Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 151

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 215081 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1725 on: November 18, 2021, 09:08:24 pm »

Did they remove the one that explodes on death? I did a chunk of zombie missions in early M2 (stopped around the time there were the Ninja base missions) and I don't think I ever encountered one of those.

I remember it used to be possible (maybe not worth the effort, but possible) to take them out of the battle non-lethally somehow. Stab them until they bled most of the way to death or something? Can't remember how anymore, let alone if it's been patched out or not.

Oh, it's definitely possible to; a fewlot of versions back, I'm pretty sure you had to for a few specific (unimportant) pieces of research that wasn't obtainable from other ways at the time. It just involved the same process as rendering any other zombie unconscious, except with less tolerance, which is a headache to do in the best of times.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: November 19, 2021, 02:06:33 am »

It's more arbitrary than that.  I'm not looking it up but here's what I remember:  Melee weapons will generally, not always, "bypass self-destruct".  You really have to check for each, though.  It's supposedly about damage type, but there are exceptions to that too. 

For example, I think that concussive melee weapons almost always bypass self-destruct, but explosives do not.
And melee weapons: one of the common damage types, maybe piercing, doesn't usually bypass self-destruct?  IDK

It's one thing when it's a zombie, but when it's a cyberdisk you need to get ANAL about it.  IE check the ANAL section for details.  The logs hint at what to expect, but at the end of the day it's determined weapon-by-weapon.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: November 19, 2021, 09:45:25 am »

I think most weapons designated for non-lethal takedowns are good at bypassing selfdestruct. That means low-grade concussive melee and electric.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: November 19, 2021, 11:33:40 am »

The general rule of thumb is that non-stabbing melee will usually not destroy things like robots, while ranged will be destructive (with limited exceptions). It's kind of a violence/penetration check.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: November 19, 2021, 12:30:01 pm »

IIRC, the "explodey" zombies (Strix?) do the cloud of gas regardless of whether they're KO'd or dead. It's not actually self-destruction, so you can take them down via ranged non-lethal (or since they're zombies, restrained lethal) weapons and still have them survive unconscious. Much more pleasant than Cyberdisks.

I'm still playing back... 2? 3? versions ago, though...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: November 19, 2021, 12:48:22 pm »

IIRC, the "explodey" zombies (Strix?) do the cloud of gas regardless of whether they're KO'd or dead. It's not actually self-destruction, so you can take them down via ranged non-lethal (or since they're zombies, restrained lethal) weapons and still have them survive unconscious. Much more pleasant than Cyberdisks.

Oh, that explains it.  In my super newest version, Dioxine made everything explode in Atomic Fireballs when you view it on the screen.
...and I bet at least one person believes me.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: November 20, 2021, 10:42:00 am »

Oh, that explains it.  In my super newest version, Dioxine made everything explode in Atomic Fireballs when you view it on the screen.
...and I bet at least one person believes me.

The "everything" pushed it too far. If it was only zombies and aliens (or whichever groups) for lore reasons, I'd have believed it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: November 20, 2021, 01:05:34 pm »

No no see, they only explode if you *don't* read their log entries.  It's an extension of that whole read-or-die thing.
Haven't you found and read log entry #42069?  This is really your fault, honestly, you POS.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: November 20, 2021, 03:07:03 pm »

That's a very odd way to get the player reading every entries.
So does it also mean that every time you play a new game, you'll need to re-read all of them texts again to avoid things exploding ?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: November 20, 2021, 04:06:37 pm »

(I was making a joke as well, but I understand how hard it is to recognize satire regarding this game.  What if I told you that sky ninjas in sand crawlers swarm the map about a year in, shutting down whole continents...)

Edit: I guess my joke really wasn't that far off though - if you ask for help in the Discord, there's a pretty good chance of Dioxine blaming you for not reading.  Literally, the expectation IS that you reread everything with every update, because stuff changes.  Which is fair to some extent!  Dioxine's just... abrasive sometimes, and probably hates answering questions that have answers in-game.

I'd praise him some more, but this sky ninja BS made the game "literally" unplayable for me so I'm sitting it out for a while.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 04:11:56 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: November 20, 2021, 04:49:41 pm »

Yeah, with all the design oddities coming with xpiratez it's very hard to see the difference between a joke or what's really happening in the game :D

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: November 29, 2021, 09:40:22 am »

New update is out, by the by. In addition to ninja nerfs, it features a starting bonus (or penalty!) based on where you position your first base. Both continent and country have their own parts, and at a glance they offer some nice shakeup to the first few weeks. Just... probably don't set up in Central Asia.

There is, however, a bug in that Dio accidentally massively overnerfed psi abilities (it was meant to be a more regular nerf to high-end users). Sounding like it'll get fixed soon.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: November 29, 2021, 08:55:46 pm »

In addition to ninja nerfs, it features a starting bonus (or penalty!) based on where you position your first base. Both continent and country have their own parts, and at a glance they offer some nice shakeup to the first few weeks. Just... probably don't set up in Central Asia.
There are some fun options here.

Thebian Hive/Egypt gives 12 elite peasant "assault clones" that start better than gals, and each come with 12 UAC carbines, 3 clips, and 14 armor aqua-suits. The most powerful start, if you don't mind the -650 infamy it comes with. With one of the slow 12 person raiding party transports, they might enough to clear any early mission type other than pograms. The lack of cover might be a problem, but the airbus is a deathtrap these days anyway.
Turan/Mongolia gives 3 hyena riders after about a week of research, and the tech to make more after you get mutant meat. They seem like they'll be pretty good early game, but each takes 4 transport slots, which is exciting if you use the initial 6 seat transport.
The Confederation/USA gives a few powerful pistols (1 govt pistol and 3 big irons) and a re-usable book that can research a few junk guns including ol' carbines, which are a decent early rifle. It might be a fine general choice for those who want to skip having to use muskets and flintlock pistols for the earliest missions.
Ghostgate/India gives slaves worth almost $70k per month. Be careful to start in the east to avoid the punishing Middle East start penalties.
Blackmarch/Germany gives 1 gnome, if you want a guaranteed early gnome.
Latin Empire gives an old earth book. It seems like it might be useful to guarantee getting one early, but maybe not. You'd still need to find sci books for libraries, and necroplane parts for planes.
Iron Tribe/Britain starts with necroplane parts. There is a new fighter unlocked by necroplane parts, Iron Tribe tech, and LITTLE BIRD. This is the start for rushing air.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 09:16:36 pm by Nirur Torir »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: November 30, 2021, 09:22:26 am »

Okay, THAT might finally be enough to convince me to start a new game. I'm usually Theban Hive by choice anyway, so it'd be kinda no-brainer to still go with that.

Just out of curiosity, what does everyone use for nightvision color? I've tried using Dio's default and have never managed to keep it for even one battle - I always flop right back to 4 (green)...

[E]: Looks like Australia/Death Realms starts w/Power Armor Parts, a Vibro-Sword, and a Raygun + 4 power packs.
Japan/Fuso gave 10xMedical Supplies, as did South Africa/Rogue Fields and Russia/Eurasian Autonomy.
Nigeria/Hidden Expanse and Columbia/Red Revolution give 10xSeagull Missiles.
Antarctica gives the same as South America, it appears.
China/Central Province and Indonesia/Pirate Straits give the bad bottomless pit.

Wrong version.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 05:52:39 pm by E. Albright »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: November 30, 2021, 10:48:51 am »

Interesting new feature as it would bring some interest in choosing different locations than usual when it comes to building bases (i usually get a base in a location that cover the most amount of land possible for obvious landing/downed UFO missions, so i always ended making a base +/- in central asia)
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 151