens to redeem.  There is always the option of donating ridiculous amounts of money for tokens, but the exchange rate is very harsh.
I'm also curious what the WWII planes flying around are supposed to represent. They're real slow (around 100 speed), and never land.
They're necropirates.  They're jerks who eat zombies, kinda like canny gals but male and with (somewhat) better tech.  They're tough and deadly, I tend to ignore them.  Ignoring enemies is very possible in this game, as long as you keep researching things.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 19, 2019, 10:19:15 pm »

Today I learned that a lobsterman can take several plasma bolts, a dozen boarding gun shots and a whole minigun burst without going down.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 19, 2019, 10:41:01 pm »

I thought basements gave more tokens than that, but you might not be trading in the "valuable coins".  They're like assassination trophies, and they do come from gambling.

I haven't found out how to turn them in. I know the game told me to do so, but even after researching them, I don't have the option anywhere that I can find. I assumed it would be listed as redeem or something in the manufacturing list, but I don't see it.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 151