Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 151

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 215050 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #615 on: July 17, 2019, 05:05:32 am »

The swamp thing is a problem of the vanilla map generator, iirc, not something unique to piratez.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 17, 2019, 12:48:53 pm »

No, the threat comes from retaliations...  I suggest lots of guard dogs.

Well, that was about the lousiest possible time for retaliation. I just got back from a nasty mission (okay, most of the nastiness was self-inflicted... "What are the odds that I'll miss two lined up targets and hit my own gal?") and everybody was wounded.

I had to defend my base with one unit who specialized in melee and a parrot. Between friendly fire and sheer luck, my parrot actually killed three units before being downed. Too bad, since I think the only unit left alive was a UFO-bot. Not that I had high hopes for a parrot to win.

There is an option near the bottom of the advanced tab (in options) that allows slightly wounded gals to help defend bases. They're more likely to die than unwounded gals, but it's better than losing them all without a fight. You have to choose how low of a percent starting health you're willing to risk, though.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 17, 2019, 07:38:43 pm »

Ugh, so, I went back to my Reynard mission, and on turn 68 bughunt mode turned on. There are two blue blips in the sealed-off ground-floor room with no doors or windows, and walls I can't punch through with rockets or explosives [re-loading to the just-before-mission save and briefly trying every explosive I have access to on the outer walls suggests nothing short of Plasma Breaching Charges will destroy the (metal) walls of the prison, grrr]. I'm torn between reloading a save from right before I flew to the site and hoping when it regenerates the site it's not got the same impossible-to-enter area (and OMG I could do this mission better knowing what I know now about how the prison is generally laid out), and tediously hauling all the prisoners to the APC and keeping the "progress" I made over the last 68 turns (it'd probably be pretty nice training for everyone involved).

If "you can't kill everyone to win this mission" was a feature, not a bug, I'd really have preferred either a time limit like the mansion mission to suggest you shouldn't wander forever trying to find stragglers that aren't there, or at least a very clear explanation that normal "kill everything" tactics weren't going to work.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:42:19 pm by E. Albright »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 17, 2019, 07:53:53 pm »

Yeah, this is why ironman supermutant isn't recommended. Or play just enough of it to be used to rolling with what you've got unless the game screws up, then turn it back off.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 17, 2019, 08:02:07 pm »

Fakedit:  Yeah, screw Supermutant.

Reloading the map won't help (even if it regenerates the map, which I think requires a savescum option), Dioxine does that *on purpose* on *many* maps.  I've whined about it before.  Best I can tell you're supposed to evacuate such missions manually, or bring stuff big enough to break your way into the little hidey-holes.  I forget how you're supposed to even find them, maybe some mid-late lifesense voodoo IDK.

Personally I edited the Bughunt mode to trigger on turn 30 regardless of the number of enemies.  Bughunting was already the most tedious part of X-COM, and you knew the bugs were actually *accessible*.  Now they might not be, and the morale and stamina-drain mechanics are making your life even more tedious for "taking too long".  I'm not trying to camp, dammit, I only want to clear the mission - but a troll in a nonsensical immersion-breaking rock cage is stopping me.

I mad.  When it happened on the Technomancer mission, I just debug-killed it out of spite then stopped playing shortly after.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 17, 2019, 09:02:04 pm »

I have savescum on, so it definitely does regen the map. A quick test shows nothing I possess except $70k-a-pop Plasma Breaching Charges will even scratch prison walls (although THOSE make lovely 3-wide holes). On this mission, it's obvious WHERE the last enemies are hiding; it's just really REALLY hard to get at them through the all-walls-no-door perimeter they're hiding in.

There's a certain sense to it, I suppose, but it's still extremely annoying how unclear it was going into the map that none of the demo tools that'd worked on every map up until then would be useless to break into what I am stubbornly assuming is the prison control room. I suppose I'll debug-cheat to resolve this mission, cram a couple of breaching charges in my Shadowbat for future exigencies, and take all the wasted time as a lesson learned.

[2 wolfmen locked in the most secure room in the prison... the prison gym?!? WTH? Okay, that makes no sense and I'm back to being 100% annoyed.]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 09:12:07 pm by E. Albright »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 17, 2019, 10:13:02 pm »

And how did they get in there if there are no doors? At least leave behind some rubble from where they caved it in to contain them.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 18, 2019, 12:45:33 am »

Fakedit:  Yeah, screw Supermutant.

Reloading the map won't help (even if it regenerates the map, which I think requires a savescum option), Dioxine does that *on purpose* on *many* maps.  I've whined about it before.  Best I can tell you're supposed to evacuate such missions manually, or bring stuff big enough to break your way into the little hidey-holes.  I forget how you're supposed to even find them, maybe some mid-late lifesense voodoo IDK.

Cats (lifesense), dogs (motion scanner), Aye-Phone(motion scanner)

The gym on layer 2 can be broken into from the locker room next to it.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 18, 2019, 02:19:50 am »

On the isolated areas, I understood it's implied that some of the wall tiles are sealed off doors.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 18, 2019, 02:54:55 am »

Aye, I'll concede that there was a tile that was somewhat door-ish (and I suppose it was just bad luck that the rocket I shot in the locker room must not have cracked it - though that's still a REALLY substantial-looking door for a gym). However, the fact that the door is facing in a direction that's not visible is still not a good thing design-wise. I'll scale my annoyance back to a more reasonable 50%, but no lower.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 18, 2019, 05:10:42 am »

So two things I've been trying to figure out-- is there something specific I should do with hostages or is it on a case-by-case basis (like Academy Nurses-- 15k for fencing them, 7k+3 bandages for robbing, or get random info for interrogating them), and is there any easy way of identifying hostiles vs friendlies or do I just need to learn what the sprites are?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 18, 2019, 06:29:41 am »

When you click on the numbers on the left it should jump to the hostile in question. Other than that you have to learn the sprites. Or middle click them, most of the civilian names are pretty obvious.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 18, 2019, 08:04:58 am »

IIRC interrogating hostages will give you infamy bonuses.

Other than that, it depends on what you want or need at the time. I think some of the later enemies will drop armor components when robbed, and if you need quick cash, ransoming foes isn’t a half bad way of doing so (though I’d recommend trying to sell any excess materials first, so you can free up warehouse space).

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 18, 2019, 08:37:59 am »

Does anyone know what the formula is for the chances of a ranged weapon getting knocked aside in melee? Sometimes when you come around a corner and find an enemy, you can shoot them successfully, and the second shot will go wide. I've also seen shotguns successfully take out all of the gals surrounding an enemy (which should probably be either the highest stat gal or multiple attempts to wrestle the gun away?).

So two things I've been trying to figure out-- is there something specific I should do with hostages or is it on a case-by-case basis (like Academy Nurses-- 15k for fencing them, 7k+3 bandages for robbing, or get random info for interrogating them), and is there any easy way of identifying hostiles vs friendlies or do I just need to learn what the sprites are?

It's not quite random, each type has a list of things you can learn. If you right(?) click on them in the prison or the "you have too many prisoners, ransom some" menu, it will show you what you can learn from them. More importantly for civilians, I think it removes the penalty for capturing them (killing and looting still have penalties) once they're interrogated.

You can also click on anyone in battle to see who they are, and middle(?) click them to see the paper doll, including what weapons they have. The early hint you get from research that says you should try right- and middle-clicking (I hate middle clicking) everything is true. Oh, and friendlies are blue or green(?) on the map, enemies are red. That helps identify civilians.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 18, 2019, 09:33:06 am »

Does anyone know what the formula is for the chances of a ranged weapon getting knocked aside in melee? Sometimes when you come around a corner and find an enemy, you can shoot them successfully, and the second shot will go wide. I've also seen shotguns successfully take out all of the gals surrounding an enemy (which should probably be either the highest stat gal or multiple attempts to wrestle the gun away?).

From what I found out, chance for attack to go off correctly (for melee it is chance to hit ) with hostiles next to you seems to be calculated like this:
Weapon.Sucess_chance = Weapon.Modified_Hit_Chance * Weapon.CQC - Armor.Dodge_Bonus * Flanking_Modifier

Weapon.Modified_Hit_Chance is hit percentil of a weapon, already modified by applicable skills.
Weapon.CQC is modifier for accuracy with enemies next to you. It can be found in Anal for weapon in question. Melee weapons do not use it, so in their case substitute 1 (100%).
Armor.Dodge_Bonus is either a formula depending on defender's reactions and melee, or a flat value. It depends on armor worn. It can be found in Anal for any armor.
Flanking_Modifier depends on how defender is turned (and their armor). Attacks from behind usually have Flanking_Modifier 0.5 (50%), attack from the side 0.75 (75%). Some armors have better flanking modifiers.

Also, every sucessful CQC defence costs 8 Energy. Unsucessful costs nothing (other than potentialy your life).

I do not know whether CQC is calculated separately for every defender, if best defender is taken, or if random defender is taken. I assume that in case of melee attacks the defender is always the attacked one.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 151