Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Single Player Zombie Survival Games  (Read 17625 times)

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Single Player Zombie Survival Games
« on: January 14, 2014, 08:53:48 am »

Here we talk about single-player games where you must survive during an undead apocalypse.

First of all, any game you suggest has to be single player. It can have multiplayer but it has to have a good SP mode.

Second, the emphasis is on sandbox survival. No COD Zombies, no Left 4 Dead, no Last of Us, no Dead Rising, etc.

It'll be best if we focus on indie games as most of us are aware of games such as ZombieU.

Did anyone play this game called Project Zomboid? It's in alpha but it's already pretty awesome. You can build, fortify, craft, farm and so on and you also have to deal with 'moodlets' such as depression, boredom, hunger, thirst, and so on.

It's really cheap right now (around $10 dollars I think) and updates are free. It already has a lot of features and by the time it's finished I think it'll be one of the best zombie apocalypse 'simulators' around.

Like Dwarf Fortress, losing is fun. In fact, the game starts with 'This is how you died'. And you will die a lot, especially when you start off. It could be food poisoning, dehydration, being burned alive, zombie bite, severe depression, etc.

The first time I played, zombie chased me and I barricaded myself into a house. Realizing I couldn't survive for long, I ate a whole bunch of sleeping pills and ran outside and fell asleep and died.

The second time, I ran around and broke into some houses for supplies. Then I put a TV dinner into an oven, curtained all my windows and went to bed. When I woke up, I saw my base's dining room was in flames. I was hungry so I ate an uncooked egg and died of food poisoning.

What games like this do you guys suggest?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Single Player Zombie Survival Games
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 09:01:57 am »

State of Decay
Survival Crisis Z
Fort Zombie
Zafe House: Diaries  There used to be another older zafehouse game that they made, not sure if they still carry a download link for it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:16:24 am »

Here are two free online games.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/ConArtists/the-last-stand-union-city

2.5 zombie game by Con Artist. The scavenge, build and fight mechanics are utilized in this game.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/sarahnorthway/rebuild-2

A pretty unique turn-based strategy game where you control survivors and try to recapture an infected city. It reminds me of a hybrid of The Oregon Trail and Civilization. Expect random event, recruiting survivors, building new places and so on.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 09:19:50 am »

Rebuild is awesome. There's a version for mobile phones that's just as good.

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 09:25:27 am »

I've been hearing about this roguelike called Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Many people seemed to love it.
I got the basic idea on what it's about, but can anyone tell me what makes it so deep and complex as people say?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 09:31:53 am »

Cataclysm is simply excellent, you've got a gigantic world, with cities , forests etc... filled with many things (not only zombies) , you need to survive , food, water, you can craft many things , traps, weapons, items with all you collect that will help you in seeing more days, even build or repair cars, and etc...
It's a lot of fun, though not finished as many interesting things aren't yet working great (NPC by example).

As a flash game, you have Shattered Colony , it's an excellent mix of RTS and zombie survival
http://www.kongregate.com/games/duerig/shattered-colony-the-survivors

You have Rogue Survivor, a mix between zombie survival and roguelike, it's development is abandonned unfortunately but the last version (alpha 9a) was excellent and finished enough
http://roguesurvivor.blogspot.com/

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 09:34:38 am »

Cataclysm: DDA is the obvious name for singleplayer sandbox zombie antics, as long as you're okay with roguelikes. There are two modes of play, as well: one with just a basic zombie apocalypse, the other with all of the content, which is much, much more than just the green zeds.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 09:48:08 am »

Cataclysm: DDA is the obvious name for singleplayer sandbox zombie antics, as long as you're okay with roguelikes

I'm on the fricking Dwarf Fortress Forums. Of course I'm okay with roguelikes

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 09:53:27 am »

Zafe House: Diaries  There used to be another older zafehouse game that they made, not sure if they still carry a download link for it.

Yes they still have it to download on their website :
http://www.zafehouse.com/2012/06/looking-for-the-original-zafehouse/

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 10:39:23 am »

Cataclysm: DDA is the obvious name for singleplayer sandbox zombie antics, as long as you're okay with roguelikes

Guess what. Not everyone who is on these forums likes or plays DF.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 10:41:42 am »

Guess what. Not everyone who is on these forums likes or plays DF.

True enough, a sizable portion of us on the lower boards either never or have not lately played DF. I don't think I've touched it since last winter. FG&RP, RtD, and Mafia are all big draws as well; IIRC our RtD board is the largest on the net, at least that I'm aware of, though the TVTropes forums have a pretty large number of RtDs running.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 12:54:01 pm »

They're all nothin' but posers, Palm Pilot hosers, gettin' their wicks wet with tricks dat we've all seen before.
Shittin' in their forum 'till their wankery bores 'em, 'till dey shirk updatin' their RtD and come lurk our FG&RP.
DF. Lower Boards. Represent.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 07:00:39 pm »

If you use the Minecraft mod MO creatures, you'll get absolutely swarmed by monsters, some of which are quite capable of destroying blocks (stone won't help you).  Try something like a custom flat world with a layer of grass, a layer of dirt, a layer of planks, and a single layer of stone. 

-There's also the zombie horde series. nevermind, not at all what you're looking for.
-also, "don't starve". not a lot of zombies per se, but beware the gradually increasing strength of the weekly(?) wolf attacks.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 07:05:37 pm by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 11:19:00 pm »

They're all nothin' but posers, Palm Pilot hosers, gettin' their wicks wet with tricks dat we've all seen before.
Shittin' in their forum 'till their wankery bores 'em, 'till dey shirk updatin' their RtD and come lurk our FG&RP.
DF. Lower Boards. Represent.
Sigged.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 12:35:08 am »

Rebuild 3 is underway currently with funding from Kickstarter already secured.
Pages: [1] 2