Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 224572 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #600 on: July 15, 2019, 08:10:52 pm »

Is the prison break B-level bounty winnable in the" beat everything on the map", or are there enemies hidden in the one part of the prison I can't readily enter? I ask mostly because I'm on turn 41, none of my hands have any meaningful amount of energy left, and those walls seem impenetrable. (Well, and because I'm a very greedy pirate queen who wants to loot, not rescue.)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 16, 2019, 01:18:05 am »

The "Imprisoned Raynerd" mission?

From what you said, I assume you managed to enter the prison itself. If not, you can fly in through the glass roof (need to break it first), or tunnel in through the dirt. Tunneling is possible, but I do not remember what the dirt requires to break. (I traditionaly used bombard or HE dropped by a tank.)
The goal is to rescue a specific prisoner (in the basement), but killing all the guards will also win it. The furries locked themselves in, but locked doors can be destroyed by High Explosive.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 16, 2019, 03:51:36 am »

Or you could use the usual breaking and entering tools like pickaxes. Mining Lasers are great for that once you have them.
Check the towers, there are usually 1-2 enemies in each.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 16, 2019, 08:22:43 am »

The "Imprisoned Raynerd" mission?

From what you said, I assume you managed to enter the prison itself. If not, you can fly in through the glass roof (need to break it first), or tunnel in through the dirt. Tunneling is possible, but I do not remember what the dirt requires to break. (I traditionaly used bombard or HE dropped by a tank.)
The goal is to rescue a specific prisoner (in the basement), but killing all the guards will also win it. The furries locked themselves in, but locked doors can be destroyed by High Explosive.

I assume that's the only way to free your gals in the first Dr. X base attack? The one where you're allowed any or all of the following: shivs, rags. I found a pickaxe, smashed open the first door, dropped it, had the freed gal smash open the next door, repeat. Then we went around punching Academy folks for their weapons (and also so they didn't attack us).

Also, black powder bombs are the best lockpicks when they are available (based on no evidence, but a lowered TU cost because you don't prime them - 45 vs 65). They are not, however, the best anti-tank weapon.

Edit to add joke: You can leave a map without taking all of the enemies as prisoners and stealing their loot? Why?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:24:48 am by Iduno »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 16, 2019, 03:10:05 pm »

I got in, yes. Blew barred tower windows so 2 gals in Hover could soften up the insiders while the rest sniped at tower furries and my bugeye grabbed everything it/she/he/xe/they could get its/her/his/xyr/their grubby little mind on to defenestrate for minesweeping duty. Tried to pick the walls (ha!) - tried to dynamite them and C4 them (ha?) - blew up enough dirt that I noticed I could go under what I couldn't go through, set a sapper to digging into the basement. Killed/KO'd everything we found. However, there's one 10x20 or so space off the bottom floor of the skylight room with no door and the same walls as the outer wall I couldn't blow/pick - that's what I was worried had hidden enemies. The other possibility is one stray guard snuck out an opened tower window, dodged the mines, and is running loose on the edge of the map. Or there's one outlier who snuck in behind my door-kickers and is laughing/snorting/yapping behind my back in a part of the prison I thought I cleared.

I'll sweep & clear again when I've time and energy to do a proper bughunt.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 16, 2019, 04:30:10 pm »

Playing J15 now, I'm enjoying some nice UI touches!  The damage type numbers being "color" coded in the BootyPedia, for example.  Though I'd prefer if they coded armor-predamage or lethality since the type is right there.  The new equipment categories like "2-H Precise Fire" are just great though.

The "mini cannon" is a nice gamestart bonus too.  Damage is nothing big, but the blast radius is handy.  Just need "Contacts: Merchants" for some more minibombs, and I see lots of fun alternate damage variants.

Barely into month 2 just now, I responded to a distress call but it was a fricken werewolf!  Fortunately by himself, but I only brought 1 hand and 4 peasants.  Thankfully I had a molotov ready.  He still eviscerated a peasant, but went insane on the next turn from the fire.  Managed to surround and bash him unconscious... which is quite a useful prize, eventually.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 16, 2019, 04:48:41 pm »

So, uh...how would one go about taking screenshots in Open X-com, if one were so inclined? Mine are just black screen.

Edit: That's using either F12 or print screen.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 04:54:08 pm by Iduno »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 16, 2019, 04:56:02 pm »

I just use Lightshot. No need to cut them in paint afterwards.  :P

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 16, 2019, 06:22:14 pm »

On one hand, I have never needed a program to take screenshots. On the other hand, my other option appears to use windowed mode like some sort of caveman.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 16, 2019, 10:27:48 pm »

You could use windowed and then expand the window?

Also, huh, you start with a minicannon too now?

Dang. Guess I'll have to try X-Piratez again sometime.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 16, 2019, 10:50:58 pm »

@Iduno:  Use Alt-Print screen to capture only the active window?
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 17, 2019, 12:46:52 am »

So I just started playing X-Piratez... but are there supposed to be maps that appear to be unable to completed early on? I'm in what sort of looks like a swampy map, with a bunch of water everywhere, and I can't seem to reach the building/ship that I can faintly see. (Colors aren't so good since it's nighttime and I'm in nightvision mode.) Mission name was called Bring Down the Watchtower.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 17, 2019, 12:54:57 am »

Yeah, that happens semi-rarely on swamp missions.  You might be able to make a path by blowing up a tree blocking a path, but AFAIK some configurations are just impossible without flight.  It's dumb, but I think the advice is just to retreat.  The game is balanced around retreating from or skipping quite a lot of missions.  You probably want to skip Pogroms (terror missions) for the first few months for example, the penalty is mostly removed.

Research gives a lot of points, as do later missions, so completionism quickly becomes more about getting extra loot and end-of-month bonus than threat of negative monthly score.

No, the threat comes from retaliations...  I suggest lots of guard dogs.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 17, 2019, 02:04:15 am »

No, the threat comes from retaliations...  I suggest lots of guard dogs.

Well, that was about the lousiest possible time for retaliation. I just got back from a nasty mission (okay, most of the nastiness was self-inflicted... "What are the odds that I'll miss two lined up targets and hit my own gal?") and everybody was wounded.

I had to defend my base with one unit who specialized in melee and a parrot. Between friendly fire and sheer luck, my parrot actually killed three units before being downed. Too bad, since I think the only unit left alive was a UFO-bot. Not that I had high hopes for a parrot to win.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 17, 2019, 03:24:34 am »

You can set an option somewhere towards the bottom of the menu to allow injured units above a certain threshold to participate in base defenses. It's actually really advisable because it gives you a chance to shove mutant meat down the throats of gals who'd otherwise be out for a long time to get them back on their feet faster.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 152