Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 151

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 215064 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1530 on: August 24, 2020, 04:06:30 pm »

I finally came back to the version before this new release, I was scared off by the introduction of Freshness but it really hasn't been a problem.  Of course my air game is mostly nonexistent so my guys and gals get plenty of time off at this point.

Yeah, freshness was something I assumed would just need a bit of tweaking to be tolerable. I think the random bomb that destroys a large portion of your base or a massive amount of money was the more problematic addition.

Does it still feel like you're playing against the game/dev more than you are against the enemies, or has some of that been softened?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: December 15, 2020, 08:36:01 pm »

Read a question online: How may Imperial Guardsmen does it take to kill a Space Marine?

So I figured I load up Open X-Com 40k and find out.  But it looks like they put a new gun in the mod, and now it won't work.  It's probably one of those "if you have an existing game, it will work, it only fails to work for new install" things, otherwise I'm not sure why it wouldn't have been detected.  Or maybe I just messed up the install, its not like its simple or anything.

Was opening it with regular OpenXcom, instead of OpenXcom Extended.  Hopefully that fixes things.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: December 16, 2020, 03:21:54 am »

Is the 40k mod good ? I remember years ago thinking about trying it but completely forgot its existence, i blame old age :D

Anyways, there was  a new XPiratez release a little more than a week ago :
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=3626.0

I am starting to be a lot of versions behind, i really need to give a try to the newer one, but so much good old stuff to play , so little time.

edit noticed there are some bugfixes for that version here :
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4058.msg134605.html#msg134605

the 2 .rul files go to ...\yourXPiratezL6Directory\user\mods\Piratez\Ruleset\
and the .map file goes to ...\yourXPiratezL6Directory\user\mods\Piratez\MAPS\
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 03:39:58 am by Robsoie »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: December 16, 2020, 03:48:23 am »

Somehow going back to x-piratez seems really tempting. I'll be damned.  ::)
EDIT: Ah yes, stunned enemies now pick up weapons. Apparently stun weapons were too viable, so now they are mostly worthless.  ::)
EDIT2: Ah yes, actually that started when stunning all living enemies once didn't end the mission. It took five missions to remember just how much of a holy fucking shit (i didn't found the original  :-[ ) rules were and just how much dev hates the players (i know it's the really wrong one).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 08:11:46 am by MCreeper »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: December 16, 2020, 09:37:34 am »

It seems it's enough to stun enemies to end a mission, i gave a try to the new xpiratez and my first mission was on a sirius temple, with everyone equipped with baseball bats and handles (the default equipment has 2 bats and 4 handles convenientely)

Lost a Gal on some stupid gun totting moron that came out of a corner :/

I didn't let knocked out enemies wander around as i knocked them out again as soon as they went back up, so i can't say if they can re-pick weapons now. The changelog only mention civilians pick weapons more, but if stunned enemies can do that, that's going to be tedious to have to not only knock out someone, but then use the inventory to take items lying on ground, with all those AP doing this is wasting it's going to waste turns annoyingly ...

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: December 16, 2020, 10:58:44 am »

And not just their own weapons, they find and pick up stuff you dropped too.  >:(
EDIT: At some point "scientifics experiments" got a fun variation. "The air is ripe with psychedelics..." Every gal is stark raving mad by turn 5. I think it's very old one, though.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 11:07:08 am by MCreeper »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: December 16, 2020, 12:53:56 pm »

I can only imagine how good Piratez would be with a good dev.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: December 16, 2020, 01:08:00 pm »

Is the 40k mod good ? I remember years ago thinking about trying it but completely forgot its existence, i blame old age :D
V26 was good.

I held off on V27 because of QoI issues (basic reality checks were failing in the config files, not enough automated testing).  The second hotfix required to make V27 playable was not released, we got V28 instead.

I have no opinion re V28.  First whiff of howlers on Discord was yesterday.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: December 16, 2020, 02:28:45 pm »

I didn't let knocked out enemies wander around as i knocked them out again as soon as they went back up, so i can't say if they can re-pick weapons now. The changelog only mention civilians pick weapons more, but if stunned enemies can do that, that's going to be tedious to have to not only knock out someone, but then use the inventory to take items lying on ground, with all those AP doing this is wasting it's going to waste turns annoyingly ...

I'm almost positive they can pick up guns now; I was doing an X-P run a month or two ago and my SOP for dealing with normal hostiles was to knock them out and move on, since they used to not rearm themselves and they're pretty much harmless when unarmed. Then I started taking fire from directions that were presumed clear. (And this was on 'easy' missions like Temple or Lantern, where it's pretty hard to miss targets on a sweep and the number of hostiles are fixed.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: December 16, 2020, 04:23:50 pm »

It could be worse.  I discovered the change when a random church-goer wandered over to my equipment pile and thought the LASS looked fun. 

That was a couple months/versions ago, maybe J16?  Dunno.  Supposedly enemies rarely picked up weapons before, but I never saw it, so it might have taken some special conditions.  It's certainly common now!

What I don't know is whether that prevents them from "surrendering".  Enemies who recover from stun (or panic) generally don't stop the mission from ending, but those with natural weapons seem to.  I suspect that also applies to enemies who recover and rearm.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: December 16, 2020, 07:47:17 pm »

Your observation about natural weapons agrees with my experience zombies that they keep fighting and override mission end, contrary to what people keep telling me.

On the other hand, there were like 20 zombies on that map so it's possiible I kept missing guys who circled behind me, but I doubt I could've missed that many.

If that's the case though, I guess it's a tidy solution to how skewed the risk/reward ratio is for taking hostages, at least for the first half of the game. I wish it'd be easier to beat unconscious people over the head and just risk thsir death or permanent brain damage instead of having to tote around manacles.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: December 16, 2020, 08:34:19 pm »

I like it.  Pretty good conversion.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: December 16, 2020, 09:19:52 pm »

At some point "scientifics experiments" got a fun variation. "The air is ripe with psychedelics..." Every gal is stark raving mad by turn 5. I think it's very old one, though.

That's a terrain effect, it's based on the location. It happens on any mission that spawns in the right biome.

Intelligent enemies surrender if they have been stunned or panicked at any point. Animals, monsters and robots never surrender.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: December 16, 2020, 11:48:49 pm »

Been following xpiratez for years. It's had its ups and downs. I find most of the problems are people thinking "I know how to play xcom, so I'll start it on the hardest difficulty".
No, no you don't. Not the xpiratez version of xcom you don't. Bad stuff happens, that is simply out of your control. It's meant to be brokenly evil at that difficulty level. Like proper roguelike 1-shot, you/ your gals/ your base died, levels of evil.
But people love complaining.

Been meaning to try the WH40k mod.
Been meaning to make a Syndicate or Anime-Cat-Girls mod for years too :)
(pretty sure the phase-space for that is open since Kyzrati decided x@com/syndicate-mod had less potential than Cogmind proper. And a necromunda/spryer team of anime-cat-girls game does sound fun too)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 11:53:26 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: December 17, 2020, 02:37:41 am »

I always just delegated one gal to body-watching duty anyways. I could have sworn they were still dangerous before — they picked up their own weapons I think? It’s a bit more tricky now but hauling KO’d enemies to one spot where you kept a gal with a stun weapon to knock them back into submission was always reliable.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 151