Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 152

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 222969 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1125 on: September 27, 2019, 03:21:43 pm »

In the Piratez succession game, I learned that chain mail only *mostly* removes the danger of the cave bounty C mission. There was also a Disciple of the Apocalypse with a spiked mace, which can almost one-shot you through chain mail.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: September 27, 2019, 04:01:47 pm »

Ouch, yeah I'm not surprised though.  Spiked Maces are powerful, I use them pretty often for armor-smashy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: September 27, 2019, 04:15:04 pm »

Melee weapons in general are quite dangerous in X-Piratez, outside of a few of the early options. A spiked mace, not exactly the most advanced tech, can take out heavy human armor without too much trouble and even deal damage to tanks.

That, combined with the CQC shooting mechanic (and the AI not stepping back in those situations), makes melee a solid option throughout the game. Risky at times, for sure, but nice.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: September 28, 2019, 09:26:37 am »

Melee weapons in general are quite dangerous in X-Piratez, outside of a few of the early options. A spiked mace, not exactly the most advanced tech, can take out heavy human armor without too much trouble and even deal damage to tanks.

That, combined with the CQC shooting mechanic (and the AI not stepping back in those situations), makes melee a solid option throughout the game. Risky at times, for sure, but nice.

That's my go-to plan. I like electricity for ignoring some armor and also not outright killing enemies. The AI does not have interest in live captures most of the time.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: September 28, 2019, 09:55:48 pm »

Glamour is apparently awarded for swiftness when on missions.

But it's also awarded as a prize for spinning the wheel.

What am I supposed to do with it then? Sell it?

EDIT: Also, how do I get more police revolvers? I can't seem to find any outside of stuff like, say, the "Spin The Wheel!" production in Manufacturing.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:12:31 pm by AzyWng »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: September 28, 2019, 10:25:38 pm »

Glamour is apparently awarded for swiftness when on missions.

But it's also awarded as a prize for spinning the wheel.

What am I supposed to do with it then? Sell it?

It's used for making courtesans into exotic dancers or squires into yeomen, both improvements are worth much more money each month. Also, making some armors and a few other late-game crafting things. You can right (?) click an item in most windows to see what's it's used for.

EDIT: Also, how do I get more police revolvers? I can't seem to find any outside of stuff like, say, the "Spin The Wheel!" production in Manufacturing.

Bootypedia says you need Contacts: Gun Emporium and have to have researched the police revolver. Although I think the second part is true of buying most things.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: September 28, 2019, 10:33:43 pm »

Yeah that's probably the main use!  It's useful for quite a few things in mid-late game.  You can see a list of uses in the sell screen by right-clicking the item.  Even uses you haven't researched yet, though they'll be censored unless ask for the names.

Totally ninja'd in regards to the revolvers.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: September 29, 2019, 10:18:03 am »

So, how about that Battle Tank in Jack's Bounty B mission, eh?

I landed 3 hellerium grenades inside of the shell of the tank. All got zero damage 4 times.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: September 29, 2019, 10:30:25 am »

Tanks are generally quite resistant to concussive damage and grenades don't have anti armour capabilities.
I use a rocket launcher with hellerium rockets and still need 2 to 4.
You can probably use RPGs with antitank ammo (be prepared to use a lot of them) or bring down the armour with chem before you try anything serious.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: September 29, 2019, 11:00:28 am »

So, when it comes to stuff like pistols and shotguns (bullets, not lasers, mind), what are your preferred choices? There happen to be an awful lot of both by the time you hit the mid-game.

I, for one, seem to be doing fine with Shiny Niners (for now) and Heavy Shotguns, though the Combat and Assault shotguns are also pretty good.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: September 29, 2019, 12:04:16 pm »

I have yet to try the newish AP Ammo for the heavy shotgun. But I mostly use the military one because of HEAT and AP ammo.
For actual shotgunning the combat one is better because of the autofire.

The Deathblossom is a SMG, but it is one handed and extremely good even after the HVAP Ammo nerf.
Other than that the Kustom Handcannon, which also fits into a 1x2 slot.

Most regular pistols don't do enough damage against armored enemies, unless you build special ammo like electric for them. Though I sometimes give two eagles to a gal.
The assault pistol and its successor the smart pistol are good as well. Lots of ammo and decent damage especially with the proper smartpistol rounds.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: September 29, 2019, 01:48:37 pm »

I took out the Jack B tank with 6-8 hellerium grenades, dropped from directly above by a hover-gal.  I know you said you got the grenades inside the "shell", but it's such a weird use of terrain I have to wonder.  I guess it registered 0-damage "hits" though (I need to find the hotkey to check damage rolls...)

LASS and Panzerfaust are a lot better than I expected against normal tanks and APCs, but I haven't tried against that stupid shell.  I bet it would take multiple shots to shoot through, but maybe a rocket from above would bypass.

Re shotguns and pistols:  I should look into using slugs in shotguns I guess, I avoided shotguns in general once I realized how effective armor is against non-spike-damage.  Kustom Handcannons are a lot of fun and effective, but before that point, I'm kinda fond of Manstoppers.  Confederate Eagles are similar but significantly stronger, of course.

I still like Linux SMGs too.  Not sure I can justify it, but they're pretty accurate and light-ish while having juuust enough power to work against standard faction enemies.  Enough of the time, anyway.  They're good enough to hand recruits and let them train a little accuracy before getting the real guns.
She/they

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: September 29, 2019, 02:43:49 pm »

Ctrl-h gets the last hits with current weapon/attack combo, or all fire on hostile turn (called reaction fire. It resets from time to time, I do not know what triggers these resets). It will do a -> for every shot attempt, with afterwards saying "0" for a non-damaging hit, "hit" for a slightly damaging hit, "hit!" for more damaging hit. The hits can also be capitalised, but I have not discovered the difference between a capital and non-capital "hit"/"hit!".

For multi-pellet guns, it shows hit of every pellet. For explosions, it shows every hit.

For melee, it only shows the last attempt.

I have not been able to get damage of grenades (or whether they hit at all), as grenades explode at the end of a turn, while at the start of a turn, ctrl-h says "new turn"
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 02:45:20 pm by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: September 29, 2019, 04:35:48 pm »

So, when it comes to stuff like pistols and shotguns (bullets, not lasers, mind), what are your preferred choices?

I like Silver Snakes and Precision Pistols. Those take more training to use, but they're fairly low TU, fairly high accuracy, and do comparable damage to something like an Eagle with high stats.

I still like Linux SMGs too.  Not sure I can justify it, but they're pretty accurate and light-ish while having juuust enough power to work against standard faction enemies.  Enough of the time, anyway.  They're good enough to hand recruits and let them train a little accuracy before getting the real guns.

The high-end versions have pretty nice melee attacks too. Better than pretty much any other rifle butt.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 04:53:42 pm by E. Albright »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: September 29, 2019, 05:10:52 pm »

I use Shiny Niners as my early generic pistol, moving to Assault or Smart Pistols when I can, then back to Niners with slayer ammo.

Though by this point, basic pistols have basically lost potency and I can easily knock them out, or they don't have too much value so I may as well just go in with a real weapon and save all the swapping around.

In other news, never assume you're heading into a milk run... I took two of my elite original gals to train a squad of Lokk in what was supposed to be a quick in and out with bottom-tier Academy guys. Instead I got an army of zombies, including a Funky Zombie who popped up out of nowhere (weird LoS shenanigans...) and a Sentinel. I guess the Lokks got an expensive object lesson in how it's sometimes a good time to run like hellissue a tactical retreat?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 152