Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 224821 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1095 on: September 12, 2019, 03:45:13 pm »

It sounds like the new Weird Gal Transformation makes gals as good as slaves at psychic stuff. Does it also harm their other stats?

Lunatics are slightly better, and can apparently compete with bugeyes if they have the right suits, but don't bugeye outfits also add to VooDoo skill or power? Obviously gals have the TU and HP to get anywhere near enemies (avoiding the drop-off that starts at 2? tiles away), which is already better than the "stand there and mind control people with your huge brain" tactics of the bugeyes.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: September 12, 2019, 07:17:44 pm »

It sounds like the new Weird Gal Transformation makes gals as good as slaves at psychic stuff. Does it also harm their other stats?

Yep, there are some costs but it's a fair trade-off (in my opinion).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Biggest issue may just be the recovery time - about two and a half months, at least without medical facilities.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: September 13, 2019, 09:46:10 am »

On the subject of later transporters, I've seen a few people praising Delivorators. What about Thunderhorses? The 24 carry capacity seems pretty hawt for atmospheric operations; how's the layout?

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: September 13, 2019, 10:47:06 am »

You can count me as a pro-Deliverator vote as well, for what it's worth. The high speed makes it a passable interceptor in a pinch (assuming you've got good light weapon options), and the rapid response allows better control over engagement timing (i.e. day or night). Setup inside is tight and awkward, and one of the entrances is above-ground, but no windows or other openings. I use it for an elite, no-vehicle squad.

Haven't used the Thunderhorse yet, but I have read that a) there's an opening at the top, and b) that opening is ripe for grenades.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: September 13, 2019, 05:29:49 pm »

That's why I stick with the Shadowbat so long: The only windows are on the 3rd floor, and that's hard to hit. Kneeling gals on the wing-exits can be hit from very few directions. And deploying off the ground makes the jobs of chrysallids, zombies, and dogs "somewhat" more difficult (can zombies climb ladders?).

Your forces are split into 3 groups, separated by doors (which at least means you can hear enemies wandering around in there), and the un-closable exit/entrance at the...front? can be a pain, but at least doesn't lead directly to anyone. The light that can't be turned off is also kind of a pain if you're not careful. So 3 not-great design decisions that are also all slightly mitigated by the way they're used (the light doesn't shine on certain areas so you can avoid it, the entrance doesn't let enemies shoot you, and the groups aren't *that* far separated).

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: September 13, 2019, 06:06:58 pm »

I like the Thunderhorse. It is my main transport, but I admit to reloading after realizing after finishing a mission that most of my stuff was gone. No one had died from that grenade, so I didn't even bother looking at my stockpile.
Some enemies like mercs and waspites seem to like to throw grenades more than others. So I fight them with the Devastator (and before the Deliverator). Same with enemies that bring a lot of heavy explosives, like attacks on supply ships and the Sitzkrieg bounty mission.
For almost everything else including cyberdiscs I am confident enough that I can kill quickly enough, if I have to on turn 1, and that the tanks/power armor at the ramps can survive at least a turn.

btw, I attacked a merc heavy gunship (I kinda need the synthmuscle mesh, and the base that could produce it has other things to do), and most of them were standing around outside.
My Furiosa+Blood Axe gal killed 18 of them on turn 2. Most of the rest were killed by a gal in blitz+Blood Axe. It was over at the end of turn 3.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: September 14, 2019, 06:30:12 am »

I use Thunderhorses as main transport. Deliverator used to be my space shuttle, but I have since switched to the Prospector.

Deliverator: Space for 10 crew or an HWP and 6.
                 Two exits, a single door and a 2-wide gate, both protected by doors. The 2-wide one is in the air.
                 Spaceworthy

Positives: Your crew inside is protected from grenades and shots by doors.
              Enemies can use only the bottom entrance to infiltrate the vehicle.

Negatives: Small
               If you take a non-flying HWP and it exits the vehicle, it can not retreat.

Prospector: Space for 12 crew or 8 crew and 1 HWP
                 1 2-wide exit, 2 1-wide exits, one of which is in the air. All covered by doors.
                 Spaceworthy

Positives: Your crew inside is protected from grenades and shots by doors.
              EDIT: 4 free chunks of Metal ore per mission

Negatives: Large dead angle on small door due to inaccesible tiles.

Thunderhorse: Space for 24 crew or 4 HWPs and 8 crew
                     2 2-wide ramps to the ground.
                     1 2-wide ramp to the roof
                     1 1-wide ramp to the ground, protected by door.

Positives: Large
              Roof access, allowing HWP to deploy in spite of possible obstructions and non-flying Snipers/Archers to deploy to a semi-safe location.

Negatives: The item pile can be hit by a stray grenade.
               No doors on the large ramps, allowing hostiles to shoot inside.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 06:33:47 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: September 14, 2019, 08:38:52 am »

Nice review, Mathel. Thank you.

Edit: Remember when upgrading: Xpedia.bat is in the root folder, not the xpedia folder where you'd expect it.
Edit 2: And also that you need to move the saves, config file, and the X-com files the game runs off. That last bit is useful if you're also an idiot just woke up.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 09:46:03 am by Iduno »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: September 16, 2019, 03:32:51 pm »

Also, the newest version no longer has the blue color for research topics you haven't done yet or manufacturing projects you've never done. Everything is white. It makes research fun when you don't have any idea if one of your other bases is already researching something.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: September 16, 2019, 03:48:35 pm »

I think it is optional now, have a look at the options.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: September 19, 2019, 11:10:41 pm »

Also, the newest version no longer has the blue color for research topics you haven't done yet or manufacturing projects you've never done. Everything is white. It makes research fun when you don't have any idea if one of your other bases is already researching something.
I think it is optional now, have a look at the options.

Specifically, 'Highlight New Topics', at the bottom of the list. I was wondering about that too.

And what on earth is with these pogroms... the first two I ran into both had armored cars. Thankfully, I managed to actually succeed in both missions (technically...) with one and two civilian survivors each, and something like 30 hostiles.

And pogrom 5: Demonic guys this early?!
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: September 20, 2019, 11:17:08 am »

Doom guys are easy, and while pinkies have a lot of hp they are easy to hit und have no armour. The worst are the imps, age those die easily as well.
It is a lot easier than church/guild/academy and has no armored cars.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: September 20, 2019, 11:21:05 am »

Remember that if you haven't yet joined the Mutant Alliance, you're not obligated to deploy to pogroms. I'll add the usual refrain for this mod of 'sometimes it's better to cut your losses and run away'.

But yes, thanks to the overall setup it's easy to get missions early on where you're out of depth. Thankfully, you don't need to always do them.

(Also, I'd agree with Rince Wind that demons aren't really that bad to face. Just be careful of the gunners with UAC chainguns, and the odd rocket launcher.)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: September 20, 2019, 11:47:18 am »

And what on earth is with these pogroms... the first two I ran into both had armored cars. Thankfully, I managed to actually succeed in both missions (technically...) with one and two civilian survivors each, and something like 30 hostiles.

At least gambling can get you early LASSes. Or a hammer/half dozen HE grenades if you're desperate. Those are the ratling/ghoul pogroms, right? At least you got some good research and car parts early.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: September 20, 2019, 12:29:39 pm »

At least gambling can get you early LASSes. Or a hammer/half dozen HE grenades if you're desperate. Those are the ratling/ghoul pogroms, right? At least you got some good research and car parts early.

I was packing javelins and bows for the most part, with a cannoneer. It seemed ill-advised to rush a car with that, so I mostly kept my head down and cleared out the rest of the area so I had room to fight in... and rushed it with a hammer. One explosive cannonball, one regular cannonball, and a hit with a hammer did the job on the second one.

Doom guys are easy, and while pinkies have a lot of hp they are easy to hit und have no armour. The worst are the imps, age those die easily as well.
It is a lot easier than church/guild/academy and has no armored cars.

It was more that I thought that demonic guys were hardcoded to not spawn until that base invasion like a year in; first time I've seen them that early. It was actually one of the easier (if longer) fights I've had, with only a single unit even getting injured-- one of my attack dogs took a stray round that only knocked off about half its health, so there wasn't even recovery time involved. No civilian survivors, though I managed to keep a positive score, at least.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 152